Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 modeler minimizing madness

If Wacom tablet drivers are making me close windows (unlikely) that’s on Microsoft. Wacom is the ONLY professional tablet manufacturer and Microsoft had better make sure they work properly with windows. I don’t think that is the issue though, No I am pretty sure it’s just windows failing to get out of the way and let me work. From a UX perspective the titlebar in windows is a disaster. It is about triple the size of the one on the Mac, and always on, even when the window fills the screen, and it only features window management tools and a button to close the app. I suppose maybe the size is a trade off designed to work with tablets and touch, but it isn’t good on a desktop. In an app like lightwave you typically use buttons in the title bar in the main window once per session: When you are closing the app. to dedicate so much screen real estate to this stuff is poor design. I know that lightwave on Mac has an option to show or hide the Mac menu (not the same as the title bar, but similar) so I was hoping lightwave on windows might also have a similar option.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 06-09-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Dan Ritchie already suggested using Window Blinds from Stardock -- I've got an ObjectDesktop license, and between Window Blinds and Skin Studio (both in Object Desktop), though, there's definitely a fix possible either using another author's skin or making one of your own. There are a few other, similar options for loading new "skins" into Windows, including built-in ones, also mentioned above.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I found a way to use auto hot key to remove the title bar. It seems to work ok, so problem solved!

Thanks for the tips everyone. It’s been a while since I used windows seriously and I need to get back into the mindset.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 06-09-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    I found a way to use auto hot key to remove the title bar.
    Would love for you to walk us through this little tidbit. I've always despised Win10 window features.
    Screenshot too if possible.

Thanks,
    Steve

WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A

This is the command that will remove the title bar in the active window in autohotkey. It was the example provided in the documentation.
    I just downloaded autohotkey, made a script according to the included instructions and viola!
    My script is just:

#!f::
    WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A
    return
    So when I push Win-Alt-f the title bar goes away.

You can’t get it back without restarting lightwave, so be aware of that. Shift-Q becomes the only way to close layout or modeler because alt-f4 doesn’t seem to work for reasons I don’t understand.

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    Thanks HSD,

Looking forward to trying this out on LW and other stuff as well.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    alt-f4 doesn’t seem to work for reasons I don’t understand.
    It is deffinitelly odd. The good news is that you can configure quit to be alt-F4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12