Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clouds.....

looks cool.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

That looks cool. Is there a tutorial or easy instructions?
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 16 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    That looks cool. Is there a tutorial or easy instructions?
    no tutorial is existing from me..not sure if its out there in houdimi forums.
    easy instructions..not more than the short intro I gave.
    but that may not cover exactly how to do it properly.

I am planning on doing tutorials of cloudmaking in
    lightwave,houdini and blender...for that kind of covering I
    would need to make it commercial..it will also have
    scene content.

It depends on..I Have just quit my regular job as an administrator...and i will daringly try
    to get going with more 3D Related work.
    initially starting from monday..I am on a 5 week vacation..
    but at the same time working a bit on publishing
    a site showcasing various results
    of cloud renders from these three
    programs.

it will not be available though until my
    vacation is over.

I'll have to try Houdini on my big machine, it crashes on my laptop (even though it meets the req's)
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

I used Houdini to make my ground fog clouds...thanks for pointing me that direction...was easy to setup and paint the voxels..my only complaint is that when I would go back and edit the fog painting and export it didnt seem to save my changes..and sometimes it would save a file that LW said contained no grid information.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clouds-6.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	145248

I'll be adding some simple mid level clouds that start to blend in the distance.

Im working on making distant atmospheric clouds. Using skytracer2 at the moment to generate light probe and spherical maps I can use to com in AE later. The Real Sky plugin is nice..but lacks the ability to generate clouds in the sky, or to bake out the sky.

Thanks again for the help.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

I used Houdini to make my ground fog clouds...thanks for pointing me that direction...was easy to setup and paint the voxels..my only complaint is that when I would go back and edit the fog painting and export it didnt seem to save my changes..and sometimes it would save a file that LW said contained no grid information.

Name:	Clouds-6.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	145248

I'll be adding some simple mid level clouds that start to blend in the distance.

Im working on making distant atmospheric clouds. Using skytracer2 at the moment to generate light probe and spherical maps I can use to com in AE later. The Real Sky plugin is nice..but lacks the ability to generate clouds in the sky, or to bake out the sky.

Thanks again for the help.
    Oo..skytracer, I want that removed from the Lightwave product, too slow to render, you are better of making the clouds with the new volumetrics...and if you want a skydome as you are refering to..why not get some online, that are true photos?

As for houdini, I will check if there is an issue in houdini when saving out yet another file when you paint new changes, the change should be there if you do your paint change in the nodes before the convert to vdb node.
    I also noticed that your ground clouds are quite thin and not much of density and shadows, perhaps that is exactly how you want them..but curious, did you add cloudFX cloud light to the painted cloud volume, and also a noise..or did you just paint the fog and saved that to VDB?

as for doing it in lightwave and new volumetrics, you could just render out or take a screenshot of a top camera view of the landscape, then in photoshop o krita paint a mask in, once in Lightwave and working with the new volumetrics

Name:	painted mask for voluemtric clouds.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	771.9 KB 
ID:	145252

Skytracer is indeed uber slow..and i'd never use it to render during each frame. I've got many real photo skies, but none of them look right, even with processing in PS.
    However, for the first time ever, I was able to make skytracer obey me...lol

I do have a cloudfx cloud light in the scene in houdini, as well as noise, yup. I did notice that certain areas got thin, regardless of how thick I painted an area, which turned out fine becuase those areas arent on screen long. The cloudfx light isnt attached to anything though...does that make a difference?

Name:	HoudiniClouds.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	145255

Question..is it better to paint small and just use the noise to control the spread?
    Last edited by lwanmtr; 06-19-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

agree, they might as well remove it.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Skytracer is indeed uber slow..and i'd never use it to render during each frame. I've got many real photo skies, but none of them look right, even with processing in PS.
    However, for the first time ever, I was able to make skytracer obey me...lol

I do have a cloudfx cloud light in the scene in houdini, as well as noise, yup. I did notice that certain areas got thin, regardless of how thick I painted an area, which turned out fine becuase those areas arent on screen long. The cloudfx light isnt attached to anything though...does that make a difference?

Name:	HoudiniClouds.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	145255

Question..is it better to paint small and just use the noise to control the spread?
    You canīt have the cloud light node Not connected, it needs to be connected to the fog volume to work, what you do is to make sure you click on the volume fog, and thus jump in to itīs state as well, go to cloudfx tab and click on cloud Light, this should add two nodes, you only got one.

as for better paint small etc..donīt know exactly, a guideline is to paint without the noise first..you can add the noise to the node tree, and then check the nodes bypass flag...this allows you to paint the density where needed withoug being slowed down by the noise, once the density distribution is at your liking, you uncheck the bypass flag in the cloudNoise and you will have the noise working again, generally the density paint should be the main cloud..and the noise more of the edge undulation, but in other cases you may want the noise to be more spread all over the whole density painted area, it depends on what look you want really.

Cool thing with cloudFX in houdini, you also have advection noise, that is sort of a secondary noise distortion to add to the main noise functions, in Lightwave you would go with adding another procedural noise and feed it in to position or rotate channels to yield similar results, personally I like that kind of control in houdini, since it is built in to the main noise node, while in lightwave you have to add yet another node and plugin it in and open itīs settings.

As far as density thickness, (not distribution) within the volume painted area, you click on the paintfogvolume and in the volume tab you have density scale..lower value thinner cloud, higher value thicker cloud, this isnīt something you should try and paint in to increase thickness.

Name:	cloud light.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	145256

Weird that it only added one node...I'll check the file again and re-export later with the light attached..Odd that I see the shading, even with it not attached.
    Yeah, I turn on the noise bypass when i've gone back to paint more, otherwise its slow. I been using the density scale, etc to get it how I like..I dont want full on thick clouds..not until they are nearer the edges to obscure the distant peaks a bit.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    I've got many real photo skies, but none of them look right, even with processing in PS.
    What about them looks wrong?
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

they just dont have the style I want ...either heavily overcast or too puffy...or wrong time of the day
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

they just dont have the style I want ...either heavily overcast or too puffy...or wrong time of the day
    Thatīs real life, it just doesnīt adapt to our needs as much as we want

Have you checked previews of commercial hdrīs etc? free ones are not that many and limited in style, skytracer is in my opinion not yielding good enough clouds..but that is my taste I guess, and the time it takes to render one may ask if itīs not worth investing in terragen instead.

vue and terragen perhaps for designing your backdrop skies, where Terragen is the cheaper one, and yet the one that produces the best looking skies out there, if it werenīt for the UI and some other minor things in rendering of the previews, I would probably have bought it, I would like to see some advancement first before I commit to that.

Otherwise Lightwave solely, placing volumetric items (preferably the cube mode) strategicly within a range you determine your camera will pan around and focus at..that might do it, and use the VR camera to render out a panorama backdrop, the tricky part may be to have the volume item large enough to horizon etc, or simply clone cloud items and move them further awy towards the horizon, I wish the newtek team could provide a Volume item layer that is fully infinite, just as it is in vue, terragen, ozone, ogo taiki...and to some extent sky tracer does this too, but itīs too slow and too old and not using any newer volumetric algorithm.

I know this thread has turned a bit in to a lot of houdini workflows, though I hope this may be okay since I am also refering to the use together with Lightwave with the use of the VDB tools.

I Just noticed this new Training release of Creating volumetrics in Houdini from Gnomon..itīs based on VDB and you can use all this houdini training you have learned..and to get the VDBīs to Lightwave if needed.

Though this tutorial seem to reach a high level of technical and know how skills, I think it has some way to go when it comes to adjusting noise to more realistic clouds ..from what I can see, the part that looks good
    is the cloud formation within the valley though, I thought it was fitting since that is the kind of looks I think the thread starter wantīs, I think.

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tu...eid=fa0591e128

Well, if the free Houdini Apprentice can be used as a free cloud plugin for LW, it's all good.
    /Edit, free for non commercial use.
    Last edited by Free4Ever; 06-20-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast