Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adobe Tells Users They Can Get Sued for Using Old Versions of Photoshop

So I'm confused. Adobe didn't license software correctly so how is that an Adobe user's fault?
    I'm protected from wrongdoing on my end if I properly licensed software from Adobe.
    If Adobe did something wrong on their end, that's their responsibility.

This is why in the case of a suit damage claims would be calculated by the plaintiff for the number of licensed software(s), against the defendant, not each and every user. This just seems like a "good faith" effort on the part of Adobe to mitigate damage costs in court. None of use are in any way responsible for this, unless maybe you own Adobe stock.
    Last edited by BigHache; 05-18-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    So I'm confused. Adobe didn't license software correctly so how is that an Adobe user's fault?
    Not sure it is an issue with Adobe not licensing Dolby software correctly. I believe what I heard in a podcast was that they weren't currently licensing it.

I'm protected from wrongdoing on my end if I properly licensed software from Adobe.
    Except that you were notified by Adobe that older versions that contain Dolby IP should no longer be used, and warned that doing so could result in litigation.

If Adobe did something wrong on their end, that's their responsibility.
    Again, not necessarily an issue with "wrong doing" just that business can boil down to negotiations and numbers and if two companies can't find a meeting ground... well, such is life.

And as someone else posted, this is the drawback with subscription based software in that your EULA is subject to ongoing changes because it can't guarantee ongoing rights to use it like an actual purchase would. As your software evolves and changes so do your rights to features provided by partners/license holders. Subscription offer a huge advantage in that they let more people get access to software that can be otherwise cost prohibitive, but you can't expect it to be all "upside". There are bound to be drawbacks like this and that you may pay more over the life of your software use.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Which just means negotiating another discount in a year. Think of it as a necessary annual maintenance conversation that saves you hundreds off each following year. Easily worthwhile.
    The deal is for new subscribers. You cannot negotiate a deal as an existing user now, or in a year.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Except that you were notified by Adobe that older versions that contain Dolby IP should no longer be used, and warned that doing so could result in litigation.
    Except that's not how that works. Unless you're going to do the leg work and point to statutes that say otherwise, I'm going to disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by FredyN View Post
    Am I a dinosaur if i am still using CS6?
    I have tryed CC 2016 - but not such a progres. But the lates AE CC have a nice feature - Content-Aware Fill for removing objects from video .
    If I will need it, I will give it a try.
    If you are, I am too. I still have CS6 installed, but rarely use it since moving on. PS still does a few things my other software doesn't, which is why I haven't totally killed it off.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12