Thread: Node UV Mapping puzzler

Node UV Mapping puzzler

I'm cleaning up & simplifying some geometry & re UV mapping while I'm at it. Got a nice clean UV via Rizom, but before I realized I'd gotten my front & back islands mixed up, I was just seeing what I could do with UV tiling as a qwik fix. When I enter values for tiling in the Color node directly, it's working as expected. If instead I set up some Scaler nodes for those values, I get no change.

I missing something here or, ...

Single Tile:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UVPuzzle.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	437.5 KB 
ID:	145050

Three Tiles in Node panel:

Name:	UVPuzzle2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	145051

Using Scaler inputs:

Name:	UVPuzzle3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	379.6 KB 
ID:	145052

Thanx.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

For whatever reason many inputs don't show up in OpenGL. Send it to Layout and enable VPR and you'll see it's working fine.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 05-23-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Thanks Tim. I see if that resolves it.

Yeah I think that is what you are encountering. I use the DB&W Colour Corrector a lot and that always interferes with the OpenGL display so it doesn't surprise me that there would a multitude of other inputs that would do the same.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

That t'were it Tim.

I usually do my surfacing in Layout but as this mirror needed to be broken out from the original model anyway, I figured, what the heck. New system & video cards & I'm getting great looking texture right here in Modeler, ... What could go wrong, right?

It's always something.

Don't know if you saw any of my other recent posts & how much a Rabbit Hole this silly mirror turned into or not, but wow.

Here's a render of the original Daz product:

Name:	FugaziCasa_HallCam2_1H_16M.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	516.8 KB 
ID:	145065

Some nice things going, but just a tad over-lit for my tastes anyway, but the mirror frame is ... odd?

So here's my rework in Lightwave:

Name:	Fixed Hallway_14m11s.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	509.6 KB 
ID:	145066

I still need to tend to the brick wall as it'll have to get broken out separately I think to get the displacement working correctly.

I went back a few days ago & rewatched a few specific vids from RH's recent series. Figured out what I had that was bassakwards and now have very comfortable render times.

Nodes are only evaluated 1 spot deep, for openGl, I believe it's stated in the manual, or really should be! So if you plug in a texture, it will read that, but it will not read anything deeper. To do otherwise, they would need to rebuild Nodes, for it to work properly: Nodes was not designed with OpenGL in mind, and if you recall zero nodes worked with LW9-2015. It's the reason the projection nodes don't work for image sampler either, which is a shame, because it's such a cool and underutilised system. TBH most layers/layering and procedurals never worked properly in previous versions, it's just tricky to do all those image transforms within openGL. The main focus always was it working right with the renderer, and to build a material system which works both display tech AND rendering is tricky. Games engines, of course can do a lot of this stuff, but then they ONLY work within the engine, and not with a render engine as well. Eevee is of course very impressive, and has taken years to perfect, with a huge team!