Thread: New TriCaster shipping with Windows 10?

Andrew Carlson

New TriCaster shipping with Windows 10?

Are the new tricaster shipping with Windows 10? If so, will updates to prevously owned Tricaster be allow to upgrade/update? I've purchased AE3.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    New TC-1 and VMC use Windows 10. I assume the new 410 plus does as well
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Andrew Carlson
    Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    New TC-1 and VMC use Windows 10. I assume the new 410 plus does as well
    Actually I know they are shipping with Windows 10 b/c I got a sales promo from my dealer that said they were. Will we be able to upgrade our existing machines to Windows 10?

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Not as I far as I know
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

So I just updated our TC8000 to Advanced Edition 3, thinking that just maybe it would update the OS too, didn't happen.

Are there any plans for this?

IT is moving our entire company off of win7 by years end, I would like to let them know we are compliant.

All NEW TriCasters are shipping with Windows 10, including Mini models now.

"So I just updated our TC8000 to Advanced Edition 3, thinking that just maybe it would update the OS too"

Well, I'd imagine that Microsoft likes to get PAID for their Windows 10 software, so Newtek is not going to be able to share an entire OS upgrade in a FREE software update ;-)

And in any case, I think hypothetically it would be very complicated for Newtek to offer an OS upgrade, short of sending out a (paid) new hard drive with the OS and software already on it due to complexities of the hidden Linux RESTORE IMAGE partition, Windows licensing, and such. I would not hold my breathe for OS upgrades on older hardware...just my opinion, not based on anything other than my own thoughts.

"Are there any plans for this"

Newtek is always pretty tight-lipped about future plans, so even if something was in the works, they won't say anything.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Andrew Carlson
    Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post

And in any case, I think hypothetically it would be very complicated for Newtek to offer an OS upgrade, short of sending out a (paid) new hard drive with the OS and software already on it due to complexities of the hidden Linux RESTORE IMAGE partition, Windows licensing, and such. I would not hold my breathe for OS upgrades on older hardware...just my opinion, not based on anything other than my own thoughts.

Jeff
    Wouldn't it also be a little complicated to write software (updates) that are compatible with old OS.

Quote Originally Posted by nsdV View Post
    Wouldn't it also be a little complicated to write software (updates) that are compatible with old OS.
    If the TriCaster is running current software, say AE2 or AE3, and the software works on Windows 7 and Windows 10 TriCasters like it does now... I'd expect that the TriCaster software itself is compatible with both 7 & 10 anyway. It is probably more of an issue with how to deploy that kind of change on machines in the field. There are probably some subtle incremental hardware changes along the way with the GPU and maybe the NewTek hardware for video I/O, but drivers for that are probably still around.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

All NEW TriCasters are shipping with Windows 10, including Mini models now.

"So I just updated our TC8000 to Advanced Edition 3, thinking that just maybe it would update the OS too"

Well, I'd imagine that Microsoft likes to get PAID for their Windows 10 software, so Newtek is not going to be able to share an entire OS upgrade in a FREE software update ;-)
    Hi Jeff while I appreciate the reply and I did mistype, upgrade not update, one cannot get a free "update" to "AE3", it should have been obvious. So yes, I paid for an upgrade to the tune of $995. I'm not a complete ID10T (or maybe I am for thinking this).

Side note why is there no mention of any of this on the product purchase page? Not a thing
    https://store.newtek.com/index.php/t...00-update.html

We aren't talking about proprietary base system hardware here. It is an x86 based system, with ancillary component IO. Win drivers will 98% of the time work straight across from 7 to 10.

Licensing, (apart from mostly being free as MS is moving the OS to a software as a service product) win10 upgrades in bulk would cost nothing. All costs be passed on to the user in the form of upgrade. Again, hard drives are cheap, also passed to the user.

"Are there any plans for this"

Newtek is always pretty tight-lipped about future plans, so even if something was in the works, they won't say anything.

Thanks

Jeff
    Long time NDA'd beta tester here (for numerous other major creative software developers), I know what I am asking. This is a core OS EOL issue it has nothing to do with Live-Production features or the front-end UX itself, those tight-lipped of course, this not. This is completely back-end for the security and integrity of the networked environments these machines are connected too. Remaining "tight lipped" about such things is shooting oneself in the foot when they should be proactively engaging with the user base.

EDIT: For anyone else reading this, I just came across this information from another thread, not sure why this wasn't emailed to all registered owners (I checked exchange back two years, nothing)
    https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...End-of-Support

I think it is a hard sell to convince finance to drop another $19,000 to replace a 3.5 year old system we paid $35,000 for just to get a backend OS update? That seems preposterous.

Johnny Random,

My apologies, I did overlook the fact that you purchased the AE3 upgrade.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1