Thread: Instance Rendering weirdness

Instance Rendering weirdness

Hello, everyone!

I have a scene where I am instancing lots of spherical objects onto a subdivided polygon. The instancer type is set to 'Surface'. I'm using two spherical objects of two different colors to populate the subdivided polygon. In Layout, the randomly populated surface displays in OpenGL and renders locally the way it should.

My problem is, I'm sending these scenes to an online renderfarm for rendering and I noticed that the randomly populated surface has a different distribution and pattern to it than it looks and renders on my machine. Is there some setting in the Instancer that needs to be "baked" or "cached" in order to be used on a render farm? There's nothing that I can find there. I'm not using a particle generator to place the instances, only the LW Instance Generator. I don't believe I've ever run into this issue before.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like the render farm is running a different version of LW than on your machine. From my research / experiments, the InstanceSeed is correctly stored in the .LWS file:

Code:
      DisplayScale 1
      InstanceSeed 268435456
      MotionBlurTimeSlices 10
    but the pseudo-random number generator used by the Instancer appears to have changed between versions, so it produces different instance locations for the same seed.

These images of Frame 0 of the same Scene were all rendered on the same computer, but loaded into LW11.6, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.7 and LW2019.0.3:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW11.6_Instancer_RandomSeedTest.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	145351 LW11.6

Name:	LW2015_Instancer_RandomSeedTest.jpg 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	145352 LW2015.3

Name:	LW2018_Instancer_RandomSeedTest.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	407.0 KB 
ID:	145353 LW2018.0.7

Name:	LW2019_Instancer_RandomSeedTest.jpg 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	145354 LW2019.0.3

The SmallGreenBall at the center is the base object, so is always at (0,0,0), but the other instance positions vary with the LW version.

You may have to bake the instances to render them in constant positions on a render farm. Here's an old thread regarding baking instances:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...king-Instances

Good luck!
    mTp

I know also in older versions of lightwave if you reloaded the scene it also changed the random positions, I think this was rectified at some point (not sure exactly when) but for older versions it would have been impossible to network/farm render as each node would be different
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    I know also in older versions of lightwave if you reloaded the scene it also changed the random positions, I think this was rectified at some point (not sure exactly when) but for older versions it would have been impossible to network/farm render as each node would be different
    I've made this scene in 2019.0.3 and it reloads fine each time locally. Even on the render farm it renders consistently, but with a different random position than on the local machine. I wonder if it might have anything to do with the weighting of the instances. I have two objects randomly instanced. One has a weight of 100%, the other object has a weight of 20%.

Ive had similar issues with instancing when I move my Lightwave scene file between different computers - the instanced objects seem to re-randomize and the scene looks different. Ive also had this happen to scenes using particles, where the particles rendered in new/different positions when sent to a renderfarm.

The instancing issue I had was with LW 2019.0.3 (and every earlier version). Whats weird is it doesnt always happen, only sometimes.
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa
    http://www.youtube.com/user/independentvfx