Thread: Layout not liking my DOF render

Layout not liking my DOF render

I'm not sure how to report this as there is no error or really even a crash as such; I've a shot that I'd like to render using DOF but Layout simply goes away.

"Crash" happens ~ 45mins into Preprocess which has gotten ~ 30+%; hasn't even gotten into Green pass yet. I can make a "successful" render w/o DOF at at higher settings, but lowered AA & Interpolated settings to sneek up on it for DOF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frm150_256Interp3+11AASettings_93m52s.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	145004

Upped a couple things one notch & tried a DOF render (Camera a bit over 1.5 M focal dist & F/2.2). It gets about 45 min into PreProc & Layout just unceremoniously goes away. No error, etc. so not sure how to diagnose.

Doubted if it was video driver related as I don't think Layout is even using GPU at that point (a lot of system drive activity though), but there was an nVidia update last week so installed & restarted system. Get the same problem pretty much at the same time mark.

Any suggestions?

APEXX T3
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz) 32 Core
    System_Memory 64GB DDR4-2666 (4 - 16GB DIMMS)
    M2_Storage_1 1.0TB SSD M.2 PCIe Drive
    Hard drives 4.0TB 7,200rpm SATA 6Gb/s
    Expansion card slots 2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
    Software_OS Microsoft Windohttps://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Postws 10 Professional Workstation Edition

9PM
    Just tried slightly higher settings w/o DOF and having same problem.
    Last edited by Ma3rk; 05-16-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

No I hadn't seen that. I'll check out a few of the links a bit later. I've had the multi thread set to only use 60 of the 64 cores. In any case, doesn't some like anything I can readily resolve.

I can now take that back.

Started examining things in the scene & found a setting or two there were maybe a bit too high, but the major no-no was that EVERY light had shadows set to RT. New lights have that as the default.

After some tests, I set the majority to Cast Shadows, but NOT using RT except for the Key lights. I was able to then kick the lights samples and a few render settings up & still coming in at half the time as before with much cleaner corner shading. Suspect that is mostly a lights sample setting. Changing the F/stop oddly didn't change render time.