Thread: Walrus in a fountain

Walrus in a fountain

Hi, Im just starting a little project set in an existing fountain and I want to composite a Walrus coming to life in the fountain, I wont need any big time ocean tutorials to help with this as the only water ill be using will be the water in the pool interacting with the walrus (and perhaps some of the fountain water colliding with him)
    Im hoping this wont be too difficult but I cant really find many tutorials on this, especially as I would prefer to keep it in lightwave and after effects, unless theres some free plug ins out there I dont know about?
    Ive attached a frame of the sequence Ill be working from, im just going to repeat about 5 frames in a loop to simulate the fountain flow
    Im using LW 11.6 (I have LW2015 but i DESPISE the new surfacing system, so i went back to basics)
    Ive already modelled the walrus and I want to get started on the compositing...

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190629_111857.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	145372

Quote Originally Posted by ianay View Post
    Hi, Im just starting a little project set in an existing fountain and I want to composite a Walrus coming to life in the fountain, I wont need any big time ocean tutorials to help with this as the only water ill be using will be the water in the pool interacting with the walrus (and perhaps some of the fountain water colliding with him)
    Im hoping this wont be too difficult but I cant really find many tutorials on this, especially as I would prefer to keep it in lightwave and after effects, unless theres some free plug ins out there I dont know about?
    Ive attached a frame of the sequence Ill be working from, im just going to repeat about 5 frames in a loop to simulate the fountain flow
    Im using LW 11.6 (I have LW2015 but i DESPISE the new surfacing system, so i went back to basics)
    Ive already modelled the walrus and I want to get started on the compositing...

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190629_111857.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	145372
    Canīt think of any suggestions on what you want here right now.
    Just curious..donīt you mean the new surfacing in LW2019? I do not think there was much of difference in 11.6 VS 2015.

And out of curiousity for getting bones to the flesh when suggesting improvements in the surfacing workflow for 2019..if that is what you ment, what is it about the surfacing system you despise?

What im after is some kind of tutorial with water interacting with a moving object, i cannot find very much (though I did find a decent fountain tutorial) The surfacing isnt really an issue, that's just the reason I don't use later versions of lightwave, im happy with surfacing in 11.6 though
    What i hate about the new surfacing is... 'Principled BSDF'... What was wrong with having 'standard' as the standard!??
    I have no idea about principled BDSF and unfortunately for me...
    I have no desire to learn, as it took a fair while to learn the details of LW surfacing before the arrival of principled BDSF

Quote Originally Posted by ianay View Post
    What im after is some kind of tutorial with water interacting with a moving object, i cannot find very much (though I did find a decent fountain tutorial) The surfacing isnt really an issue, that's just the reason I don't use later versions of lightwave, im happy with surfacing in 11.6 though
    What i hate about the new surfacing is... 'Principled BSDF'... What was wrong with having 'standard' as the standard!??
    I have no idea about principled BDSF and unfortunately for me...
    I have no desire to learn, as it took a fair while to learn the details of LW surfacing before the arrival of principled BDSF
    I think the project is a difficult task for Native Lightwave if you aim for Water interaction with a moving object.
    If you go for a water particle fountain that is based on particle emitter, you could let the particles stick to the object (Walrus?) this means the Walrus object should be dissolved until after the particles are sticking to it properly all over the surface, then fade away water particles and let the object loose itīs dissolve and sort of fade in to the scene again with a matching water surface.

Much harder I believe to have the walrus animated and moving with realistic water behaviour, I would think you would a special fluid simulator for it such as Hurleyworks Up...
    http://hurleyworks.com/portfolio-ite...ortfolioCats=4

or DeepFX fluids...
    https://www.deepfxworld.com/deep-rising-fx.php

Additional commercial costs for them though.

I havenīt seen any kind of tutorial out there for this effect that I know of for Lightwave, neither free or commercial, (that doesnīt mean there might not be one)

There are probably ways of using Geometry and morphing to do something like this, it may also be so that the new VDB tools may be suitable for this, but if you think PBR material is of no desire to learn, then you would have a harder time learning VDB and this effect.

As for PBR, Well I do not see an issue with hating the PBR materials, they are more realistic and reacts to ligth more realistic for better rendering...for me itīs more of the workflow of acessing textures and bumps ..which then is a necessity
    to enter the nodes to deal with, and add image node, feed them to right slots etc, and you can not use gradients directly for some stuff, so yet more adding color layers feed it to right slots etc.

If we take blender for instance, you can add an image texture withing the shaders color if you right click on it, when that is done..the image node will be connected to the right slot without you having to do it manually within the nodes..even if you can do that as well.
    The requirement of nodes for PBR materials also means you need to spend time in the node editor, and since I feel the node editor is lacking zoomable levels, and a decent pan shortcut (most software I use now with nodes are having a simple middle mouse click and drag to pan and works pretty much the same, Houdini, Blender, fusion) while Lightwave has different shortcuts for this that to me is awkward.

An advice, ok..no desire to learn, but where does that put you in for position, not able to use Lightwave 2019 properly since the standard materials only go so far, so why buying in to it? if you didnīt research the PBR materials (if you did)
    Itīs not that hard to learn, itīs more the workflow that can be a bit more tedious, like the need of adding a projection node if you intent to use Anisotrophy values, which in blender works by default.
    That said, there are quite a few things in blender surfacing I do not like either, like bump handling, and texture coordinates which feels more fluent to work with in Lightwave.

i dontunderstand...

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

'dontunderstand'?
    In black and white... What i'm after is some kind of tutorial with water interacting with a moving object using just lightwave (and any free plug ins) and after effects... Im struggling to find anything