Thread: Textures want to move when flocking

Textures want to move when flocking

Hi,

I've got a bit of problem and I'm hoping you all can steer me in the right direction.

I am trying to create a seething mass of worms. I've created my worm and I'm using procedural textures to give the skin it's look. If I render out a single worm it looks ok.

I then use instancer and flocking to create my seething mass but the texture seems to move on the worm giving the whole thing an odd look.

I've uploaded a sample

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/izbQ2Qsj8C

If you step through it frame by frame you can see the texture move.

Any suggestions on what is making that texture move?

Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    Hi,

I've got a bit of problem and I'm hoping you all can steer me in the right direction.

I am trying to create a seething mass of worms. I've created my worm and I'm using procedural textures to give the skin it's look. If I render out a single worm it looks ok.

I then use instancer and flocking to create my seething mass but the texture seems to move on the worm giving the whole thing an odd look.

I've uploaded a sample

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/izbQ2Qsj8C

If you step through it frame by frame you can see the texture move.

Any suggestions on what is making that texture move?
    If you have your procedural texture set to world coordinates..that may cause it, uncheck that for the object you intend to instance.

Thanks for the suggestion Prometheus and in my first render of this scene the turbulence procedural was set to world coordinates and I thought, aha that'll do it. I changed it, saved all my objects, and re-rendered the blasted thing only to find what I set up for download.

I think I figured out the problem (an aha moment while sleeping). Any texture changes to the object, even when 'saved all' is used, doesn't get passed on to the instances. You have to remove the instancer, make the texture changes, then re-do the instancer. I've got a render running overnight. If I'm wrong about the fix I'll come back and post that my aha wasn't quite that.

Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    I think I figured out the problem (an aha moment while sleeping). Any texture changes to the object, even when 'saved all' is used, doesn't get passed on to the instances. You have to remove the instancer, make the texture changes, then re-do the instancer. I've got a render running overnight. If I'm wrong about the fix I'll come back and post that my aha wasn't quite that.
    Probably not that, instances are not their own object. You may have to make a UV map and texture it that way.

Deleting the Flock instancer, changing the Textures on the object, and then redoing the Instancer did reflect the changes in the Texture (i.e. turning off World co-ordinates).