Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is just TOO wierd

This is just TOO wierd

I've been translating scenes from Daz Studio to Lightwave generally using FBX export where I could. Started on one tonight called Streets of Venice, and as is usually the case, the cameras in DS are named Camera_01_Venice, etc. I prep the scene as I usually do make the FBX export. Very straight forward, no animation just cameras, props, etc. with a Bake Anything as the only export rule.

I import the FBX with Layout & make a new folder for it. I start working on the scene; cameras are where they should be, but with the exception of the default LW cam & one added to the Daz scene but didn't retail it's name, they're all named Camera_01_Morocco_1, etc!!!

Morocco, NOT Venice as they should be.

Now, I worked on a Streets of Morocco set some weeks back (by the same artist) but there've been several other entirely different projects in between and this never happened with them. Tried making the FBX a couple more times with same result.

Where/what/why is this happening? It does the same thing with FBX2012 so this is a bit scary.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Check apple maps database for latest.

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I've been translating scenes from Daz Studio to Lightwave generally using FBX export where I could. Started on one tonight called Streets of Venice, and as is usually the case, the cameras in DS are named Camera_01_Venice, etc. I prep the scene as I usually do make the FBX export. Very straight forward, no animation just cameras, props, etc. with a Bake Anything as the only export rule.

I import the FBX with Layout & make a new folder for it. I start working on the scene; cameras are where they should be, but with the exception of the default LW cam & one added to the Daz scene but didn't retail it's name, they're all named Camera_01_Morocco_1, etc!!!

Morocco, NOT Venice as they should be.

Now, I worked on a Streets of Morocco set some weeks back (by the same artist) but there've been several other entirely different projects in between and this never happened with them. Tried making the FBX a couple more times with same result.

Where/what/why is this happening? It does the same thing with FBX2012 so this is a bit scary.
    If you bake out a single camera from the scene, does it come in to Lightwave named Camera_01_Morocco_1 or named Venice?

Haven't tried that specifically but adding cameras to the scene prior to export ends up with those named Camera_1_1, etc. Other scenes export camera names as expected, just this one scene.

I opened the scene up in a text editor & changed the names & moved on but it's just such an odd thing.

TrueArt Support
    FBX can be binary or text file. If you will write in text file mode, you can load it in any text editor (I recommend ConTEXT), and find where is used (if at all!) word "Morocco"....

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    If you bake out a single camera from the scene, does it come in to Lightwave named Camera_01_Morocco_1 or named Venice?
    That's good thought.
    I have plugin which is converting LW scene with multiple cameras (Master > Camera Selector), to single camera with key-frames.
    But it results in lost of camera (LWItemID) references and camera names. Plugin can't fix it automatically, as it does not know about all these references.
    Maybe here is happening something similar.

Why are you exporting the camera from Daz, if there is no animation?
    Can you not just set up LW's camera.

I tend to export all Daz stuff as obj.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Ma3rk, you didn't do anything wrong, it's a (copy & paste) error in the original Venice scene by Stonemason. See screenshot, import as fbx2012 binary. I have not loaded the Marocco scene in LW yet, this is actually the first time I load a Stonemason scene in LW.

Attachment 144811

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Why are you exporting the camera from Daz, if there is no animation?
    Can you not just set up LW's camera.

I tend to export all Daz stuff as obj.
    I export the Daz cams only to compare the original; see what I'm trying to match to start with anyway. For mostly architectural, OBJ's are fine. It's when you get to organic models with the obj export out of Daz that the geom really balloons up, even with Base or 0 subd. Did a Camel a week or so ago. With FBX, one eyeball was a bit over 300 polys. The OBJ resulted in nearly 21K.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Ma3rk, you didn't do anything wrong, it's a (copy & paste) error in the original Venice scene by Stonemason. See screenshot, import as fbx2012 binary. I have not loaded the Marocco scene in LW yet, this is actually the first time I load a Stonemason scene in LW.

Attachment 144811
    Well Hey. Thanks for giving me a bit of my sanity back.

I'll drop a note on the Daz forums if anyone is interested over there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    FBX can be binary or text file. If you will write in text file mode, you can load it in any text editor (I recommend ConTEXT), and find where is used (if at all!) word "Morocco"....
    I might give that a try although i essentially did that with the .lws. My binary FBX's are coming in at just under 500Mb.

I export the Daz cams only to compare the original; see what I'm trying to match to start with anyway. For mostly architectural, OBJ's are fine. It's when you get to organic models with the obj export out of Daz that the geom really balloons up, even with Base or 0 subd. Did a Camel a week or so ago. With FBX, one eyeball was a bit over 300 polys. The OBJ resulted in nearly 21K.
    That’s interesting, I will have to try fbx myself.
    When I export characters, as you say they are hugely dense meshes.
    I will compare an fbx to see if it reduces a bit..........
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    That’s interesting, I will have to try fbx myself.
    When I export characters, as you say they are hugely dense meshes.
    I will compare an fbx to see if it reduces a bit..........
    OBJ Export is good if you want subd' meshes (high res / HD characters). As far as I know it doesn't export rigs.

If you want to animate, use FBX (I use 2012 or 2014 binary). The meshes should be 20k to 50k polys.

It works very well with ready-to-animate rigs, pose morphs and facial expressions (if you have them installed and marked for export in DAZ) as well as animations, cams and/or lights.

Alembic export works as well if you have purchased that option but that's more useful for baked animations.

FBX import works very well in Lightwave 2019. The LW FBX import bone settings need to be set correctly and it requires some texture adjustments.

After the FBX import you need to manually load the additional maps (normal, roughness etc.) in the appropriate material channels and modify some transparency settings (depending on which DAZ generation you're using).

Mostly I use custom DAZ characters exported as FBX in combination with a (non-LW) crowd sim / animation plugin with native DAZ rig support, but to animate / pose manually, it works fine in LW.

Unfortunately there seems to be an issue / bug in LW2019 with active deformations making OpenGL viewport performance very slow. I submitted a bug report for that a while ago.

Marander, might you have some tips when it comes to fiber mesh exporting?

I've no problem with the LAMH figures as he's designed it to export the Rman guides to obj. But I came across I guess an older figure (Camelia) that I thought was using mesh but their actually another type of guide and they don't export out with deformations. Can't find any way to convert them to geom either.

Marander, might you have some tips when it comes to fiber mesh exporting?

I've no problem with the LAMH figures as he's designed it to export the Rman guides to obj. But I came across I guess an older figure (Camelia) that I thought was using mesh but their actually another type of guide and they don't export out with deformations. Can't find any way to convert them to geom either.
    Hmm unfortunately I don't know... I would give LW 2018+ hair a try (create your own strands), but I haven't looked at it myself yet. Agree, LAMH works great.

I was reading some of the threads erikals & Kryslin have on their efforts. The LAMH editor, while still needing some polishes, seems to be really much more elegant in it's use than what LW has. I'm still a klutz with either, but watching the older LAMH vids is encouraging.

Now if those RMan guides can be exported to LW, then we've got something. I contacted him (Alessandro Mastronardi, i.e. AM) a few months ago & said he hopes to have that ability in a future release, possibly the next. In the mean time, he up & went and got himself hired by MPC in London! He recently stated though that his new position shouldn't impede development on LAMH & might even hurry things along.

He also mentioned to look for his work on the title character in the up coming "Lion King" this coming July. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CbLXeGSDxg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast