Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D printing

3D printing

I've decidedly to take the leap into 3d printing as the price has dropped to something reasonable so I have a couple of questions.
    How good is Lightwave for producing the models. Are there any gotchas I need to worry about.
    Does anyone have any experience with this model?
    https://m.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3...iABEgLUavD_BwE
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

there is no sanctuary....
    It looks exactly like the Creality 10S
    https://www.creality3d.shop/collecti...-300x300x400mm
    which has a great reputation. I went with the ender 3, smaller version which I've had great luck with.

Lightwave works great for the modeling, I've had no issues bringing things into Cura for slicing. The usual things apply, make sure rounder doesn't overlap points etc., freeze the subpatches before exporting. I'm not at my computer, but there a third party .stl exporter that is simpler to get the scaling correct with, I'll try to add the link later.

Also get the free version of netfab, checks the model and has a simple repair if there is something wrong with it.

Seeing your designs come to life before your eyes is addictive, you've been warned.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.0 x64
    Space Navigator

I can imagine. Hopefully it'll get me modelling again as well. Something I'm having difficulty finding the time for. So hopefully this will generate some projects.
    Have you tried various plastic types, and if so which have you had most luck with.

Thanks for your response btw
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Me too. But I'd rather have direct feedback from people that use Lightwave.
    Lmgtfy. Thanks.
    Forum Tips

LightWave is fine for 3D printing. You just need to make sure the object is tripled, completely sealed, doesn't contain junk geometry, and doesn't have manifold surfaces (i.e., penetrating polygons.)

My typical workflow is to block out my object in Modeler, send it to 3D Coat as a voxel object so I can sculpt the details, re-mesh it, and send the mesh back to Modeler for finishing. If there are any errors in the object, it's usually pretty easy to fix in Modeler. When it's done, save the object as an .stl and print it.

All my experience has been with a Form 1+ printer but I'm thinking of getting a Makerbot Mini+. The Form 1+ has been an awesome printer and the quality is amazing. I got in with the original Form 1 Kickstarter campaign years ago when the desktop stereo-lithography tech was still very experimental. But this printer is also a bit expensive to keep up, and I think I want something simpler and less expensive now. Will post if I decide to get the Mini+.

Quote Originally Posted by cagey5 View Post
    I can imagine. Hopefully it'll get me modelling again as well. Something I'm having difficulty finding the time for. So hopefully this will generate some projects.
    Have you tried various plastic types, and if so which have you had most luck with.

I've only used PLA at this point, PTEG is next. ABS is when you start needing an enclosure and has various opinions on it's toxicity in enclosed areas.

That .stl exporter is mentioned here....
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...t=stl+exporter

I've never bother to triple before exporting, has worked fine so far. If you decide to use Cura, it takes .obj files directly but doesn't like Lightwaves.

Thanks for your response btw
    Anytime.

Greenlaw:
    I'm insanely jealous of that Form 1, really nice prints from those SL machines!
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    LW 2019.0 x64
    Space Navigator

sure would like the Form 1,

i found a halfway solution though, a print service...
    https://www.shapeways.com
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

The original Form 1 from the Kickstarter campaign was kind of a 'work in progress'...I went through three of the units but Form Labs improved the units and replaced them free each time. That encouraged me to upgrade to the Form 1+ when it came out, which is what I have now.

Yes, the print quality is amazing! Much higher than what you get with FDM printers.

The one downside has been that the liquid resin can be expensive and it has a shelf life of about a year. Also, my particular model is no longer supported by Form Labs, the company having moved on to higher-end industrial customers. I'm not bitter about that but, yeah, they pretty much priced me out of their market.

Anyway, that's why I'm looking into getting a simpler but decent FDM printer now, like the MakerBot Replicator Mini+. Anybody have an opinion about this model or have another recommendations?

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Depends on what you want, there are certainly better printers than the Mini+ out there, functionality wise, you're paying for the brand name, not features. I'd be looking at the Prusa i3, (and/or Lulzbot range as you're in the States), if you do lots of stuff that needs easily removable supports, then the BCN3D Sigma IDEX printers with dual heads, ( one for body material, one for PVA support) area good bet, or if you want cheap and cheerful, but are willing to spend time tweaking then the Creality Ender3 or for a huge build volume, the Creality CR10. If throughput is important, you could get two or three CR10s, or half a dozen Ender 3s for the same money as the Mini+.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Thanks pinkmouse! Your post gives me a bit to think about.

I'm mainly looking for very good quality prints, reliability and as little fussing as possible. The reviews I read for the mini+ seemed to fit what I'm looking for, and I also liked the idea of the built-in camera so I can monitor the progress from my phone. Yeah, I know that's gimmicky but, hey...

I agree, MakerBot is a bit pricey though, so I'm definitely looking at your suggestions and will compare.

The lads upstairs in R&D have a standard Replicator, and it's okay quality wise. The branded slicer isn't wonderful, has some issues with infill and top/bottom layers, but you can download Cura for free to sort that out. It also insists on printing everything on a raft, which, these days, is just a waste of material, but Cura would probably solve that as well. You do get decent support from Makerbot if stuff ever goes wrong, but a lot of spares are proprietary and expensive once that warranty runs out. They also "suggest" you only use their branded filament as well if you want to keep your guarantee, and that is another added cost, wheras the machines I mentioned don't have that lock-in.

Cameras are fun, and I'm looking at implementing them on my new home-built IDEX printer, but can also open up huge security holes in a network, so if it's at work, be aware!
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    Depends on what you want, there are certainly better printers than the Mini+ out there, functionality wise, you're paying for the brand name, not features. I'd be looking at the Prusa i3, (and/or Lulzbot range as you're in the States), if you do lots of stuff that needs easily removable supports, then the BCN3D Sigma IDEX printers with dual heads, ( one for body material, one for PVA support) area good bet, or if you want cheap and cheerful, but are willing to spend time tweaking then the Creality Ender3 or for a huge build volume, the Creality CR10. If throughput is important, you could get two or three CR10s, or half a dozen Ender 3s for the same money as the Mini+.
    Of those I'd look at the Prusa I3. Better mechanics than the creality machines, but a bit higher cost. I like the dual Z screws in particular and the short feed, better for soft filaments. Friend has one, pretty impressed. Lulzbot is pretty pricey for a hobby.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    LW 2019.0 x64
    Space Navigator

For a web cam monitor I saw one review where he just used a raspberry pi with a camera plugged into a usb port. Looked very simple and something I'll look to implement too.
    Forum Tips

Quote Originally Posted by cagey5 View Post
    For a web cam monitor I saw one review where he just used a raspberry pi with a camera plugged into a usb port. Looked very simple and something I'll look to implement too.
    Yeah, search Octoprint. Does a lot more than just a camera.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast