Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: David Ridlen post on why NT marketing & communication needs improvement....Will it?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Unfortunately, the more time that passes without someone from Vizrt stepping forth and discussing their intentions regarding Lightwave support and development, the more likely it is that Vizrt will not support or develop Lightwave.
    I wouldn't say that yet. I mean, I would think it would take some time to make some decisions on what is going to change and there would have to be time to make plans(if they haven't already). That said, nothing about the merger indicated that VizRT's interest in NT had anything to do with LW so I'm certainly not feeling at all that the VizRT acquisition means anything positive for LW.
    @Erikals- I don't recall what Chuck said exactly but given that these changes were supposed to be in 2018, the fact that its not 'available still now, I can only state the present. Not to mention, talk of developing modeling in Layout goes back over a decade ago to changes made for LW 9. So if you're still holding on to that hope/reality, you must be a man of faith. LightWave always has had the potential to be great, but Newtek took any momentum that LW had back in the day when I first started using and essentially squandered it by not properly supporting, not promoting or advertising and not staying committed to any direction that the software was heading at any point in time over the last two decades.

In no way is LightWave an alternative to Blender... Not in cost, not in features and not in direction. As far as the workflow of Blender, I get people's impression of poor workflow. I felt the same for some time. But the more time I spend in it(2.8 specifically), the more I see my impression of its workflow was simply my own lack of understanding.

I'm going to guess that it might be at least 1-2 years before we see any effect this acquisition might have on Lightwave. It's going to take some time to start turning the Newtek ship in the direction they would like it to go.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

In no way is LightWave an alternative to Blender... Not in cost, not in features and not in direction.
    Not in cost - lets face it, no one can beat the Blender cost
    Not in features - i feel that is a very biased claim...
    - can Blender do what IKBooster can do?
    - can Blender do what RHiggit can do?
    - is there a tool like LWCad for it?
    - does it have a MetaMesh equivalent?
    - does its smoke fluids compare to Turbulence?
    - etc etc etc
    if you need >those< specific kind of features, isn't LightWave still reliable? let me answer that > yes it is.
    Not in direction - yes, nothing new though.

i understand the frustration, but let's not paint it all black

there is still good use for LightWave, for some, when one put one's mind to it

Last edited by erikals; 05-13-2019 at 09:07 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

As far as the features...
    Well first, almost no one uses IK boost. Larry when he was alive and Ryan and I think it took some content/training from Ryan to actually get some information about IKBoost out there after all this time. But yes, someone made a full body IK system called BEPUik. That said, the animation tools in Blender are pretty awesome. You should take a look at Bendy bones. Obviously the Blender Institute movie projects show what can be done. Just look at what Chris Jones is doing since he switched to Blender from LightWave. https://blenderartists.org/t/human-progress/1143224
    Thing is, if you want something in Blender, there's probably an add on for it either free or usually cheap. There are several add ons which mimic a lot of LWCAD functions. Even more appealing is that a lot of these add-ons take advantage of Blenders modifier system so you can work non-destructively.
    Nothing that I'm aware of as far as meta-mesh/Mesh Fusion as far as SubD Booleans but then there are nothing like the blender Boolean in System in LW either. Booleans are fast, flexible and are often used as modifiers so you can edit them at any time. Boolean operations are saved to a collection that you can go back and change or move any of your cutter shapes, even if you've closed your scene and come back. Take a look at add ons like Boxcutter or hardops to see how insanely fast and easy Booleans are to work with.
    Yes, Blender is very capable of doing fluid smoke, fire, fluids and I'd say the results are comparable to Turbulence. And included with Blender. Of course, there are add ons like Flip fluids (for about $70 I think) which are pretty incredible.
    Those are just the things you mentioned. There are so many things Blender has that LW doesn't so that's why I said its not an alternative.
    Native GPU rendering with cycles, Render passes, principled hair shader, compositing, retopology, Micropoly displacement, Open Shading language, native sculpting, motion tracking, hair dynamics,... Its also a integrated application without the drawbacks of separation. This summer, things like the cloth simulation will get a rewrite and the particle system is going to be replaced... And of course I don't have to point out the results that Eevee is already capable of.

If people like using Lightwave, not trying to say they shouldn't. But it would be a shame to write off Blender as not an app you should also pick up.

- unfortunately the BEPUik project for Blender looks to be discontinued.
    - cycles is fast enough, but not when rendering smoke
    - nothing like LWCAD, but yes, love many of those modeling tools

some stuff is nice in LW and some stuff is nice is B
    so we agree to some things  

But it would be a shame to write off Blender as not an app you should also pick up.
    but i did, it's installed alright  
    Last edited by erikals; 05-13-2019 at 10:43 PM.

LightWave and where it is going perhaps will always be somewhat of a mystery. LW 2019 seemed to catch many off guard, but in a good way. But mum definitely seemed to be the word even pre-acquistion. For me, the most telling thing will be LW 2020, which I have to believe is in the works, and which I hope surprises everyone. The changes that 2018 and 2019 brought were inspiring and with OD Tools 2019, I don't have anything to complain about, just a lot to learn.
    Last edited by gdkeast; 05-14-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    - unfortunately the BEPUik project for Blender looks to be discontinued.
    - cycles is fast enough, but not when rendering smoke
    - nothing like LWCAD, but yes, love many of those modeling tools

some stuff is nice in LW and some stuff is nice is B
    so we agree to some things  

but i did, it's installed alright  
    look at FreeIK instead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=U6NG_13RadU

You can render smoke in Eevee in realtime and it looks almost as good as in Cycles.

What in LWCAD? there are a lot of tools in there and most of them is not needed in Blender as it has similar features already.

But then again there are so much things in Blender that LW doesn't have or come close too. You can buy all the plugins for LW that exist today and you're still not even close to half of the capability and nice workflow you have in Blender.

just take a look at this. You can ofcourse wait for a modeler update still separeted from layout, but this can be used now. no need to wait.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ARlbpOMBM

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    As far as the features...
    Just look at what Chris Jones is doing since he switched to Blender from LightWave. https://blenderartists.org/t/human-progress/1143224
    Thing is, if you want something in Blender, there's probably an add on for it either free or usually cheap.
    yeah, shame he passed over. Those kind of guys who post wip really draw attention to the software. Lightwave had that, once. Same with the plugins; it had a plugin for everything.
    Blender has swapped places with Lightwave. I see a lot of inspiring stuff from blender these days and more pov-ray stuff from Lightwave

fully converted ? awaiting the dissing of modo :P hehe

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    >> - can Blender do what IKBooster can do?
    >> - can Blender do what RHiggit can do?
    >> - is there a tool like LWCad for it?

To be fair, when you start talking 3rd party plugins, then arguably, Lightwave doesn't actually do those things.
    As regards LWCAd, which was the main reason I stuck with LW for so long, god I love that plugin and for sure, would love that for Blender. However, there are a few, built in, arch viz options for Blender and the snapping and edge work certainly was an improvement over LW for me. Though htere are features from LWCAD I would still like. As I say though, without LWCAD, modeller was, shall we say, languishing on the back burner.

I think LW still holds a place for people who are "layout centric" and for sure, that, historically, has been where the focus has been.
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I don't recall what Chuck said exactly but given that these changes were supposed to be in 2018, the fact that its not 'available still now, I can only state the present.
    Yeah exactly (statements about Layout being aware of polys / points / edges), not implemented in UI nor in SDK.

The same applies to Hydra Engine (at least a well performing one that deserves its name) and Metamorphic improvements.

Performance actually got worse and is far behind other applications and I don't see any improvement of Metamorphic over the plugin version. Very basic and slow sculpting and unusable slow weight painting.

My guess is that most of these statements were based on information of the former LW3DG president which was all smoke and mirrors (along with the full mouthed statements that LWNext will have the most modern architecture of all 3D applications which is absolutely ridiculous and the opposite is the case).

Cost aside, we should see in the coming months a time where side by side will exist Blender 2.8, Lightwave 2020 and Cinema 4D R21, and I think one important consideration is still the fastest returns for the least learning curve (I'm thinking individuals rather than teams). From a distance Blender still looks frightening to me....though strangely exciting. So it is partly down to transferrable skills, like if one is mentally wedded to the software or the process.

But then again there are so much things in Blender that LW doesn't have or come close too.
    yes, so one should use both.

i'm sure people have the same arguments when it comes to
    -Maya vs Blender
    -Max vs Blender
    -Modo vs Blender

cost included, ...and so on

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

yes, so one should use both.

i'm sure people have the same arguments when it comes to
    -Maya vs Blender
    -Max vs Blender
    -Modo vs Blender

cost included, ...and so on
    Sure, I read a thread at autodesk where people moaning why Maya don't have anything similar to Eevee yet.

It's only tools, use as many as you need and can afford.

If you're a Lightwave user adding Blender is a big gain. If you're a Blender user adding Lightwave is not much of a gain. (Edit: This is today, in the future it could be different)
    Last edited by Ztreem; 05-14-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    If you're a Lightwave user adding Blender is a big gain. If you're a Blender user adding Lightwave is not much of a gain. (Edit: This is today, in the future it could be different)
    True that one shouldn't shut oneself off from knowledge, but it would be a hassle (or enlightenment ) to learn half a dozen softwares to, say 80%, only to find that 50% of a couple would have been fine after all. Then again, Blender has created some sort of juggernaut mentality "Get onboard or be left at the station, but delay and it only becomes harder to reach your destination !".

Maybe if something already works in reasonable time, then don't budge an inch. I see vids where (paraphrasing) the instructor is like "I built this in Silo, then tweaked it in ZBrush, then took it to Marvelous, then imported to Maya, then rendered in Redshift, then tweaked in Photoshop, then....." you get the picture (then ).

My personal curiosity is which might be best in a character shootout for hair between LW, 4D and 2.8. One thing for CA is I don't believe Blender or 4D has any equivalent of TAFA or Mimic yet. Also sculpting is definitely cool but not a magic bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    One thing for CA is I don't believe Blender or 4D has any equivalent of TAFA or Mimic yet.
    Blender has an addon for automatic lipsync with rhubarb-lip-sync.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast