Thread: Tricaster TC1 reliability

Tricaster TC1 reliability

Hello everyone,

We are about to buy a Tricatser Tc1 for our concert hall. After evaluating the different options, essentially an ATEM switcher from Balckmagic, we find that the TCI offers many advantages.

However, when we made quote requests, a supplier told us that he did not want to bid because all the TC1 units they sold were returned to them at least once. In short, they strongly advises not to go with a Tricaster ...

This makes us reconsider our choice and I would like to know your experiences with Tricatsters. Our set-up is relatively simple, we have a few PTZ cameras that we planned to control with NDI, and we also need to be able to feed 2 projectors. We also want to begin to stream live event eventually. All our audio network is build around DANTE.

Thank you!

Others will chime in with their views; let me just offer the thought that we would not be in business long if we had a 100% failure rate; so this suggests some other factor in play.

It's possible that the reseller really did have a series of negative experiences (which I'd very much like to hear about if so). On the other hand, problems may flow from a lack of product knowledge. Sometimes, too (and this has to be considered), a reseller really just wants to sell another product for reasons other than those stated.

No developer is able to avoid every last problem, and there will always be some unfortunate failures despite sincere best efforts - but it will be interesting to read the replies to your question.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Look through the forums for the problems that people post. I personally have had a number of issues that are around software not hardware for my TC1. As such I open tickets with fogbugz and they get reviewed and usually fixed if they are documented well and can be reproduced.

I wish I didn't have to do this but the fact that they respond and work on the issues is worth a lot. I have dealt with other vendors who tell me to pound sand basically.

The biggest reason I went with a tricaster vs other solution was around iso recording, replay, streaming and having an easy method to do these things as a one man band and then do imag which requires genlock to get to acceptable latency. I couldn't find methods to do this with vmix or wirecast at the time.

Also worth noting that others I talked to here on the forums and else where never ran into some of the issues I did and vice versa. Each setup is a little different and results may vary.

I'm a big fan of try (rent) before you buy if you can for peace of mind.
    Last edited by Chuck; 05-28-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Enter correction for stp_productions

We have two TC1s for about nine months now. No hardware issues whatsoever so far.
    And i hope they will be working reliably just like our 460, bought in november 2013...still fine (even though a pice of rubber once fell of the fan holder and got stuck in CPU fan stopping it...but it survived that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    The biggest reason I went with a tricaster vs other solution was around iso recording, replay, streaming and having an easy method to do these things as a one man band and then do imag which requires genlock to get to acceptable latency. I couldn't find methods to do this with vmix or tricaster at the time.
    Meant to say vmix or wirecast

Our experience with our (several) Tricaster units is mixed. We don't put them onto critical gigs any more (eg; no on-air usage), but for sports pres or streaming it's usually fine. They don't fail all that often, but because of the nature of the business when they do fail it tends to stick in your mind.

There are a lot of factors to consider. I overall would recommend a TC1 but would be not recommend a Mini for mission critical things. Make sure your hardware and software requirements match you needs. For example, if NDI is really something you are going to use, then its going to be hard to use any BMD stuff. ATEM also makes you match your camera frame rates and resolutions so another thing to consider. I have learned over the years not to run my Tricaster machines to the max.

I think of a Tricaster as a swiss army knife that has plenty of tools and can be very useful, but at the end of the day it is not always the best tool for the job. That being said if you budget allows for only one knife, you might chose this one.

BTW I do TD on several different units including Ross, Grass, and BMD. I love the flexibility the Tricaster has and NDI makes productions a lot more streamlined. I personally think the TC1 is the best machine that Newtek has produced but that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Meant to say vmix or wirecast
    Fixed it for you!
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.