Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: David Ridlen post on why NT marketing & communication needs improvement....Will it?

I don't look at cost (well its not a priority when choosing software anyway). the fact that Blender is free to download has nothing to do with picking it up. I've spent just as much on Blender this year as I did on Modo in both donations to the Blender Foundation as well as paid add-ons. The idea that Blender is 'free' is oversimplifying it. Blender costs money to develop just like every other piece of software out there so if you want it to continually improve, you pay for it one way or the other. And no, not dissing Modo, it will continue to be my main app for the foreseeable future, Blender is just another tool that does some things incredibly well.
    LightWave in its current form doesn't add anything to the mix. VizRT will change that or it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Sure, I read a thread at autodesk where people moaning why Maya don't have anything similar to Eevee yet.

It's only tools, use as many as you need and can afford.

If you're a Lightwave user adding Blender is a big gain. If you're a Blender user adding Lightwave is not much of a gain. (Edit: This is today, in the future it could be different)
    This is how I feel, exactly this... it's a very good sentiment.
    They're all just tools, use whatever you want/need to get the job done

Don't stress if another app has features you want, just use that app.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    ...- unfortunately the BEPUik project for Blender looks to be discontinued...
    look at FreeIK instead...
    These two projects are a good example of caution.

The developer of BEPUik did this on the side, not professionally. The extremely low barrier of entry to a GPL ecosystem is also a weak barrier to keep 3rd party developers locked in and engaged. Without a good business model as an outside developer, users can't really depend on the add-on. Most good add-ons break with each new B release and require constant maintenance.

(yes, plugin developers for LW also need good business models...and some assurance that the core application is dependable)

Like many add-ons, FreeIK is GPL. That means you don't really need to pay the asking price to get it. This also makes developers question their efforts for development if they're not likely to be paid.

B has been around for 2 decades. It does not take a genius to realize its value. So I'm wondering why these threads ramble on for a product that really needs no marketing...especially in a forum for another product.

Sure, I use B as well...but I come here to discuss LW.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

All threads lead to blender... when nobody has anything else useful to contribute.

So I'm wondering why these threads ramble on for a product that really needs no marketing...especially in a forum for another product.
    because some think LightWave has next to no value compared to Blender.

and i have to admit, it is a very strong competitor.

i'm just advocating that if you use workflow "A5 / A3" instead of "A1 / A7 / A2" then LightWave has its place.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I don't look at cost (well its not a priority when choosing software anyway)
    i do, i certainly do.

Well first, almost no one uses IK boost.
    ahem. not true, even though the number might not be staggering, and IKB is not a "solution to everything CA based"

You can render smoke in Eevee in real-time and it looks almost as good as in Cycles.
    Eevee does flicker, has lower render quality, and can't use it for photo-real animation.
    (like stated from the Blender foundation themselves)

What in LWCAD? there are a lot of tools in there and most of them is not needed in Blender as it has similar features already.
    snapping and just the workflow speed in general.

Blender has an addon for automatic lip-sync with rhubarb-lip-sync.
    not an equivalent of TAFA in any way.

i also wish Blender had Syflex support. perhaps the new Cloth solver they are working on will be great. perhaps.

raymondtrace BEPUik / FreeIK. These two projects are a good example of caution.
    yes, many Blender projects just seem to "dissipate"

again, i do use Blender, together with LightWave, and Houdini. +3DCoat.

is LightWave improving at an alright speed. i believe it finally is.
    Blender + plugins isn't better at absolutely everything that LightWave + plugins is capable of.
    does LightWave need to gear up? > Sure. is LightWave still viable in several situations? Yes.

Last edited by erikals; 05-14-2019 at 04:14 PM.

i do, i cetainly do.

Eevee does flicker, has lower render quality, and can't use it for professional animation.
    (like stated from the Blender foundation themseves)

not an equivalent of TAFA in any way.

i also wish Blender had Syflex support. perhaps the new Cloth solver they are working on will be great. perhaps.
    I’ve already used eevee for professional work and many others as well. Eevee saved my butt on my last project. Many times you can’t notice the difference between cycles and eevee, only the render time. It’s not a solution for every project but works for many and is a good companion while working.

The only thing I know about TAFA is that it’s made by timothy alby a long time ago and do morphmixing for lipsync.

Blender has an addon for automatic lipsync with rhubarb-lip-sync.
    Everybody has an addon for automatic lipsync with Rhubarb. For integration with LW, one just needs to craft a py frontend...or use it immediately as a standalone command line tool.

https://github.com/DanielSWolf/rhubarb-lip-sync
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I’ve already used Eevee for professional work and many others as well. Eevee saved my butt on my last project. Many times you can’t notice the difference between cycles and Eevee, only the render time. It’s not a solution for every project but works for many and is a good companion while working.
    sorry, i used the wrong word there, photo-real was the word.
    so no, Turbulence beats Blender in that regard.

though sure, it can (and should) be used in several other situations.

i guess blender will get mentioned less when there is something to talk about regarding lightwave. back to silence atm.
    don’t see any blog update or dev post.

just about all companies do this now.

just about all companies do this now.
    NT's lack of LightWave marketing has been mentioned hundreds of times. (literally)
    most of us i believe, are tired of writing it, but also reading it.

Last edited by erikals; 05-14-2019 at 04:22 PM.

sorry, i used the wrong word there, photo-real was the word.
    so no, Turbulence beats Blender in that regard.

though sure, it can (and should) be used in several other situations.
    You can still render in cycles if you need higher quality and use gpu’s to render quicker than LW. So I don’t see why turbulence is so much better? Is it even still developed?

use gpu’s to render quicker than LW.
    perhaps.

Is it even still developed?
    yes, but at a slow phase.

Here are thousands of instances. 2 seconds to render in Eevee. Of course, the viewport looks just about identical.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eevee REnder.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	144995

From the time TurbulenceFD2 was announced to be "in development" until now, you could've picked up Blender or Houdini and become quite good with it. So yes, TFD2 is insanely progressing very slow, and with very little, if any, communication from the dev.

I can understand why people abandon LW, and I can see why some stick with it. Some rely on certain tools (like me) which simply isn't available, or as good in other packages. These tools are 3rd party plugins or scripts though, so it's not about LW itself, but the ease of use and complexity of the result these plugins enables you to do.

Others rely on LW for the entire process, from model to animation and render. As much as it may sound stupid, I'm thoroughly in awe for you guys.

As pricing on certain software has become more aggressive (better for us users!), LW has become more of a tool in the toolbox for me than *the* tool.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast