Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: David Ridlen post on why NT marketing & communication needs improvement....Will it?

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    TFD can output VDB. There's a command line converter bundled with TFD.
    It cannot output VDB but requires a cache command line conversion tool (bcf2vdb), not the best workflow imho and it doesn't work in all cases. However I think Prometheus meant is that you have to switch to legacy volumetrics in order to render TFD natively in LW2018+.

I'm not using TFD much these days. It's very unstable / non-working in LW and my Jawset support tickets were never looked at since several years. Still a good plugin (in Cinema) for simple fluid stuff but limited in its use compared to others.

I'm currently rendering a shockwave (created in X-Particles / ExplosiaFX, cache in VDB format) in LW 2019 but it's incredible slow to render. I maybe finish rendering it but eventually change to another engine since I made some modifications in the sim in the meantime.

Volumetrics render speed for me is in this order: Redshift (GPU), Cycles (4D, GPU), TFD (4D), LW2019 volumetrics.

LW volumes look nice and VDB import works fine but unfortunately it's so slow to render and viewport performance is very bad displaying the volume grid.
    Last edited by Marander; 05-20-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    TFD can output VDB. There's a command line converter bundled with TFD.
    yes I Know that...to me that isnt an acceptable workflow..takes too much time...and you have to go through that converting and reload process for every change in the simulatiion.

right now I am focusing on blender fire and smoke
    ..I need a bit more learnimg on that though.

LW volumes look nice and VDB import works fine but unfortunately it's so slow to render and viewport performance is very bad displaying the volume grid.
    Absolutely agree.

This is true

Gary Chike

Well, ok. That's probably enough.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415