Thread: TC1 - loose display card?

TC1 - loose display card?

Was doing a live event with TC1 over the weekend and during pre-show setup, all 3 graphics outputs (UI and MultiViewers) went dead at same time! Rebooted a couple of times to screens of a solid color and finally got UI back but then lost it again! The TC1 is out of warranty, so removed the top lid and found that the connection between the GPU card edge and the PCI-e side-riser adapter that it connects to was not fully seated. Pressed them together firmly and reassembled and that seems to have resolved the issue.

The TC1 did have an extended road trip in the back of a cargo van last week, so the vibrations/bumps may have been enough to wiggle that connection loose. So just a heads-up, if you lose your graphics output either totally or intermittently, check connections in there! 12 Phillips head screws on the lid and they are TINY so use caution not to drop them.

I did order a spare PNY GTX 1050ti 4GB card, but looks like I may not need it now.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

** FIXED **

From front of TC1, look into vent holes at rear of top cover and the circuit board you see is the GTX 1050ti display card, lying on its side. At the right edge of it is a "riser card" that attaches the 1050 to the motherboard PCI-e slot. There is very little clearance between the top plastic edge of the riser and the metal cover of TC1. Gently push down on the cover ahead of the slots (not on them) and it doesn't take much pressure to actually make the cover contact the riser card!!

So what happened is that due to space constraints, I would often place an LCD computer monitor on top of the TC1. Always gently, and never back where it would cover the vent holes at all. Note that I'd been doing that for many years with 455 and 460 as well without issue. Apparently, the downward deflection of the metal cover would sometimes cause contact to that graphics card riser and over time, loosened the connection between the riser and display card.

The simple fix of removing the cover and pressing the two cards firmly together again takes just a few minutes.

Moral of the story: never set anything at all heavy on top of your TC1!! Lesson learned.

Thanks

Jeff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC1-contact.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	145037
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys