Thread: Clone/Instance Items along spline and deform

Clone/Instance Items along spline and deform

Hi,

I am trying to take a spline path, created in modeller and clone or instance an object along it to create an articulated track, like a tank. I have multiple items in the tread creating a long chain of varying parts. Any Ideas how to get the links to deform along the path ? Instancing along a spline is easy enough with spline control but wondering best approach to get the instances to take on the path as a deformation.

Bryphi (sp?) had a vid of this stuff with spline control and part move but unfortunately he has deleted them. Likely to export this out of layout as an fbx, if there is any way to retain mesh data. ATM I am thinking I will have to bake instances.

cheers

well since no replies, I'll reply myself

I am thinking there is definitely a way to achieve this. Had a shot with bone chains but hooking up a lot of bones to the spline seems problematic. the individual bones in the chain are not uniform and wont loop round in a uniform manner. there comes a point where the chain goes beyond the spline, for some reason.

Also, assigning a ton of weightmaps is a pain. I did look at YS tools on Dstorms site but they are for 2015 and it is unbelievably slow in 2015 with long bone chains. 2019 is waaay faster.

With a standard instance on the spline, the instances are hard to line up, it gets very complicated and when the instances move around the loop at the circular parts, they do not follow the spline normal correctly.

i am pretty sure there has gotta be a simpler way with a single instanced lwo and orientation of parts to the spline. Problem is documentation and know-how within the nodes which equals time.

id say there is a bug in the curve to spline Python script. It seems to bring in closed curves with strange loops at points, which makes it useless.

any other way to get a spline in layout, from a curve in modeller?

ok, tried exporting a motion file from a curve on modeller 2019. so I could instance across that. Nup, broken, bugged. Motion path imports to layout in wrong place AND with wrong path. all screwed up.