Thread: Motion Mixer and .mdd files

Motion Mixer and .mdd files

Hi everyone,

I am new to Lightwave and use it to make several animation sets. It is working fine so far. However I was trying to find out if I can 'blend' them, so that there is a smooth transition. The purpose is that the animation (with the character) are going to be used in a video game. The character is going to walk, run and jump. For making sure that the animations are not interrupted in an unsmooth way, I want to blend them. So I thought the motion mixer would be a great way to do it. The problem that I have now is that I want to make these three different animation sets and I want them to be single accessible. With the motion mixer I can only seem to 'bake' them directly, after finishing them. They are in the motion mixer then and I don't seem to have the possibility to use them outside of the motion mixer or to change them up, etc.
    I also tried baking them in a .mdd file, which works fine (I know that I can't change up anything afterward, as well. Even though I have every single set in a seperate file then), but if I try to load those files into the motion mixer, nothing happens. The motion mixer doesn't seem to get the animation set and gives me an empty part. I guess that is, because there are no keyframes anymore, if I use the baked files.

Btw. I am using a skelegon rig that I made in Layout and weighted in Modeler.

So, I am wondering if there is a possibility to achieve what I want or if I just didn't see something obvious/didn't try out everything.
    I hope it was understandable so far.
    Thanks for helping out!

gc_ruby

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Right... MDDs you cant use with motion mixer, nor later in a game (and if you could, you wouldnt want to), as this is baked to the mesh.

As for keyframe animation, yes, to output the final work from MM, MM bakes down to keyframes, just how it works (its none too different to motionbuilder et al in this fashion). Also, whilst inside MM, the animations are "locked".

So that's basically how it goes... if you're purely wanting to join the end of one aniamtion to the beginning of another, that is, work matched "point" poses, then you dont need the full functionality of MM to do that, and you may find my animation tools helpful for pose and motion copying, pasting, and so on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lxt...&index=31&t=0s
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thank you for responding so fast. I checked out your tool and it seems pretty handy! Thanks a lot