Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clouds.....

yes, Houdini is cool like that.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    Well, if the free Houdini Apprentice can be used as a free cloud plugin for LW, it's all good.
    /Edit, free for non commercial use.
    Their apprentice license is fantastic, it letīs you learn and include itīs power with other software, using it non commercially for your own personal showcase is very nice of them, and respectfully one should get one of the commercial licenses when that time comes someone wants you to do what you actually showcased.

Yeah Skytracer's clouds arent totally realistic, which suits my needs at the moment.... That might change when I work on the lighting for the daylight shot. The rendertime on an 8192 spherical map (yeah, I know thats large, but better to do that and scale down) ran over an hour on my 32 thread beastie.

Houdini is turning out to be great as a VDB plugin for LW..lol...I'll definately check out that video, cause my clouds still arent perfect.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 16 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

One little good thing with Lw 2019..that is is the image autoupdate, so if you load your displacement map you have for a terrain, or a rendered top view or printscreen from it..and if you use a paintprogram in a window next to lightwave, and have the image loaded in Lightwave, then you can paint..then just click on the lightwave window and the image will update instantly, as will the volumetrics using that image.
    That will help if your painted strokes doesnīt look good in the vpr preview, then you just go back in the paint program and undo and repaint, click on the right lightwave window again and see it corrected instantly.

Image samples ..no terrain map, but you will get the Idea, and more impressive when you see it update directly, and it would do so when painting over terrain and have the cloud fog update in the window with lightave instantly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VolumetricHeart.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	145308

Figured I'd share a lil bit of what I came up with in the end...

I tried the Houdini method..and with a bit more work I could get it where I wanted it (may revist it before I hit the final render button)..but what I found was that It became easier to control a bit using the VDB Evaluator in LW...could resize and control the amount of scattering easier.

So basically I have a number of sphere and cube volumes for the ground and sky clouds...not a huge hit on rendering (though Id love it to be faster...hehe).

Name:	Dawn-Bru-Grad2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	612.7 KB 
ID:	145355

I was originally using the Real Sky plugin, but it created awful large fireflies when using interpolated gi..not going to say how long that took to render..but too long (not because of the clouds).

Thanks for all the tips n things
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Figured I'd share a lil bit of what I came up with in the end...

I tried the Houdini method..and with a bit more work I could get it where I wanted it (may revist it before I hit the final render button)..but what I found was that It became easier to control a bit using the VDB Evaluator in LW...could resize and control the amount of scattering easier.

So basically I have a number of sphere and cube volumes for the ground and sky clouds...not a huge hit on rendering (though Id love it to be faster...hehe).

Name:	Dawn-Bru-Grad2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	612.7 KB 
ID:	145355

I was originally using the Real Sky plugin, but it created awful large fireflies when using interpolated gi..not going to say how long that took to render..but too long (not because of the clouds).

Thanks for all the tips n things
    Real sky plugin? whatīs that? for lightwave`?
    You donīt mean the Physical sky backdrop in Lightwave?

Fireflies is most likely not an issue with "Real sky" but you need to increase ray samples in GI, also increase indirect sampling in volumetric tab may help.

Yeah, yeah..Physical Sky :P

Trying to keep my render times down, and Im sure increasing to the amount I need to clean it up for this will push me way past my safe time. Trying to keep under an 8-10 minute average, so im not watching paint dry for 3 months rendering...lol.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123