Thread: Using Spark and Point to Point bridges

Using Spark and Point to Point bridges

Last weekend I connected my PTZ Optics camera running the NDI HX firmware upgrade to a set of ubiquiti nano stations and used it as a centerfied shot for softball. It worked great and had very little latency! I was also able to control it from the switcher. I previously had used a similar setup but instead of using my PTZ camera, I used a regular camera and connected a HDMI to Lan converter both on the send and receive ends. This resulted in almost a full second of latency.

I would like to use the point to point solution with a real camera from the end zone of a football game. Probably 200 feet away or so. Well within the point to point range. My question is whether there would be a significant delay if I used a Spark vs using that HDMI to Lan connection sending the signal over the ubiquiti point to point bridge? The Spark is NDI HX like my PTZ is but would there be any significant latency added getting the HDMI signal to the spark?

Also, would the Spark pro provide full NDI and if so would that be faster or slower than NDI HX?
    Last edited by Radio_TVPat1982; 04-29-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Bump

Newtek ELITE partner
    Hi PAT,
    After using both of those Sparks, I can tell you that the spark NDI HX will add significant latency to your solution, because of the h.264 encoding. However, it will use only a few MB on your network, allowing you to make it travel easier along your network.
    Spark pro doesn't uses full NDI to carry the video signal, and is powered via POE (or external if you don't have any poe injector / switch)

The latency is around 13 lines, way faster than the NDI HX. I can't see any difference between my camera going into the Spark Pro and an SDI caméra directly in the TC1.

Regarding the SPARK NDI HX, It depends on your camera output. Just be sure that the HDMI or SDI output isn't coming with video delay. (Ie some functions like Digital noise reduction on some PTZ may add 40ms delay)

Best,

Loïc
    TriCaster TC-1
    TC1 LP
    NC1 I/O
    Spark HDMI / SDI
    Spark Pro
    HE130 Panasonic
    PTZ1 Newtek
    Livestream Studio Station (8i/10o)
    Xkeys
    BMD atems

Newtek ELITE partner
    Quote Originally Posted by loic CAREPROD View Post
    Hi PAT,
    After using both of those Sparks, I can tell you that the spark NDI HX will add significant latency to your solution, because of the h.264 encoding. However, it will use only a few MB on your network, allowing you to make it travel easier along your network.
    Spark pro doesn't uses full NDI to carry the video signal, and is powered via POE (or external if you don't have any poe injector / switch)

The latency is around 13 lines, way faster than the NDI HX. I can't see any difference between my camera going into the Spark Pro and an SDI caméra directly in the TC1.

Regarding the SPARK NDI HX, It depends on your camera output. Just be sure that the HDMI or SDI output isn't coming with video delay. (Ie some functions like Digital noise reduction on some PTZ may add 40ms delay)

Best,

Loïc
    I tried to edit my last post, but didn't found how to.

I made a mistake about what I wrote :
    The spark pro DOES full NDI
    TriCaster TC-1
    TC1 LP
    NC1 I/O
    Spark HDMI / SDI
    Spark Pro
    HE130 Panasonic
    PTZ1 Newtek
    Livestream Studio Station (8i/10o)
    Xkeys
    BMD atems