Thread: Fireflies in metal surfaces in 2018

Fireflies in metal surfaces in 2018

What is the best way to remove fireflies from metal surfaces in 2018? When you use high roughness you get bad fireflies but when you use no roughness you get a mirror finish with no fireflies. I would like to have some roughness to blur the reflections but can't get rid of the noise no matter how much I increase sampling, rays and anti-aliasing. I have also tried the noise filter options. Is there a good way to get rid of it, also what happened to edge transparency in 2018. I can't seem to find it.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Reflection samples are the only thing that make a direct impact from that perspective, the other sampling and ray options are largely meaningless... with a few small exceptions...

The fireflies can commonly come from interreflection between separate surfaces (or areas of the same surface)... especially if they're both rough. Taking you reflection recursions down can help in this instance.

They can also come from difficulty in properly sampling backdrop images, especially HDRIs that can have extremes of brightness in them. Using traced only reflections, and using the environment light, and upping its samples or MIS samples can help in this instance.

Once youve done that stuff, and gotten as good a result as you can... use the despike tool, which ought knock out the remainder. ONLY use despike as the last resort when there are otherwise incurable FFs and DO NOT use it as a common thing you just throw on all scenes as a "just in case".
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

(he is using 2018 so no despike)
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Oh yeah... so he is...

muh, dimebar.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks. I will try and see if that fixes my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Oh yeah... so he is...

muh, dimebar.
    Armadillo to drown yer sorrows?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1 View Post
    What is the best way to remove fireflies from metal surfaces in 2018? When you use high roughness you get bad fireflies but when you use no roughness you get a mirror finish with no fireflies. I would like to have some roughness to blur the reflections but can't get rid of the noise no matter how much I increase sampling, rays and anti-aliasing. I have also tried the noise filter options. Is there a good way to get rid of it, also what happened to edge transparency in 2018. I can't seem to find it.
    I haven't used LW 2018 but have you gone through this workflow as recommended in the LW2019 users manual?

LW 3D Removing Noise Workflow

Just in case you or others need it, the drop down buffer list can be found at the top of VPR window whose default button is labelled "Final Render".