Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 modeler minimizing madness

Windows 10 modeler minimizing madness

I just purchased my first PC in over decade for Lightwave and other graphically taxing work, ending a 10+ year stretch as a Mac only guy. My trusty 2013 MacBook Pro's battery had started swelling so I took it in to have the battery replaced and while it was in the shop I took the opportunity to buy a fancy new 2019 8-core i9 MacBook Pro. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) it turned out to be a lemon with a broken fan so I took that as an omen so after I returned it I pickup up a prebuilt i7-9700k rig with an rtx2080 for 2/3 the price instead. I had been on the PC fence for a while, but my experience with the new Mac cinched it. There are just too many tradeoffs to justify investing in a new Mac for 3d work at the moment, and my old Macbook Pro with a fresh battery (and a completely new keyboard, top chassis, and trackpad thanks to the battery being glued in) will continue to serve me well as a portable workhorse for a while longer ( 2012-15 15" MacBook pros are easily the best laptops ever, so obviously apple had to go and screw it all up in the current generation).

Overall, as expected, the Lightwave experience is much better in windows and on a proper desktop machine, even if there is that big dumb windows key between my Ctrl and alt keys and my mac muscle memory keeps making me accidentally open the start menu. There are a few niggling issues though, and one which I hope perhaps someone here can help me with.

I keep minimizing Modeler when I try to swap layers. The minimize button in windows 10 is HUGE, the clickable area reaches all the way to the bottom of the Header bar. I use a Wacom tablet and I keep accidentally hitting it instead of the layer selector Is there a way to disable the window header in Windows 10? or move the layer selector in Modeler or something? does anyone else have this problem?

You can change the size of the ‘Active Title Bar’ window from the Appearance and Personalisation, Window colour, Advanced appearance settings… Select Item: Active Title Bar and reduce the font size. The Max / Min / Close icons will reduce in size too.

This is from a Windows 7 point of view and may be in a different location on a Windows 10 machine.

Cheers

While sellis is correct to note native controls in Windows, you might also look to some of the free and paid accessory programs that can style Windows like Mac (or like Amiga).

Using only the native interface controls in Windows, you can apply other themes with much smaller window decor, such as what you might see in Windows 98.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Thanks fro the tips, I already found a useful replacement for quicklook in Mac's finder, I felt completely handicapped without that. I will see If i can't find a theme with smaller title bar buttons. (or dare I hope for button on the left side of the window where they belong?)

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    (or dare I hope for button on the left side of the window where they belong?)
    Subjective

Use the layers panel or use the shortcutkeys. Use the number keys 1-0 for layers, hold shift for selecting multiple layers, AltGr for bg layers and pgup & pgdn for change layers rows.

Window Blinds from Stardock, maybe? I consider it every so often out of frustration with dark mode in Windows. On the bright side, I think you can get used to any keyboard. Getting used to an OS takes longer.

Plug a Mac keyboard into the new Windows box to solve keyboard confusion.

I don't understand how getting used to a new OS is challenging. They're really all just the same. As an Android user, I didn't have any trouble picking a discarded iPhone out of a truck stop toilet and immediately enjoying all the iTunes content the user left behind.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

It Isn’t challenging, it’s just a few of kinks and irritations that need to be sorted before I can work without frustration. I would have had more or less the same problem if I had jumped straight from windows xp to windows 10 without the Mac decade in between. As far as general usage goes it has been a breeze, but as when it comes to my specific workflow, I am still working out the kinks. Things like the language select shortcut interfering with my lightwave shortcuts, and Microsoft ink getting in the way before I finally figured out what it was and how to disable it. All of these issues have been relatively simple to fix, except for the layer thing. For which the best solution seems to be to click carefully.

You can disable WinKey between Ctrl and Alt with editing win registry. It works on my win7, but don't know for win10. I can post .reg (you just run it and will add necessary keys to registry) file for win7 here if it is any use for you. Regarding selecting layers, use shortcuts 1-0, shift for multi select and alt for background layer.

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    Regarding selecting layers, use shortcuts 1-0, shift for multi select and alt for background layer.
    Putting down pen and/or tablet, moving hands to keyboard, pressing a key or three (potentially with modifiers), then re-grabbing pen, re-situating back on tablet, etc. just to change/control layers is a fairly significant disruption to workflow. Keyboard shortcuts aren't always the most efficient approach.
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-08-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

If it's any consolation, it's taken me several months just to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in terms of comfort zone. Sort of like easing into a really hot tub of water, but finally getting to the ah, ok stage. Ya, that pesky muscle memory sneeks between apps too.

I do find it odd that no one's mentioned the simple Atl-Tab or even Alt- (the Windows key) between Ctrl & ALT in Win to jump to other actively running apps if that's what you're trying to do.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Putting down pen and/or tablet, moving hands to keyboard, pressing a key or three (potentially with modifiers), then re-grabbing pen, re-situating back on tablet, etc. just to change/control layers is a fairly significant disruption to workflow. Keyboard shortcuts aren't always the most efficient approach.
    Well I am using pen with my right hand and most of my custom shortcuts are on the left bottom side of the keyboard. I don't remember a situation where I would be forced to put down the pen because of pressing shortcuts. I hold the pen with three fingers so I have another two left for the keyboard. In the worst case I can press a keyboard key with a pen while pressing modifiers with my left hand. And for me it is a LOT EASIER to press alt+7 than to hit half of a small rectangle on the opposite side of the workspace (I do the most of modeling in the left perspective viewport).

The win-key placement I’m getting used to but I am getting a programmable keyboard and I may try swapping the alt and win keys. Luckily both OSs have pretty much the same basic shortcuts for multitasking: alt-tab is universal. The only issue that is lightwave specific is the problem where I accidentally overshoot the layers buttons in modeler and hit the window minimize button in the title bar instead. I am trying to train myself to use the numkeys instead even if I really like modeler’s layers thingy, but it strikes me as unlikely that nobody else has had this issue now that windows has title bar buttons that span the entire height of the title bar. I don’t know when Microsoft made that change (windows 7?). Exacerbating the issue might be that I use a previous gen Wacom tablet and they can have poor precision around the screen edges which means clicks can be a couple pixels off target. What I really want is to hide the windows title bar entirely. It is a lot of wasted space for window functions that I simply will not be using while in modeler. It seems like hiding the title bar should be an option in windows or modeler but I can’t find it.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 06-09-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Maybe your Wacom driver HELPS you hitting the min button Did you try any other non Wacom tablet? I don’t believe you can entirely get rid of the title bar. When you define this things in a development software like Visual Basic, you must define how particular window will look like, so there is no system-wide option to change that. But I don’t know much about win10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast