Thread: Best Way of Rigging

Best Way of Rigging

Helloes,

I am dealing with Rigging Low Poly Bipeds and Quadrupeds at the moment. I tried out a few ways, followed tuorials, etc. But I can't seem to fine a good, easy, reliable way to Rig a Character. First I tried Genoma. My problem was that there are SO many handles, dots, rings, joints, etc. that I often had no idea why I would need them and it felt like it was just way too complex for a Low Poly Character. I tried some different genoma Presets, but it felt like a very unclean process to me, so I decided to build an own rig with Skelegons. Pretty easy so far.

I followed this tutorial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evURhtxch0

After it worked out pretty good for the biped, it just doesn't work for my Quadruped. When I bind the IK Goal (e.g. of the ankles) and move them, nothing happens. The bone binding to the skin worked, though. But the IK Handle is just moving itself and nothing more. (There is a dashed line coming out of it that even shows the IK Chain).
    After looking for a solution I found another forum post, in which it said that this Tutorial is obsolete. But no explanation of why it is obsolete and what to do instead.
    So I tried the third method I found, which was the IK Booster. It didn't help at all. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but I had to adjust so many values for the limits of the rotation (so my mesh doesn't go crazy while moving) and it still looked wrong in the end.
    I was even trying to set up a Rig in another programm, but of course the IK Chains weren't imported into Lightwave. I still think that the very Low Poly Models I have might cause some issues. But it would be great have some opinions about what to use best in Lightwave.

Greetings,
    GC_Ruby

Rebel Hill is your friend.
    He has tutorials galore, and products to assist with all sorts of rigging situations.
    http://www.rebelhill.net/

1) Go through Rebel Hill's rigging tutorials. Worth the money, even if you plan to use an auto-rigger, like Genoma or Rhiggit2. It is always a good idea to know how things work. For a different prespective, there was a set of rigging videos by Lino Grandi as well.

2) In your examples, it sounds like Inverse Kinematics has been turned off. Recording Pivot Rotations does this, along with a couple of other commands.

3) Also, make sure that your respective rotations are set to Inverse Kinematics on the joints above your ankles.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Thank you for responding and pointing to Rebel Hills Tutorials. I found his Youtube Channel and found a lot of helpful tips.

@Kryslin Yeeeah...I think I forgot to set some of the Controllers to IK *face palm*
    So, it is a valid way to do it? I'm still a bit confused because I read that it's obsolete with newer versions. But I guess if it works, it's fine..

There is no one, true way of rigging a character. What method or methods you choose will vary depending on the task at hand. Rhiggit2 and Genoma are both very capable of doing the job, but there is still some character rigging I've done by hand, because of Genoma's and Rhiggit's limitations (Case in point, the weird articulation of a giant robot model I posted up in the Gallery, especially at the hip and legs.)

Looking at your linked video, that tutorial is still valid. William Vaughan's tutorials are still useful, 10+ years later. He covers the basics well. Just be aware that some of the details may have changed. Hence, why it is a good idea to learn from many sources.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    No... it's obsolete (well, sort of).

They changed the IK solver in 9.6 after those tuts were made. The controls and options from previous versions are all still there the same, but the underlying solver is different... following the old methods will give you IK that works, somewhat, but which is often twitchy. If you want stable and reliable IK, you have to do it the new way.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all