Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Effects How to in Lightwave ?

Just playin' around and had fun with this:
    https://youtu.be/9DP6kpMZMIU

A little more time and I might have come up with something a bit more "dramatic" or entertaining, but, really just working out workflow ideas.
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

Quote Originally Posted by ernesttx View Post
    Just playin' around and had fun with this:
    https://youtu.be/9DP6kpMZMIU

A little more time and I might have come up with something a bit more "dramatic" or entertaining, but, really just working out workflow ideas.
    Perhaps the look of it right now is a bit more of electric sparks conductivity moving a bit too much, like a powerstation or some terminator traveling through time electric sparks

I like the kind of lightning in the Prometheus movie 1:06 in this clip, a single main bolt with conductivity so to speak, but not distorted during time in its life, only a distorted shape bold with very short life span....
    And again, they stole their title from me...I did register that avatar name quite a few years before the movie got out, then again I stole it from the myth of prometheus, and prometheus stole something too..itīs all about stealing and get away with it

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Sample of DP Tree, and corona image processing, You need to adjust threshold to have the corona follow through the whole branch.
    Branch sample is a quick DP Tree mockup, where the forking should be more advanced than this, and also not make curls on itself as in this case..it doesn't look good enough.

You can also adjust the DP Tree branching with Strandmaker and use all knots.

Nice!  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Oh Corona. Didn't know that was there. I will throw that in the mix.

The free Krita also has a Lightning filter, It should work nicely for stills, though I havenīt explored the animation features in krita..and if that could be something to look in to when doing changes in the strikning settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krita Lightning filter.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	251.7 KB 
ID:	145240

There are many different programs that will create lightning (ie, Natron has a plug-in, of all things) and don't forget Hitfilm.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G4nqRbKNxE

Quote Originally Posted by ernesttx View Post
    There are many different programs that will create lightning (ie, Natron has a plug-in, of all things) and don't forget Hitfilm.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G4nqRbKNxE
    I Havenīt even tried Hitfilm, as I am aware of it is also fully free? or limited to some degree so once you try addons... it will protest or something, how does it compare against Davinci Resolve?
    And of course, have you tried itīs lightning workflow?

Still image with strikning from Krita, then gaussian blur, then a gradient set to foreground to transparent and brush set to erase..and drag out in the end area of the branching to get it to fade away, lastly ..the fx dodge brush for highlighting the initial
    high energy glow at the beginning of the strikning.

Just as strikning, which you never know where itīs gonna go, this thread is off topic now ..I am a bit guilty

Name:	krita lightning3.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	145241

Hitfilm Express is free, Pro is paid. I'd have to look into Express to see what add-ons are added, I feel Lightning would be available in Express (I don't think that is a paid add-on). If you try an add-on that you did not pay for, I think it's just a watermark on the image. For what Hitfilm is, I mainly use it for the built-in effects and export those out as png's or exr's. Hitfilm is quite useful for laying down a video layer composite shot, 3D environment, Mocha implementation, etc. With the upcoming Foundry 3D tracker, it might be more useful. Biggest hang up for me is the confounded way of importing image sequences. Each sequence has to be in its own folder and no other files can reside within that folder. Fusion just works better in that reqard.

Compared to DaVinci Resolve, I would have to go with DaVinci. Once I began using it, I felt quite at home; especially for long form films with Fusion integration, power windows, grading, etc.

That's a good image there.

I was going to say.... This looks like a job for Vertilectric. I still have the original diskettes kicking around here.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

I wonder if some of Mark Warner's work with FiberFX animation might lend itself to some excellent lightning?

Maybe FiberFX with animated surface displacement?

Just use Denis's DP Tree to make random polychains. (Trees upside down can look like lightning)

https://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/p...P_Verdure.html
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Name:	lightning_particles.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	145322

Kind of labor intensive but you could just use particles.

lightning.lws

This has the added benefit of being fully animated realistically and the brightness can change over time and fade out.
    Last edited by squarewulf; 06-26-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post

Name:	lightning_particles.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	145322

Kind of labor intensive but you could just use particles.

lightning.lws

This has the added benefit of being fully animated realistically and the brightness can change over time and fade out.
    Thatīs good and the motion is good..maybe some more forking, I added hvīs on it for rendering..may post later, though that canīt be used with the new volumetrics, since you have to use the legacy system.

I just wanted to chime in that real lightning is not uniform in color. It creates light beyond both ends of the visible spectrum, and one section of a bolt isn't necessarily making the same color as another depending on the atmosphere its going through. Remember, it's ionizing air over miles. You generally "see" this when looking away from the storm at what is getting illuminated in the shadows. Of course all of this is happening in fractions of a second so it's almost subliminal & most people only register brightness.

If you get a chance, re-watch the opening sequence of the Spielberg version of "War of the Worlds". They got it right for a change with the lightning "Effect". I say effect as they did it for real having a couple hundred Lightning Strikes units along the freeway ramp and I don't know how many generators to power them. Not exactly a common budgetary luxury of course, but hey. Some heads were gelled with greens & reds, & purples (I think Dave (the gaffer) said it was close to 1/2 mile of lights) spread throughout. The result probably went unnoticed by most but really sold it for me.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by MSherak View Post
    Just use Denis's DP Tree to make random polychains. (Trees upside down can look like lightning)

https://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/p...P_Verdure.html
    Itīs nice for quick setup, but you will always find you may need to adjust forking and branches..so it may be a bit tedious to set up actually to get what you want..exactly rather than randomly.
    another way is to construct the bolt with the line pen tool ..vertext to vertex and change drawing directions, once the main stroke is made, you could use artspheres divide edge to split the whole branch in to many uniform segments, that will allow for displace the forks to be more irregular and conductive while still have it being made manually where the forks should go.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast