Thread: Python city block instance off y=0?

Python city block instance off y=0?

I'm trying to use the python city block object instancing for the first time. I have a scene set up and need some buildings around the periphery for background. Due to the camera angle, I need to set up the instances below the y axis and offset on the x axis, but I can't get that to work properly. I've tried saving the object off center as well as playing with the vertical spacing in the plugin, but I can't get reliable or predictable results. Does it only work with the object centered at 0,0,0?

Erich

Yes, the "base" object should be at (0,0,0), although to place an instanced building above ground, I'd expect the geometry to have its ground-level base or foundation at Y=0 rather than being centered on Y. When placing buildings on rough ground, I always have a story or two of concrete foundation in negative Y so if the center of the building is on sloping ground, the foundation shows on the lower portions of the ground.

You can use a node network to place the individual instances where you'd like. I've attached a sample LW2019 scene which uses the Distance from the original Base Object to place the Instances in -Y, creating a "hill top" top of setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_000.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	145213 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_030.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	145214

Name:	Final_Render_060.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	145215 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_090.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	145216

MOV File: Instancer_NegativeYOffset_DistanceToObject_RandomInstanceAttributes_small.MOV

The Instancer node setup uses the Instance's Fixed Random to rotate each instance by a multiple of 90 degrees (pi/2 radians) and to scale it randomly:

Name:	Instancer_NegativeYOffset_NodeSetup.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	145218

There's a separate node setup on the Building Fascade surface to give each instance a random color (based upon a Gradient) and random roughness:

Name:	Instancer_NegativeYOffset_SurfaceSetup.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	145219

Hope it helps!
    mTp

Wow, thanks very much for all that!

Erich