Thread: Adobe CC 3rd Party Licenses Are Expiring for Older Versions. Is Lightwave Vulnerable

Adobe CC 3rd Party Licenses Are Expiring for Older Versions. Is Lightwave Vulnerable

Adobe sent an email explaining that older CC versions will no longer be available, because 3rd party tech licenses for the older versions have expired.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/774413...-third-parties

Is Lightwave also vulnerable to this?

This is a perfect reason not to have subscription.
    They have their users by the b***s for payment every month.
    Sounds like you are also forced to upgrade your computer to run the latest version only, if they increase the minimum computer requirements on a new release.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

All this is crazy. You'd think that Photoshop CS6 users who's got a perpetual license would be safe for all eternity, and then they do this (or.. their partners do this, I don't know..). Gives me a headache!
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

It is crazy, but guess they've been forced into this position by Dolby it seems.

I very very much doubt LightWave uses any Dolby licensed stuff, so can't imagine it's an issue for us... but it's good to know. Glad I don't license Adobe products at home, that's all I can say.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    All this is crazy. You'd think that Photoshop CS6 users who's got a perpetual license would be safe for all eternity, and then they do this (or.. their partners do this, I don't know..). Gives me a headache!
    They only mention CC versions, so I don't think CS6 and earlier are in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonman View Post
    They only mention CC versions, so I don't think CS6 and earlier are in danger.
    I hope you're right. I paid about $1000 for CS 5.5 about 5 years ago. I'd be mighty pissed if they tried to take it away. I definitely would not go with Adobe again. I use Photoshop, Premier, After Effects, and sometimes Audition, but Audacity can do everything I need for sound, and there are alternatives to the others. Also, considering how much Adobe costs, their software can get really buggy at times.

Wow, that's insane!! I don't like subscription based software either and am glad to own the standalone CS6 which I got when a student in college. I do wonder though, when I do a fresh install of CS6, it does access and download updates from Adobe for the software. How long will those updates be available for? I wish Adobe would released the fully patched CS6 so I don't have to be accessing the online updates and wondering how long they'll last because if Adobe decides to pull those updates then the CS6 software stands as it did upon release with whatever bugs the patch fixes.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

The situation is not extraordinary. What is extraordinary is that Adobe would allow users (and that users would want) to continue to use older software when they are paying for the latest/greatest.

As clearly noted in the announcement, this only affects subscription CC, not the old perpetual CS.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    ...I wish Adobe would released the fully patched CS6 so I don't have to be accessing the online updates and wondering how long they'll last because if Adobe decides to pull those updates then the CS6 software stands as it did upon release with whatever bugs the patch fixes.
    Even though there's not a single, final installer for CS6, you can (and should) backup all those CS6 updates, if they are still there on the web site (not via the "automated" update tool).

The only thing perpetual CS users should worry about is when something goes haywire @ Adobe and you can no longer activate your software. Allegedly, Adobe will offer an activation-free version of CS at that time...hopefully in a more competent way than when they released an activation-free CS2 to everybody.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 05-16-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Unfortunately the patches come in and are applied via the Adobe Download Manager software so I can't just download them and back them up. I stopped by their site and asked could I download CS6 with the patches applied and they put my hold for ages, to the point I gave up. I'll try again another time.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Its being blown out of proportion. This isn't Adobe threatening to sue anyone, its them telling you, you're at risk of litigation from a third party by using these past versions of CC. This doesn't affect past versions of perpetual licenses(CS).
    And this is completely irrelevant to LightWave. Unless Worley decided he didn't want you to use that crappy Sas lite plugin from Version 7 and said they'll sue anyone who uses it (and if they did, they would be doing you a favor by making you not use it- it was awful).
    This has nothing to do with subscription but I know everyone is now trying to use it as a way to further demonize subscription based services.

Another very positive slant you have even on this issue Hrgiger. How do you manage to turn every comment into a negative about LightWave one.
    Maybe use your energy elsewhere, and a bit more productively?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Another very positive slant you have even on this issue Hrgiger.
    However we might feel, can we please not stoop to calling one another out. It doesn't really help improve the tone.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Unfortunately the patches come in and are applied via the Adobe Download Manager software so I can't just download them and back them up. I stopped by their site and asked could I download CS6 with the patches applied and they put my hold for ages, to the point I gave up. I'll try again another time.
    Adobe is intentionally making this difficult because they want your frustration to lead to a CC subscription. They rarely ever bother to issue a cumulative installer. They only offer individual updates.

Here's how to grab the updates.

Use Archive.org to navigate to http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html (somewhere in 2014)

From there, dig around for each of your products. The links with "detail.jsp?ftpID" are still working on adobe.com.

Example:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5408

Don't expect Adobe to keep these online. Back up now.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Another very positive slant you have even on this issue Hrgiger. How do you manage to turn every comment into a negative about LightWave one.
    Maybe use your energy elsewhere, and a bit more productively?
    This isn't at all about LightWave at all in its current form, its about a past tool that isn't even available anymore. And a tool that was frankly no good even when I used nothing but LightWave. Seriously, lighten up. Sasquatch was a great tool back then. Sas lite, not so much.... I hope you won't be offended on my next set of comments about the 56k modem...
    Last edited by hrgiger; 05-16-2019 at 07:31 PM.