Thread: [Bug] AE3 - Please Fix %DL Hooks in File Capture Filenames & Output Destination Field

[Bug] AE3 - Please Fix %DL Hooks in File Capture Filenames & Output Destination Field

Not sure where you guys posts bugs too. EDIT: UGH I just saw the sticky!

Pretty frustrated ATM as I paid for this "upgrade" actually thinking it would fix things like win10 compliance, streaming preview browser issues, ect., instead I get a bunch of broken workflow issues.

[Bug] #1
    This is a regression bug, it use to work as expected prior to AE3.

When you guys moved the "File Capture" from "Record" over to "Stream/Encode" it seems dev forgot to hook the datalink back up to the filename field. The "%DL" Icon appreas as expected BUT entering any datalink flags result in an error in the new funny little output listener in the top left corner. (Side note: of which would be an order of magnitude more useful with more information ;-) ) Reporting something like "illegal characters in filename or some such. I would use Camtasia on all these issues for you if I could install a screen recorder without nag screens or fear of system instability, the thing is already touchy enough. This worked fine in the past.

For example we automate our output file naming convention. see below:

Code:
    %Year (full)%_%Month (long, numeric)%%Day (long, numeric)%_%Time%_%Session Name%
    This %DL code functions as expected in the Record->Output filename fields (and prior versions of Advanced Edition)

This aforementioned functionality is super important to us as we use the .mp4 @10k kbps as our masters. We don't need any more than that.

The main mix files apart from having zero codec access for compression adjustments are just way to large to be shuffling 200+gb meeting files efficiently across our network. I still use this as a backup but would love to have some control over the "Record" master codec OR be able to switch codecs altogether. I do like the simplicity BUT having worked with compression for over to two decades I would love some control of the files I save, I am sure others would too.

[Bug] #2
    Also the Checkbox enabled "Destination" field in the Stream/Encode->Source Settings Dialog is not session dependent, it absolutely should be. I have three different sessions we use weekly I want to be able to direct file to specific locations, this is no longer possible. This is also regressive. Prior to the move to the "Stream/Encode" panel you could manually set the output file location of .mp4 file capture files.

Default Settings Issue: Default Audio Channel should be set to "Line" and not "Microphone". It has always been this way, seriously why would you change this? Mic level is ALWAYS secondary. Ask me how I found this out.

From AE2 Manual page 35: ( http://new.tk/TCAE2manual-01 )
    Generally, hardware inputs default to “line level”. As when configuring video inputs, choosing a local hardware audio source causes a configuration ‘gear’ icon to be displayed at right. Again, clicking the gear opens the Hardware Configurationpanel.
    If you need any further information let me know.

Tricaster 8000 - AE3 190429
    Last edited by JohnnyRandom; 06-06-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom View Post
    Not sure where you guys posts bugs too.
    This sticky post has the details: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...Reporting-Bugs

As it happens, I entered a case just yesterday on the DataLink issue (your #1). I'm pretty sure it will be fixed quickly. You should definitely write a case on the audio input level item.

Re: your #2, you might well write a case as well to explain a bit further, but a couple of comments: First, in the version I'm looking at, at least, there is no "Destination" checkbox. There is one labeled "Use Session Clips/Capture folder" (which happens to be above a Destination label). I would expect this to do pretty much what it says. Beneath this is a field that allows you to enter a custom path of your choosing, and of course you can create any number of File Capture presets, each with a custom path, so I'm not sure I'm following the issue, sorry!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks Steve, I caught the sticky right after I hit reply

Will submit for Default audio setting and wait until I get clarification on response below.

Bug #1 great news!

Bug#2 - exactly why screencap access would be great for bug submission, (win10 SnippingTool is ultra usefull for this stuff, even just prtsc access with wordpad) I haven't used this version enough to have clear memory recall. Sorry it is just the File Capture options custom destination.

So the workaround is to have a set of presets for each session? Hmm If that is the case, I think the whole stream/encode dialog should be session dependent to avoid a ton of clutter and confusion, user error is much higher to enable and/or edit the wrong one.

I did notice the stream/encode active presets are session dependent so that is useful.
    Last edited by JohnnyRandom; 06-06-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Bug#2 - exactly why screencap access would be great for bug submission...
    There's a dedicated snip tool that works with Fogbugz, if you want to bother - but I suspect it might get killed when you launch TC, so that might not work. The workkaround is old school- hit Print Screen, exit, and past it into something like "Paint". I know it's a pain ... some just use a phone to grab an image.

p.s., you can enter feature requests in Fogbugz, too. I don't think you can set it as such, but if you add "Feature Request" to the subject line, i'm sure it will find it's way to the correct Area.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    There's a dedicated snip tool that works with Fogbugz, if you want to bother - but I suspect it might get killed when you launch TC, so that might not work. The workkaround is old school- hit Print Screen, exit, and past it into something like "Paint". I know it's a pain ... some just use a phone to grab an image.

p.s., you can enter feature requests in Fogbugz, too. I don't think you can set it as such, but if you add "Feature Request" to the subject line, i'm sure it will find it's way to the correct Area.
    Thanks again, Steve. It is not like it is so buggy you would use it all the time.

The hack I have been using for most things, like opening a .txt file or similar while TC is running: (ie use at your own risk, I image there are things that would definitely compromise TC system stability)
    1. Goto DVR 1 or 2 and hit the "+" plus button
    2. Select "Browse" to open File Exploder
    3. In the filename field deactivate format filter by entering "*.*" asterisk dot asterisk
    4. Nav to C:/Windows or whatever folder you are hunting.
    5. Then use right-click context menu to open the out of filter file, like .txt for example.

I haven't tested this to run an executable, ie trying to start cmd, wordpad or solitaire for example.

LOL yeah, phone pics funny how far we've come. I use it all the time.

LOL yeah, phone pics funny how far we've come. I use it all the time.
    Pretty much every submission of mine to fogbugz has at minimum a photo or a video recording showing what ever I am talking about, often with narration by yours truly, They haven't begged me to stop so I figure it helping.

Not sure where you guys posts bugs too. EDIT: UGH I just saw the sticky!

Pretty frustrated ATM as I paid for this "upgrade" actually thinking it would fix things like win10 compliance, streaming preview browser issues, ect., instead I get a bunch of broken workflow issues.

[Bug] #1
    This is a regression bug, it use to work as expected prior to AE3.

When you guys moved the "File Capture" from "Record" over to "Stream/Encode" it seems dev forgot to hook the datalink back up to the filename field. The "%DL" Icon appreas as expected BUT entering any datalink flags result in an error in the new funny little output listener in the top left corner. (Side note: of which would be an order of magnitude more useful with more information ;-) ) Reporting something like "illegal characters in filename or some such. I would use Camtasia on all these issues for you if I could install a screen recorder without nag screens or fear of system instability, the thing is already touchy enough. This worked fine in the past.

For example we automate our output file naming convention. see below:

Code:
    %Year (full)%_%Month (long, numeric)%%Day (long, numeric)%_%Time%_%Session Name%
    This %DL code functions as expected in the Record->Output filename fields (and prior versions of Advanced Edition)

This aforementioned functionality is super important to us as we use the .mp4 @10k kbps as our masters. We don't need any more than that.
    This bug is much WORSE than originally expected and nearly screwed us

Not only does datalink not work, incremental file is also totally borked! Incremental did not write data to the file! Luckily we chose to record masters as we wouldn't have a backup as our secondary backup, our normal backup, a Leightronix Ultra HD had issues last night as well. PLEASE fix this ASAP!

See image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9809.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	145204  

Do you have the 6.6.2019 version installed?

The case on this was resolved a couple of days ago. There were several problems, including the incremental issue you mentioned in your most recent post. I have personally tested the current build for these issues, and they are all gone, so the next release should get you back to normal. Just to mention a workaround, you could record .movs and process these in the background using Export even as capture continues.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

@ mzafrany Tricaster 8000 - AE3 190429

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The case on this was resolved a couple of days ago. There were several problems, including the incremental issue you mentioned in your most recent post. I have personally tested the current build for these issues, and they are all gone, so the next release should get you back to normal. Just to mention a workaround, you could record .movs and process these in the background using Export even as capture continues.
    Hi Steve, just to touch base, support hooked me up. Everything seems to be working as expected. Thanks again.