Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Bug in Graph Editor

Serious Bug in Graph Editor

LW 2019 on Mac OS 10.13.6

There's a bug in the Graph Editor that took me a while to pinpoint: If you set position, rotation and scale keys together at any frame, then go to the GE and delete a key from ANY SINGLE CHANNEL, it will cut the keys from EVERY channel at that frame! This holds true if you have only one channel selected-- even if you have only one channel in the bin. Essentially, the GE is acting as if you were deleting a key on the dope track, which affects all keys at that frame.

I've had to reset position and rotation keys numerous times because I'm animating by scale-- but now that I see the problem I am trying to avoid setting any keys in the dope track.

I hope this gets resolved.

Thanks.

Make a bug report - I also found some serious bugs in the latest release.
    Last edited by OFF; 06-21-2019 at 10:54 AM.

How do you make a bug request?

Menu > Help > Submit a Bug report.

OK thanks-- I did submit the report and here post before and after screen shots for clarity:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before deleting.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	669.8 KB 
ID:	145281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after deleting.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	145282

Just FYI, this doesn't happen on Windows 7 with LW2019.0.3:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_AllChannelsSelected_AllHaveKeysAt120.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	145288 All channels selected, all have key at 120

Name:	02_OnlyChannelScaleZSelected.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	444.9 KB 
ID:	145289 Select only Channel Scale.Z

Name:	03_PressDeleteToDeleteKeyForThisChannel.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	145290 Press Delete to delete selected Key at 120

Name:	04_AllChannels&AutoFit_OtherKeysIntact.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	145291 Select All Channels, Autofit to see other keys intact

mTp

Check the graph editor options. The behaviour you are describing is intended if "Lock Motion Keys in Time" is on. It applies edits to all motion channels, so that you don't end up with keyframes on some motion channels but not on others.

Aw. Happy ending

I tested but wasnt able to reproduce the issue here (using LW2019.0.1 UB64 on OSX 10.13.6). With "Lock Motion Keys in Time" turned off, deletion only affects the selected channel(s)/key(s), not others as well. If it only happens with specific revision, please indicate which revision we should use for testing.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I also wasn't able to reproduce the channel deletion error on 2019.03, Windows 10.

I've been running into another bug/problem though: CTRL + Right Click no longer drag copies for me. Has anyone else experienced this? It could be a Windows 10 + Wacom issue...?

Quote Originally Posted by glw View Post
    I also wasn't able to reproduce the channel deletion error on 2019.03, Windows 10.

I've been running into another bug/problem though: CTRL + Right Click no longer drag copies for me. Has anyone else experienced this? It could be a Windows 10 + Wacom issue...?
    It works but you have to drag along the contour of the curve to make it “stick”.

My issue with the GE is how difficult it is to move keys around. Hope an overhaul of the GE is on the cards at some point, it’s very dated and clunky to use.

Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    It works but you have to drag along the contour of the curve to make it “stick”.

My issue with the GE is how difficult it is to move keys around. Hope an overhaul of the GE is on the cards at some point, it’s very dated and clunky to use.
    You're right! That's insane. Not that you're right but that you have to drag the duplicated keys along the curve for them to properly replicate. I don't remember this being a problem in LW2018 but maybe that's also because I was using Windows 7 then...? Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by glw View Post
    You're right! That's insane. Not that you're right but that you have to drag the duplicated keys along the curve for them to properly replicate. I don't remember this being a problem in LW2018 but maybe that's also because I was using Windows 7 then...? Thanks for the info.
    I’m on a Mac so it must be a changed behaviour.

Hi All -- Original poster here with an update.
    It looks like Jarno nailed this: "Lock Motion Keys in Time" must have been on in the Graph Editor Options. Thank you Jarno. Never knew about this, but it does reproduce the behavior.

My apologies for raising the alarm out of ignorance. The Lightwave bug response was swift but they were stumped-- I guess they didn't think of this either.

Absolutely no apology needed, IMO. I can easily imagine myself looking at that option in the GE, turning it on to "try it out", forgetting I'd set it, and seeing the unwanted behavior you reported without realizing the correlation. Thanks for bringing it to my (our) attention - in case a similar problem arises in the future!

mTp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast