Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to remove texture map

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Yeah... your image needn't be black or white pixels only. If you have shades of grey in there, then anything over 50% is treated as white, and under as black.

Otherwise, you can just use a map to clip exactly the same as you would for transparency.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    I do find this useful. This is the first I've heard of 1bit image sequences. You would think a clip map would treat the alpha in the image the same as the 1 bit sequence (i.e. isn't the difference between 24 bit and 32 bit the inclusion of the alpha info? Come to think of it that may be wrong as I could have sworn my 24 bit PNG's had alpha's (they just never fully keyed - the hinted at problem with PNG's above?)

I'll give the 1 bit separate alpha stream a try. The nice thing about images with alpha's embedded is the interoperability of those sequences elsewhere (like Resolve).
    You are correct that the differences between 24bit and 32bit are that 32bit's include alpha channel data.

I would say however that on reading what you are trying to accomplish by mapping the lens flare onto a plane (presumably to overlay it over a background image of some sort) that your methodology is probably not the best way to go.

It sounds like what you're trying to do is composition work and LightWave isn't really a compositor.

It CAN do SOME compositing but it's not really ideally suited for that job. I'd use either an effects package or your video editor's composting tools to achieve the desired effect.

If you REALLY HAD to do it in LightWave, then the way I'd do it is to use the Compositing tab of the Effects panel (Ctrl+F7).

You will need....

1) Your background plate (a 24bit image sequence, video or still of what will be under the lens flare).
    2) Your 24bit lens flare image sequence
    3) Your 8bit alpha channel sequence of the lens flare
    4) Load them into LightWave using the Image Editor and make sure they are set to "Sequence" in the settings
    5) Open up the Compositing tab (Ctrl+F7)
    6) Change the "Background Image" setting to your Background plate sequence, video or still.
    7) Change the "Foreground Image" setting to your 24bit lens flare sequence
    8) Change the "Foreground Alpha" setting to your 8bit alpha lens flare sequence

The sequences in the Compositing Tab will not be affected by the LW camera, so no matter where you put or rotate the camera the image sequences displayed will be not be affected.

To see the effects of the Compositing Tab set up in Layout without having to re render everything you might have to change the Camera view Background setting in the display options (d key).

Under the Camera View tab in the display options panel, you should see the "Camera view Background" setting, change this to "Background Image" and you should see the Camera viewport in Layout updated to reflect your Compositing Tab settings.

Provided all the resolutions of your sequences are the same, you should have no problems.

Once you're happy with this setup you can render it out to a file.
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 05-28-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    I would highly recommend against using 1-bit images. While a clip map is indeed either on and off, and 8-bit image will actually give you smoother edges (especially as you zoom in) once AA is computed.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Yes, ofcourse your right about that. I forgot about the AA factor. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Yeah... your image needn't be black or white pixels only. If you have shades of grey in there, then anything over 50% is treated as white, and under as black.

Otherwise, you can just use a map to clip exactly the same as you would for transparency.
    Again, true.

It doesn't need to be shades of grey either since it's really the pixel luminance values that are considered by LW.
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 05-28-2019 at 10:19 AM.

You would think the texture map would treat an image sequence with an embeded alpha and execute the key accordingly but inverting a transparency layer is needed.

I seem to have it working pretty good.

Shabazzy, in this case I am doing a pretty basic composite and yes other programs are much better suited to doing a straight composite. I have, in the past, tracked footage in AE, exported the camera track to LW and then composited with the final image in the BKG.

In this case I liked the look of the camera flare I set up (basically a glowing orb) but you can't take the glowing orb and move it about in 3D space due to the nature of camera flares, so, I create the look, map that onto a plane, and then fly that plane about in 3D space always keeping it facing the camera. I've got this crazy project where I need to fly an eyeball in space seeing all kinds of weird things. One trick I want to try is to take effect footage (such as an action essential explosion) map it on to a sphere so I can fly about it in 3D.

but, but, I still haven't found 'how to remove a texture map' in the manual

plus a few other items...like the fiber effects thingy....

THANKS for all your help and suggestions, I really do appreciate it and I learned, I learned baby!

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    but, but, I still haven't found 'how to remove a texture map' in the manual
    I did, it's in the glossary. I've also reported the issue.

Cheers,
    Mike

it's always in the last place you look. Is Mr. Bowie still authoring the beast?

TrueArt Support
    Refraction of 1 works but not 0. The clip map option seems only to cut a hole in the object where the alpha is as opposed to leaving the texture map on and the rest of the object disappearing. inverting the layer doesn't actually invert anything but the rather fills the hole with the texture map.
    To invert alpha you need to use nodal setup 1-scalar..

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Batch process them into JPG's (or anything other than PNG) and see if that corrects your issue.
    JPEG does not have any alpha channel..

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    I would highly recommend against using 1-bit images. While a clip map is indeed either on and off, and 8-bit image will actually give you smoother edges (especially as you zoom in) once AA is computed.
    Clipping is computed at very very early stage of surface evaluation. At least should be computed at early stage of evaluation by renderer. So, if surface is absolutely transparent (with IOR 1.0), it could be and should be clipped, as it'll simply save rendering time. Depending on complexity of surfacing, it might save a lot of time during rendering complete final image sequence.
    When I made by own LW-compatible renderer, clipping was one of the first things done after ray-tracing (ray-casting actually) from ray-origin in specifed ray-direction after hitting mesh. It saves entire bother with surface evaluation.

Example is rendering of tree with multi thousands of leafs with clip map versus the same setup with transparency.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-28-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    JPEG does not have any alpha channel..
    Any black and white image can be used as a clip map - JPG or otherwise..
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

regarding "reading the manual"....

I figured I would, starting in Modeler. I get to Modeler Edit menu and they start talking about Syncmesh tools. Ok, I'll try them out but...

I can't find a way to activate them, the manual says nothing that I can discern

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...syncmesh-tools

I figured I would, starting in Modeler. I get to Modeler Edit menu and they start talking about Syncmesh tools. Ok, I'll try them out but...

IMO, the best way to learn is hit every button and see what it does first and after about a couple hours of that start a project - real or fictitious.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Blog Entries

As far as I know the SyncMesh framework is present by default only with specific tools.

I see it's implementation present in "Modify > Translate > Axis Translate" for example, but you won't see it within the "Move" tool, as another example, because that tool hasn't been updated to take advantage of it (yet?).

I started another thread asking this question specifically. Basically, at the bottom on the page it lists the path's to each individual tool. Since I was in the manual reading about the Edit functions I thought there would be an option to open a thing called Symcmesh tools. Instead each tool is in it's own particular location (i.e. modify) and never makes a reference to "syncmesh".

Blog Entries
    I think SyncMesh is one of those frameworks that you only really notice if you've used LW for a long time prior to version 11.5.

I remember when they implemented it and how it blew my mind when I saw how much better it's tools were to use over the "old" toolsets.

I think if you never really gone through the "bad old days" then SyncMesh isn't something you'd really notice or appreciate as much as us LW oldie timers. I think the manual only references it just to give long time users a heads up on it being a new (as it was back then) feature as opposed to something you really should know how to use.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast