Thread: NDI VLC Plugin issue

NDI VLC Plugin issue

Hey,

I'm new here but have been using various NDI software and hardware recently and exploring the possibilities. I want to set up a PC with multiple DVD drives and each time a DVD is inserted it opens in VLC and outputs it as NDI to various screens. I think I can make everything else work, but upon testing the VLC output into Studio Monitor, when showing a DVD menu you can't see where the menu selection cursor is, the thing that shows you what menu item is selected on screen, so there's no way this project will work if I can't navigate DVD menus. When researching VLC forums, the only thing I can find is that the menu cursor apparently doesn't show when using other video output modules other than the default/main one(s), so am unsure whether it's a VLC 'problem' or could be somehow fixed by modifying the VLC NDI plugin?

Thanks

The DVD highlight isn't part of the video stream but an 2-bit overlay that is composited on top of the video stream. I'm guessing that VLC player is making the video output available to the NDI plug-in (or what you set as your default output), but the overlay is being handled outside of the video stream. I'm thinking it more a VLC player side thing.

As another option you could use NDI Scan Converter to see the entire computer desktop.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll have to do a bit more brainstorming. The issue with the scan converter is having multiple DVD's open at once, I could have seperate displays but I think scan converter will only grab one lot of audio, not each player's audio. I think vMix display capture can capture separate windows but I'm unsure if the audio will be grabbed from each player or just system audio (I'm not around a PC heaps to test but will get to it). I guess I could run each DVD in a seperate Windows VM and send the screen of each via NDI... but there's probably simpler ways if I get that far.

Thanks