Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOF Noise

Well this is a bit of a disaster. I can get it looking pretty good with out using DOF so I decided to try and render out a depth pass and comp it in After Effects or DaVinci Resolve. However when I set up exrTrader to render out the passes as exr files, Lightwave crashes as soon as the render starts. It then seems to corrupt something and I have to un-install and re-install Lightwave to continue. Trying to render out a depth buffer with the Lightwave native render also seems to crash things. db&w are aware of my issue. Could be yet another fun Lightwave/Mac thing.

Well it looks like something has corrupted my file. I opened up another scene (still with out exrTrader right now) and no crash. Not sure where to go with this now. How can you fix a file when you don't know when or how it went bad? Crap

you seem to be in LW 18+, so why not just set up a regular buffer from the render options panel under buffers just tick depth turn on VPR and select the depth channel, then set VPR to normalise display and adjust the min and max settings, then you can tick the buffer in render outputs and set a file path for it to render a stack, I do this all the time, its very easy now

are you using source control? i would highly reccomend doing so. something simple like file hamster will work well for what you would need.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goodrich View Post
    Well this is a bit of a disaster. I can get it looking pretty good with out using DOF so I decided to try and render out a depth pass and comp it in After Effects or DaVinci Resolve. However when I set up exrTrader to render out the passes as exr files, Lightwave crashes as soon as the render starts. It then seems to corrupt something and I have to un-install and re-install Lightwave to continue. Trying to render out a depth buffer with the Lightwave native render also seems to crash things. db&w are aware of my issue. Could be yet another fun Lightwave/Mac thing.
    I would try setting your minimum and maximum camera samples to the same setting. If you have a low minimum setting and a high maximum setting and the 1st sample is the same as one next to it then it will be flagged as OK even though it isn't. Then when you change the camera view the value will change dramatically on the pixel and through further sample resolve to the opposite of it's neighbour. Then you move the camera again and the pixels 1st value is the same as it's neighbour so is rendered = bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Oh, btw... I notice in your screenshots that your lights arent visible to camera... so what's being reflected in the shiny surfaces? Are you by any chance using luminous geo, because if so... don't. Lose it, and make lights visible.
    Sorry to add more confusion, but lights don't need to be set to 'visible to camera' to be seen in reflections. That is only to make the 'light-shape' visible to the camera, it WILL appear in reflections still even if this is unticked.
    If you tick visible to camera on, you will then get a visible square/sphere when you move a light into the frustum of the camera.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

OK, I think perhaps we may have another issue. Which I've seen on other threads and will look up after this post.

I removed the DOF and up'ed the light samples to 128 and the camera is at 8 min/max. Looking at the buffers I've now have got no noise on the spec direct, the Raw RGB or the shadow passes. However, my final render has what looks like flickering white noise in it. It's very noticeable in the red chair which has pixels of white which go on and off from frame to frame. Also major crawlies on the back ornate frame. I did enable despike at 0.8 tolerance but they're still there. Any ideas? Thanks so much for everyone's help so far.

I Got these: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...t=white+spikes
    post #4 and yes, my camera does go through the area light.

I finally got the non DOF render to look fairly good. Had to up the reflection samples to 16. So the crawlies on the frame are mostly gone but the render times are creeping up. And this is before I try and add DOF. I still have some jitter on the edge of the frame. Trying some higher settings to see if it cures it. Also my problems with exrTrader were a RAM issue (as in not enough on that computer). Unchecking the save all buffers cured it. Thanks Mike.

- - - Updated - - -

This is because of animation. I could render a still at lower settings and be fine. But no, I have to try and do an animation render.

Update. I can get the scene looking good with no DOF. Camera samples 9, Reflections 16 and Area light 128. Fairly decent render times. However, when I add LW DOF I get crawlies all over the frame in the back ground. I've tried the same principals that worked for the no DOF but no luck. I went up to Camera 7, reflections 288 and lights 2048. This was 9 minutes to render on a iMac Pro 36 core, 256 Gb ram. So I'm thinking at this point that there's something wrong with the object itself. I looked over the geometry and nothing really stands out other than it's bloody huge (757,579 polygons). This was a object I purchased from the web. So i didn't build it. I tripled the non planer polygons and can't seem to see anything that might be causing this. So now I'm trying to do the DOF in post (testing both After Effects and DaVinci Resove). Thanks again for everyone's help it makes it easier to figure out what's gong on.

Well fun new issue. I've gotten it to work with using post DOF in After Effects. However I've now noticed that the Fur is crawly and flickering. I've tried upping settings but no luck so far. My settings are:
    Light 256
    Camera 15
    Reflection 20, Refraction 2, Subsurface 1

Any ideas? What should I increase for Fiber FX quality? The rest of the scene is fine. Thanks.

Usually upping the minimum camera samples help with FiberFX jaggyness, but not sure how high it should be as it depends on your FFX settings too.

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Would adjusting the fiber width or size help? Not sure what would make it better, thanks.

Not sure mate... Try it, but FFX is a tricky one as it can get a bit jaggy with lower sampling settings.
    Making it thicker may help the renderer trace the lines though, although not 100% certain

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Yeah... once you get down to any kind of detail that is, in screen space terms, less than 1 pixel wide... the required AA (camera sampling) goes up considerably.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12