Thread: Severe AUDIO Latency issue on brand new Tricaster Mini Advanced

Angry Severe AUDIO Latency issue on brand new Tricaster Mini Advanced

Hello there...

I am having a very frustrating problem that I can't seem to get any support on. Just bought a new Tricaster Mini Advanced. All I am trying to do is monitor my production's audio from the Tricaster in real time. I have a very simple setup. Two microphones go into a Behringer mixer.... then the mixer's balanced main outs go into the Tricaster's audio L and R audio ins. Thats it. So... now when I try to monitor that audio from either the Tricaster's headphone out... or from either of the L or R audio outs... there is a terrible delay (latency). I checked the audio signal coming from the Behringer mixer and there is no delay out of the mixer, so the signal coming in is fine. If I plug in a camera to any of the HDMIs (audio muted on the camera) and record myself talking on the microphones like in a podcast situation with the Tricaster, the audio is recorded in sync with the video on the Tricaster just fine... with no delay. But when I try to monitor what I am doing in real time with a pair of headphones... the delay (latency) is so terrible (at least a a quarter to half second... that it is nearly impossible to listen and talk at the same time without going crazy. Also... if I play a video clip that has been loaded into one of the Tricaster's DDRs, there is no delay or latency with the audio that comes out. This problem only happens to audio being fed into the onboard audio ins. Yes I have checked the onboard delay functions and none of them are enabled. And yes the unit has been updated to have the latest firmware build. And the issue was also happening before the firmware update. I find it implausible to think that a $6000 device will not let you monitor your productions thru its onboard headphone or audio outs in real time without latency. Please Help! There is a diagram attached of my setup. Thank you so much!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

The delay thru the TriCaster Mini should be about 3 frames. Which while small, shouldn't be a quarter or even close to a half second. It makes me think that something else is adding to the latency, but from you diagram I don't see where it would be. Have you measured the latency, or is this what it 'feels' like?

Also, I'm wondering a bit about the workflow. You mention listing and talking at the same time. Is the mic you are speaking into also routed to your headphones? If that is case it doesn't really matter if there is latency or not, the feedback of your own audio into your ears will make it difficult to talk. You really need to setup a mix-minus for that kind of workflow.
    Last edited by kanep; 05-14-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Just for kicks - plug headphones directly into TriCaster. Now SOLO the LINE source in Audio Mixer rather than listening to MASTER out. Does SOLO make any difference from hearing MASTER?

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    The delay thru the TriCaster Mini should be about 3 frames. Which while small, shouldn't be a quarter or even close to a half second. It makes me think that something else is adding to the latency, but from you diagram I don't see where it would be. Have you measured the latency, or is this what it 'feels' like?

Also, I'm wondering a bit about the workflow. You mention listing and talking at the same time. Is the mic you are speaking into also routed to your headphones? If that is case it doesn't really matter if there is latency or not, the feedback of your own audio into your ears will make it difficult to talk. You really need to setup a mix-minus for that kind of workflow.
    Hey there! I have no way to measure the latency... but it is way more than just 3 frames. The work flow is exactly as shown in the diagram. Since nothing is coming out of the Tricaster and going back into a mixer channel... there is no way to get feedback from my own audio. I would only need a mix minus if I was trying to monitor audio signals coming out of the Tricaster and back into the mixer. Even if everything is disconnected except for 1 microphone... the latency still occurs. 1 mic in... directly into Tricaster... or 1 mic in plugged into mixer then directly into Tricaster... same results. Long latency coming out of all 3 Tricaster outputs when monitoring in real time. This unit is brand new out of the box... with factory default settings. There should be no noticeable latency when in use. I do not know what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by motrctykid View Post
    There should be no noticeable latency when in use.
    That's an incorrect assumption, actually.

It is inevitable that any a/v mixer will introduce some small amount of latency to be capable of mixing video streams, but this should not normally exceed 3 frames for TriCaster (sometimes less, depending on various factors). This is why any audio source presented at TriCaster's inputs (whether analog or digital) will be delayed a corresponding amount, in order to sync up with the accompanying video. But this should be nothing like 1/4 of a second.

In a related matter, with the exception of some oddball cases that introduce latency or sync issues ahead of TriCaster's inputs, audio and video already in sync and then ingested by TriCaster should be in sync at its outputs, which they would not be if there was no audio latency whatsoever. (There are a ton of variables involved here, so it's hard to know what the issue is in your setup, but these and similar facts are one reason that mix-minuses are in such widespread use.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi motrctykid, Welcome to the forum. The three gentlemen who have responded are some of the smartest men when it comes to getting help here with a Tricaster. They don't give advice lightly, so try what they suggest first and report your findings. Sometimes it's one little, odd thing that can create an issue. Perhaps you might have someone else speak into the mic and be on camera from a different room and then you monitor and see if you're seeing the issue. Our setup has about 2 frames off, yet when I try and monitor my own voice through the system it seems a lot longer but it's still just 2 frames. My brain adds time to my internal processing.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Reading this I got interested in this topic as well.
    I have the same finding, means: I have approx 1/4 second latency on my TC mini and always thought "that's the way it is".
    To clarify things:

- The "analog audio OUT" does *not* show any perceptable latency in reference to the "video out" neither monitored through the user interface (HDMI monitor) nor the video digital out (SDI in my case). So the *processed* audio and video signals are in sync.

- The mentioned "long latency" appeares between "audio analog IN" and "audio analog OUT/Headphone" when monitoring the programm stream (audio master channel). The result is that the live talking is *not* in sync with the monitoring through TC. But neither the video out nor the audio out are in sync with the live input signal(s).

- I didn't measure the "long" latency yet, but it is way off lip sync, so 1/4 to 1/2 second would be my guess as well.

As said before: I was (and still am) thinking that this behavior is normaly because processing of video usually takes some time. Just wondering why the experts say there shouldn't be any perceptable latency.

Regards
    Ralf
    TriCaster Mini SDI AE 4-0-17031C
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface; Novation Launchpad
    BlackMagic Smart Video Hub 12x12; BlackMagic Multiview 4
    4x Panasonic AW-HE40 via SDI; Remote controller AW-RP50

Hi Ralf,

People say you should not have long latency at the headphones because it is true for most TriCaster users, this is NOT normal and must only affect a small number of users. Why, I do not know, but it is broken if it is behaving that way.

Which TriCaster software version are you running?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Audio from any output should be in complete sync - period. If it isn't, think of a good way to demonstrate the issue repeatedly and write a bug report.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

For the records: I measured the delay between audio analog in and analog out: 180 ms.
    Admittedly not the claimed 1/4 to 1/2 a second but more than 3 frames ([email protected]; TriCaster Mini SDI AE 4-0-17031C).
    TriCaster Mini SDI AE 4-0-17031C
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface; Novation Launchpad
    BlackMagic Smart Video Hub 12x12; BlackMagic Multiview 4
    4x Panasonic AW-HE40 via SDI; Remote controller AW-RP50

Good idea, I'll give that a try too.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator