Thread: Emboss Logo

Emboss Logo

is it possible to make Emboss Logo in any object from the clip map ,, or from Displacement ( map , surface) ,,,
    suppose you have a cup and then you want Emboss a logo from it ,, and the logo need to be controlled to make a depth .
    thanks

If you don't need actual geometry for the embossed logo, then using a Bump Map is by far the easiest. However, a Bump Map only produces a lighting simulation of the logo rising above the surface of the cup and if you look at it from the side, you'll see the logo isn't actually embossed.

If you need actual geometry (i.e. it will be viewed close up or from the side), but you DON'T need a continuous geometry (e.g. for 3D printing), then creating a separate geometric object for the logo which extends beyond the surface of the cup is fairly easy, using Bend to conform it to the curve of the cup, and placing it so it's within the geometry of the cup but rising out of it will work.

If you need continuous geometry (e.g. for 3D printing), then you need to tie the edges / polygons of the cup's geometry to the raised logo, which can be a fairly complex modeling task depending on how complex the logo is.

Good luck!
    mTp

Yes, it is possible to make an embossed logo using just surface displacement.

mTp talked about the various ways you might do it for specific results, BUT if you really just want to know how to do it in order to generate a still image, here's one way using surface displacement in LW 2018.

Apologies that I can't provide images to support the information.

IN MODELER

1. Create your object and subpatch it. I created a simple "shotGlass".

2. Select the polys for the area you will be embossing and create a UV map of the polys for that area. Then create a surface for those polys.

On my "shot glass", I selected a group of polys and I created a surface for those polys called "glassFront". Then I created a UV map and called that "glassFront".

3. Create a grayscale image for your emboss, where the color black is flat and the color white is the highest point; all in-between shades of gray will be heights between the tallest and the lowest.

I created a simple grayscale image in Photoshop; a white ring with the letters "RS" in the center in white. The background was black.

Then I shaded the outer edges of the white text with a medium gray. I used a small brush with white to make sure the centers of the white text and white ring were fully white so that they would be the highest points in my emboss

That was my grayscale emboss image.

4. Back in LW, I inverted my selection and created a new surface for the rest of the glass called "glass".

5. I applied the clear glass dielectric to both the glassFront and glass surfaces.

6. Open the node editor of your emboss surface (mine was glassFront) and add an Image node. Load your grayscale emboss image and set the map type to UV, then select your UV map from the dropdown (my UV map was "glassFront").

7. Link the Luma of the Image Node to the Displacement of the Surface.

6. Save and send your object to Layout.

IN LAYOUT

1. Select your Object from the Object Browser and select Properties. I selected my shotGlass.

2. Turn on Surface Displacement. For my purposes, I set the distance of the displacement to 80mm.

3. Select Subdivision and raise your Render SubPatch number.

For my emboss to be smooth, I set the Render Subpatch to 225. That made my emboss beautifully smooth on my glass surface and on my system, the render time was still very good.

Your design may not require such a high subpatch, depending on how smooth you need your emboss or how complex it is.

So, in the end I ended up with a small shot glass with "RS" embossed on it in Mister Earl Bold inside an embossed circle.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks friends
    Can be shown the final result and the steps