Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New mac pro

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    I still have a 6-core nMP, and as a hobbyist, I won’t buy a new MacPro, for sure. I will certainly upgrade my CPU for a 10-core, and as for GPU, I’m tempted to add a radeon VII in a razer core X. Since Unreal (and TM) is Metal compliant, I think it will be a huge progress compared to my current D500s. In the long term, I’m afraid I’ll have to switch to PC or go the hackintosh route.
    Is this possible with TB2?
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Yes it is. You will have to disable the SIP and run a script called purgewrangler, as the TB2 deactivation for eGPU is only software. More here :
    https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/scr...macos-10-13-4/

And here, some test by barefeats. Radeon VII eGPU is three times faster than D700s, not to mention the much larger memory (my D500s are only 3gb) :
    https://barefeats.com/macs-and-radeon-vii.html

My feelings are quite mixed with what I'm seeing so far. I do a lot of animation work in both 2D and 3D as well as a good deal of editing. This is a beast of a machine for editing video and 2D animation but for 3D I'm no more impressed than I was with the 2013 mac pro (which, despite certainly missing out on nVidia only options in a few aps, was probably the most efficient and reliable computer I've ever used). What frustrates me is that typically video, audio, and 2D animation do not tax a machine like doing 3D work and compositing and yet they still are being very narrow in what they allow/offer with GPUs. If they really, really push support for Metal then I'd feel better. If they offered nVidia cards, I'd feel better (has any Apple person spoken as to why they only use AMD?) The list of supporting companies was nice to hear but, of course, that is a real wait-and-see situation.

An impressive machine on many fronts but that 3D/GPU anti-option is still just as funky as last generation, but with double the base price. Also, I laugh at the thought of selling a $6k computer with a 256gb hard drive.
    OS X 10.6
    LW 9.6
    MacPro 2.8 octo
    ...Akron OH, the next hollywood

As for GPUs, I've read somewhere that Apple devs had told that two pie lanes had 8-pins connectors, which basically means that you can put standard GPUs inside the new mac pro without using the new special module. As for nVIDIA, it will only be a driver problem, and this is not likely to change in the near future. Another question is the ability to change the storage without being blocked by the T2 chip. Unfortunately it was a news on my phone feed, and I can't find it back.

As for GPUs, I've read somewhere that Apple devs had told that two pie lanes had 8-pins connectors, which basically means that you can put standard GPUs inside the new mac pro without using the new special module. As for nVIDIA, it will only be a driver problem, and this is not likely to change in the near future. Another question is the ability to change the storage without being blocked by the T2 chip. Unfortunately it was a news on my phone feed, and I can't find it back.

Anybody Know how much is the Bare Case on Wheels I like that bit?

Anybody Know how much is the Bare Case on Wheels I like that bit?

I have been very anti-mac for years. I have disliked what I perceived as a dismissal (disrespect) of professional users in favor of casual users.

I have certain reservations about the new Mac Pro, but I very much applaud the gesture by Apple to meet the needs of professional users.

Aesthetics can be subjective, and I am not a particular fan of the exterior of the unit, however when I saw the interior design I was quite happy. I felt like they were serious about wanting pro's to use this box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    ...Aesthetics can be subjective...
    Objectively, the cheese grater design seems like it would be very awkward to clean free of dust. Hopefully you can take just that panel outside and spray it with a water hose. There are too many crevices to easily vacuum.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12