Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightning Effects How to in Lightwave ?

thanks erikals. no I was playing with footage in Fusion and was increasing the glow on the arcs with Soft Glow and then lowered X scale and increased Y scale and thought it looked cool. I also added Fast Noise to break up the streak and add some pinkish/magenta hues to the blue arc.

everything else is LW - the electric arcs, the flickering light on the character and some glow.
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

Fusion, gotta get back to that app.

nice stuff, keep LightningWaving
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

oh I will. Love how Lightwave handles cel shading and the new render things. I'm experimenting with a lot of character animation and vfx stuff. I've found a really nice way to handle facial animation with just nulls and a seldom talked about plug in haha

Agree with @ernesttx. I love the challenge of pushing the limits of what LW can do. I tell whoever will listen that LW makes it possible to create anything you can imagine. It might not be the easiest or most straightforward process, but for me, that's part of the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    Why make life difficult, AE is the best tool for the job.

https://www.videocopilot.net/tutoria...d_electric_fx/
    Itīs not difficult if you have after effects, itīs great for that stuff and youré on youré way much much faster than trying to do a full 3D version.
    But purchasing aftereffects just for Lightning effects, I am sure one needs much more incitaments to justify a purchase of it.

If you do not have after effects, you kind of have to make it more difficult.

To bad there isnīt some kind of free version of a lightning effect i fusion, maybe a workaround would be to steal real strikning shots and convert to shapes and animate those in fusion.

but there is a free one for Fusion. Download Reactor and look for Lightning Fuse and install. It was made by Stefan Ihringer. or download from his webpage - http://www.comp-fu.com/2011/03/lightning-for-fusion/

Quote Originally Posted by ernesttx View Post
    ...and a seldom talked about plug in...
    Can we talk about it? Which plug in?
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 06-17-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

but there is a free one for Fusion. Download Reactor and look for Lightning Fuse and install. It was made by Stefan Ihringer. or download from his webpage - http://www.comp-fu.com/2011/03/lightning-for-fusion/
    And there is where the fish took my bait
    I suspected there must be one..but I really didnīt work on finding out if and where it could be, so thanks for that work.
    Sample showcase from their site doesnīt look good though, not near the kind of looks from Aftereffects, could be that whoever put that up didnīt really push the plugin, I will take a look at it anyway so thanks for the heads up
    on it.

Just tried this plugin for fusion, and in my opinion, itīs not good for anything decent, canīt match after effects lighting forks and branching by a longshot.
    If not using after effects or using lightwave itself for true 3d strikning, you could simply create your own strokes in inkscape and modify with jitter etc, import to fusion as shapes and if needed animate, might even work to trace true footage of strikning, then trace them automaticly with inkscape tracing, and make shapes from that for animating and adjustment controls, if you only need a still, a simple photage will do, you can also generate random tree or l-system from inkscape and save out as shapes, inkscape uses svg among other formats, and fusion imports them without any problems.

Raymondtrace - I'm putting together a tutorial video about it, but won't be able to show it for a few weeks - vacation time. But, it's a plugin that has been in LW for a long while now but I've never seen or heard anyone talk about it. I started experimenting with it and found a nice way to handle facial expressions and lip sync. Oh the joys of experimenting.

Prometheus - I would agree on most counts, however, in playing with all the sliders, I am seeing some nice branching and crackling. I don't right off things so easily, as perhaps it's my own misunderstanding of how things work and the more I play, the more I learn. Could be good for quick, one-offs, etc.
    Last edited by ernesttx; 06-17-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Raymondtrace - I'm putting together a tutorial video about it, but won't be able to show it for a few weeks - vacation time. But, it's a plugin that has been in LW for a long while now but I've never seen or heard anyone talk about it. I started experimenting with it and found a nice way to handle facial expressions and lip sync. Oh the joys of experimenting.

Prometheus - I would agree on most counts, however, in playing with all the sliders, I am seeing some nice branching and crackling. I don't right off things so easily, as perhaps it's my own misunderstanding of how things work and the more I play, the more I learn. Could be good for quick, one-offs, etc.
    I would like to see images of that, either my perspective of what is a nice branching and crackling is differing a lot between our perspectives, or I must have missed something essential, but as far as I could see, you can not do much with those sliders to acheive any good branching and crackling, not anyware near good as in After effects good.
    It is good that you do not write things of so easy, but in the case of this plugin...I do not se how you can get any more advance complexity and forking as after effects can, there simply isnīt any sliders for it.

Old stuff, some mix of blender terrain, lightwave procedurals, old hypervoxels for clouds, and after effects lightning...though looking at it now, too much initial glow and should have used more forks and some smaller settings to adjust that.

I guess it all comes down to what effect you are going for. I've watched several real lightning videos and pictures and some lightning only has a single bolt. I would agree that if the effect was more in the electric arc'ing type (for example, cloud to cloud type lightning has multiple branches and crackling) then the plug-in might not be up to what someone would want. I'll experiment tonight again with the plug-in and see what 'bolts' out. hah

I guess it all comes down to what effect you are going for. I've watched several real lightning videos and pictures and some lightning only has a single bolt. I would agree that if the effect was more in the electric arc'ing type (for example, cloud to cloud type lightning has multiple branches and crackling) then the plug-in might not be up to what someone would want. I'll experiment tonight again with the plug-in and see what 'bolts' out. hah
    A single straight line bolt...is pretty boring, I would complain to Thor.

Dp tree works with line mode, and rotate it after it is created, create weight map, and use that as fading for color or luminosity, add corona for glow.

Sample of dp tree, and corona image processing, You need to adjust threshold to have the corone follow through the whole branch.
    Branch sample is a quick dp tree mockup, where the forking should be more advanced than this, and also not make curls on itself as in this case..it doesnīt look good enough.

You can also adjust the dp tree branching with strandmaker and use all knots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightwave Lightning.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	145239

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast