Thread: Tricaster 860 Upgrade Help

Tricaster 860 Upgrade Help

Hello Everyone:

Our TC860 is about 5 or 6 years old now. It is starting to become a tad fussy. Videos with audio are playing back very choppy causing VERY BAD audio. I'd like to reset the TC860 back to default. Aside from serial#, what other info will I need? Is there a way to acquire the serial# w/out calling our pals at Newtek (something like Magic Jelly Bean for a Tricaster)?

The other piece of info I need is something of a TC860 upgrade guide for dummies. Is there a place that I may procure a step-by-step guide to download and apply all the updates available for TC860? Also, would it be a good idea to apply all Windows7 updates available as well. Basically, what I need is some instructions and to know of any "gotchas" I may come across upgrading TC860 and Windows7.

Last question (I hope). Most of you probably know that Windows7 is being end-of-lifed in January of 2020. For those of us still utilizing a TC860 on Windows7, does Newtek have an upgrade path to Windows10?

Thanks very much for your time,
    -Tim Daye

On the Admin screen there is a button to show the serial number and registration code, jot this down before you restore so you can type it in again if it asks.

The system restore will wipe out the C: drive, so make sure that anything you put on it is backed up first (fonts, custom virtual sets, custom transitions, macros that you have created). Media and sessions on the other drives will be left alone. I would also download the TriCaster updates (software, content) a head of time so you are ready for that step after the restore is completed.

Perform the system restore, it should take about 15 minutes. After this is complete, enter your serial number and registration key if needed. After that, you can update to the most current version of TriCaster software and content, you probably will need to upgrade the GPU driver as well.

After that you should be good to go.

The Windows 7 Embedded that is on the TriCaster 860 isn't the same as the standard version of Windows you purchase at a store, it's end of life date is a bit later than Jan 2020. At this time there isn't a upgrade path to Windows 10 on these systems. If you have had this system for 5 to 6 years, I would recommend looking at taking advantage of the current TC1 trade is program that is available. This will get you on a brand new TriCaster TC1 system that has Windows 10 and all of the latest new features and gets you on a platform that will give you many more years of growth and feature enchantments. https://www.newtek.com/promo/tc1-savings/
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Kane:

Thank you. This is very helpful. But, you do raise a couple of additional questions.

1. Where on the C: drive are the transitions and macros stored. I would definitely like to back them up.
    2. Can you point me to where I may find the proper GPU driver or guide me as to how to acquire the proper GPU driver? Is it as simple as going to device manager and selecting Update Driver?

Thanks again!
    -Tim

If you are running Standard Edition, everything is in the TriCaster folder found in the root of the C: drive. If you are running Advanced Edtion, then transitions are found in a folder called 'C:\ProgramData\NewTek\Effects', however the 'ProgramData' folder is hidden by Windows. You either need to turn on show hidden files or manually type in the name.

For the nVidia driver, you need the Windows 7 64-bit GeForce driver version.
    Here is the latest for 600 series and later cards: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/147962
    Here is the latest for 500 series cards: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/132838
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.