Thread: Google earth "studio" - photoreal google earth

Google earth "studio" - photoreal google earth

One time years ago I brought Google Earth (then called keyhole) to the VFX house I worked at and it shut down productivity for half a day! NOW the NEW GOOGLE EARTH STUDIO promises photoreal images in real time. Would love to import their datasets into LW. https://www.google.com/earth/studio/

Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    One time years ago I brought Google Earth (then called keyhole) to the VFX house I worked at and it shut down productivity for half a day! NOW the NEW GOOGLE EARTH STUDIO promises photoreal images in real time. Would love to import their datasets into LW. https://www.google.com/earth/studio/
    Sweet, thanks for the heads up, as I understand it..I could then pick an area where I live, make a videotour and publish on youtube publicly...as long as I do not make any money of it?
    I thought there was restrictions on such things previously...had I recorded a tour browsing from google maps etc?

Itīs only for google chrome though, I mostly use firefox..but canīt be that much of a deal if I want to use it.

Software is free

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Sweet, thanks for the heads up, as I understand it..I could then pick an area where I live, make a videotour and publish on youtube publicly...as long as I do not make any money of it?
    I thought there was restrictions on such things previously...had I recorded a tour browsing from google maps etc?

Itīs only for google chrome though, I mostly use firefox..but canīt be that much of a deal if I want to use it.
    It is free for non-commercial purposes but you have to ask to be in on the beta.

I got to test this last night. It's not a mindblowing experience in my part of the world. Still the same, crappy resolution on landscape geometry and satellite photos, no 3D buildings, foliage or anything.

I haven't tested in big cities abroad though, but I guess cities like New York, London, L.A. etc may look better.

The rendering doesn't seem any different than Google Earth. The same blue haze at a distance, same camera controls. The news here is that you have a timeline, set a framerate and can export a video or "tracking data" to After Effects. I guess the data is camera position and rotation.

Could probably be an awesome tool for previz at least. Location scouting etc.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

looks to me they are using google earth VR, the decent models and textures are only restricted to major areas but it is growing, several local areas to me that used to be low res on google maps are now fully high res 3d terrain and buildings.
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    I got to test this last night. It's not a mindblowing experience in my part of the world. Still the same, crappy resolution on landscape geometry and satellite photos, no 3D buildings, foliage or anything.

I haven't tested in big cities abroad though, but I guess cities like New York, London, L.A. etc may look better.

The rendering doesn't seem any different than Google Earth. The same blue haze at a distance, same camera controls. The news here is that you have a timeline, set a framerate and can export a video or "tracking data" to After Effects. I guess the data is camera position and rotation.

Could probably be an awesome tool for previz at least. Location scouting etc.
    I just took it for a spin, initially checking my location and home, it has my house and neighbouring foliage, the resolution could be a little better there though, itīs a small suburb of stockholm city ..around 2 miles from city.
    Then I went to stockholm ..almost city, at the Globe area, where they usually have hockey and some concerts, that resolution seems much better.
    it took me maybe 4 minutes to figure out how to add keyframes and move along in the timeline..that with only manual zooming, paning and tilting...I need to learn how to place the camera better later.
    started a render and it started to render to jpg sequences and is doing so when I am writing this, will have a look at the result now and what other formats there may be.

My first recording, saved as jpg image sequences then I loaded all frames in to DaVinci Resolve, and saved out as quicktime h264.

Though You may be better of just directing someone to a drone footage animation over the area, thereīs so much of areas covered with that..but it may be great for your own scouting where and when needed.

If I find it worthwhile, I may do some of my neighbourhood and perhaps the kings castle in the heart of stockholm.

The sample below is the globe area, one of the worldst largest spherical domeīs (if not the largest)
    The Globe is part of the world’s largest model of our planetary system (http://www.swedensolarsystem.se/en/)

That's way better than anything I saw in my trip around Norway.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10