Thread: Can't find the "Chamfer" smoothing tool

icon kid

Can't find the "Chamfer" smoothing tool

I'm looking for the "Chamfer" smoothing tool. It doesn't seem to be in my LW version (9.2). I already know that v9.2 is ancient to most of you but I go all the way back to v4.0 -- and back even further when Lightwave was it's precursor (VideoScape 3D on the Amiga platform), so no snipes about how old I am, please.

Quote Originally Posted by icon kid View Post
    I'm looking for the "Chamfer" smoothing tool. It doesn't seem to be in my LW version (9.2). I already know that v9.2 is ancient to most of you but I go all the way back to v4.0 -- and back even further when Lightwave was it's precursor (VideoScape 3D on the Amiga platform), so no snipes about how old I am, please.
    Yeah you won't find it. It came with 11.5 or so. You may be able to use Bevel or Rounder.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

icon kid
    Thanks for the reply. Instead of buying a later LW version I was wondering if I could go cheap by purchasing just a plug-in that would be as good as the native Lightwave Chamfer (if such a plug-in exists). Rounder is horrible at what it's supposed to do and Bevel is tedious and work intensive and is useful only for the simplist forms.

modo demo or

https://youtu.be/2jTLbjbN1DY

or lwcad

there was wedge bevel and uedge bevel, i think it was called but both came from same dev and his site is gone (happening a lot with lw plugins) you can search for them on the lightwave plugins db.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-24-2019 at 11:09 PM.

there is no sanctuary....
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.0 x64
    Space Navigator

icon kid
    Thanks, Bill. I checked out the JettoBevel. As its name indicates, it's a beveler, not a rounder although it has an option to make a bevel with a circular or spline-generated shape as opposed to strictly hard angular shapes. Also, the way JettoBevel was used in the demo was more like the way one might use Smooth Shift, being that the function was applied to only some polygons of the object and not all. It would have been more revealing to see the results of applying the function to all of the polygons at once, to see what king of smoothing effect you might produce though not technically being a smoothing tool. It's still a worthwhile addition to my tool box, however.

use od copy/paste with blender or modo

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    use od copy/paste with blender or modo
    blender bevel and then copy and paste ...+1 indeed.
    od plugin here..
    https://origamidigital.com/cart/inde...&product_id=52

and install blender if you havenīt got it.

LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

icon kid
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    lardbros:
    The JettoFillet page just offers a description with no demo. I'll have to install it so see how it compares to JettoBevel. I'll report back.

icon kid
    * gar26lw
    * prometheus

I'm not quite understanding what is it with Blender, Modo and Origami Digital? I have Blender but I don't even remember why I got it and have never used it. If I'm building a model in LW, how do I get Blender to perform a smoothing action on it and then give it back to LW?

when you say smoothing action, I had assumed you wanted a chamfer of an edge?

this guys explains the options in blender. With OD CopyPaste you should have a fairly smooth roundtrip.
    or you can use obj or fbx IO

saying that, I am not sure if OD copypaste is working in blender 2.8. Works in 2.7 though

Quote Originally Posted by icon kid View Post
    * gar26lw
    * prometheus

I'm not quite understanding what is it with Blender, Modo and Origami Digital? I have Blender but I don't even remember why I got it and have never used it. If I'm building a model in LW, how do I get Blender to perform a smoothing action on it and then give it back to LW?
    The chamfer is sort of built in to the bevel edge command in blender, with more options than just chamfer, itīs all in one, and you need to do more than just install it and forget why you installed it
    That obviously means learning the basics, it differs in the way thay for modeling operations, you need to enter edit mode..unlike in lightwave you are always in edit mode..once you grasp these basics, then you can utilize model
    tools that are lacking in either software and switch when needed.

The OD copy and pase is a free plugin, you need to install it both in blender and in Lightwave, and then you mostly use it through the menuīs.

hereīs a vid showcasing the OD copy and paste between just Lightwave and blender...

To note...it is not something like zbrush, where the model updates in Lighwtave after you make a chamfer or rounding in blender, it imports it as new geometry which means you need to have your original geometry saved or in other layers in Lightwave, should you need to go back to a previous state.

yeah it’s very handy. turns the other 3d prog into a big plugin

works well with maya too btw