Thread: Tricaster Win7 Embedded EOL discussion with Microsoft

Tricaster Win7 Embedded EOL discussion with Microsoft

I've seen posts from Zane that state that MS will continue support to 2023, but that's not what MS is saying. They DID say that there are "extended service updates" that can be purchased in 12 month increments, and those will only be available for 3 years after the official sunset date. However, those ESU's are only available from the OEM. To me, this seems like those running Win7 embedded systems will have to get these ESU's from NewTek since they will not be available to the public.

If this is how its going to go, will there be additional costs associated or will these be free?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    I've seen posts from Zane that state that MS will continue support to 2023, but that's not what MS is saying. They DID say that there are "extended service updates" that can be purchased in 12 month increments, and those will only be available for 3 years after the official sunset date. However, those ESU's are only available from the OEM. To me, this seems like those running Win7 embedded systems will have to get these ESU's from NewTek since they will not be available to the public.

If this is how its going to go, will there be additional costs associated or will these be free?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
    I don't know what Newtek will do, but I'm afraid a lot of us with good machines running under Windows 7 will just be out of luck. That will especially be true for those that need to put them on a network and the IT Admins won't let them. It would be really great if there was the capability to upgrade the machine to Windows 10, even at some cost.

Marty Davis
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Quote Originally Posted by Marty01 View Post
    I'm afraid a lot of us with good machines running under Windows 7 will just be out of luck. That will especially be true for those that need to put them on a network and the IT Admins won't let them. It would be really great if there was the capability to upgrade the machine to Windows 10, even at some cost.

Marty Davis
    As of this morning, barring any response from NewTek, my employer has stated in no uncertain terms that this machine will be iced-out of the network once Microsoft support ends. In other words, I'll have a really expensive, and really cool toy that lights up and plays videos but is otherwise useless. Maybe my kids will enjoy playing with it.

I see a lot of folks saying similar things, but is there any practical reason one cannot use an external HDMI or SDI encoder for web streaming? They are getting less expensive, such as the Magewell UltraStream HDMI at under $400.

Of course, NDI throws a curve ball into the mix now since many users want to send/receive NDI over the network, but assuming NDI is not being used, then is there a great need for TC to be on the network other than streaming, addressed in my first sentence? Educate me if I am missing something please.

And if one does need NDI, if NDI sources are local (like PTZ1 camera in same room), that can be direct-cabled without needing to be on any "network" outside of cabling to TriCaster itself.

So again, not trying to be a wise-guy, but I'd just like to hear the reasons that a TriCaster is suddenly an unusable door stop without networking.

I certainly cannot argue that if NDI plays a big role in your productions, then lack of network is a HUGE issue, but I'd just like to better understand the specific issues you are facing. NDI is relatively new in the scheme of things and TriCaster otherwise will do all of the cool things it has always done, without an internet connection.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I can certainly understand people would like some reassurance here. I inquired, and was directed to this: https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...End-of-Support

To answer someone else's question, definitely not as a recommendation: I have heard of people updating older systems with Win 10 and AE3 (designed to run on Win 10). Obviously this would a) cost something not insignificant, b) involve some inherent risks (especially on older systems), c) require some advanced skills, and d) would void your warranty (if you had one). You might wind up needing to update a graphics card, too, one imagines. And at the end of the day, if it failed you'd wind up rolling back to Win7, while being out of pocket some noticeable $$, always presuming you didn't electrocute yourself.

Far better, imho, if the powers that be say "Your system can't go on our LAN anymore!" - and that actually matters to your pipeline - to start budgeting to make a leap forward to next gen systems. This actually seems like a fairly compelling argument to make to the bean counters, and there are some pretty generous trade-up programs available, I am told.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    I certainly cannot argue that if NDI plays a big role in your productions, then lack of network is a HUGE issue, but ...
    ...but NDI works just fine on a sandboxed LAN, too - actually arguably better.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks Steve. The ESU's will not be available to the public, only to OEM's. Per my original post - will these be provided by NewTek and will they be free or will there be costs involved?

Edit: We are pretty much exclusively an NDI house, and when I take my gear on the road for clients, I keep it NDI to make hook-ups easy. I can always go back to SDI and use our Teradek to push via a network connection, so Jeff, you are correct that this isn't an automatic "mothball your gear" situation. However, there ARE clients I will no longer be able to serve due to the need for NDI in these locations and set-ups and/or their security standards.

Steve, you do bring up a great point about getting our IT department on-board to upgrade to a TC1. That wouldn't be a bad thing, in my book!
    Last edited by dhodlick; 06-05-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Thanks Steve. The ESU's will not be available to the public, only to OEM's. Per my original post - will these be provided by NewTek and will they be free or will there be costs involved?
    Yes, we are the OEM in this scenario; and we do not customarily charge for maintenance updates. I expect that would be how this would be handled, too.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator