Thread: A couple of other NDI Virtual Input related items I've noticed

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar

A couple of other NDI Virtual Input related items I've noticed

But there are a couple of things related to virtual input I've noticed recently:

In the latest version of Chrome (v74.xxx), any web site accessing the virtual input media device will wait for it until a video source is assigned to it - HOWEVER - it will not let any other video source (eg - a physical webcam) be selected until it gets a media stream from the virtual input. You can switch to a webcam in the UI but it wont actually change anything. This happens across tabs - if one tab is waiting for a virtual input you cannot switch media devices in any of the other tabs either. This isn't specific to NDI Virtual Input - it happens with other virtual webcam software as well and can even happen with some older webcams. While this is more of an edge case, it's good to be aware of it. It took us a while to figure it out after a client called in with a related issue.

ALSO - It appears that NDI Virtual Input no longer works with desktop Skype under Windows 10 - not sure if there is something I'm missing on my side or if Skype is actively blocking it now. It does work with the Web-based version of Skype, but that doesn't offer NDI out. It also doesn't see the vMix virtual webcam - so again this isn't specific to NDI Virtual Input. I'm not sure how long this has been happening (or if it is just an issue for me somehow) but I wanted to share this as a heads-up in case anyone was planning to use it in a production.

Best,
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

I haven't got time just now to check this out myself, but have you entered Fogbugz cases, John?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Steve - Since I saw both of these issues with other virtual webcam solutions as well as NDI Virtual Input, my assumption is that these issues are not anything NewTek specific.

I posted it more as a PSA for anyone that might run in to them.

I'm happy to enter them into FogBugz if someone on the tech team wants to follow up and investigate.

Best,
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

Yeah, I agree the problem is probably at M$, but think it would be useful for QA to check it out and escalate it up to them. We have quite a good relationship with them and it would be good to get this fixed asap.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Sounds good. I'll open a ticket.

-john
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]

Gear:

Virtual Input has never worked with the Windows Store version of Skype, which only accepts devices supporting Media Foundation. You have to use the desktop version which has standard webcam support.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Virtual Input has never worked with the Windows Store version of Skype, which only accepts devices supporting Media Foundation. You have to use the desktop version which has standard webcam support.
    This seems to be right. Dan was running the desktop version, and VI worked for him. I was running the store version (because the other version has not reinstated the ability to open multiple chat windows, which I really miss otherwise!), and VI failed.

So that is a bit of info I didn't have before. Be nice if we could talk M$ into fixing this in the store version, which is otherwise preferable imho.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Thanks guys! With development and testing I do so many reinstalls I can’t keep track of the installed versions of things.

John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]

Gear:

Yes. I was able to see the virtual input on skype using Chrome but not the Desktop version. Thanks for the info!