Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Denoiser ad Apple Metal

New Denoiser ad Apple Metal

Good morning. The new version of Lightwave has, among its features, a system to "clean" noise. The denoiser. It is specified that it can only be used by nvidia graphics cards. This means that Apple computers are no longer perfectly compatible with lightwave (if important functions such as this preclude the quality of brute force rendering).
    Are you working on optimizing lightwave for Apple Metal? Or will lightwave no longer fully support apple computers? Thanks, Marcello.

P.S.: Sorry ... but you "test" lightwave with a mac mini that has an integrated Intel card? I believe that you think the graphics sector is not very powerful !! You have to test Metal with the Vega 64 / 64X!!

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    The denoiser in question isn't an LW thing... it's an NVidia thing, its "built in" to the GPUs. There's nothing the LW team can do about that.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

… one thing they *could* do would be to add AMD ProRender to LW.
    Comes also with a de-noising function and is based on OpenCL and Metal (on Mac), but wouldn't be proprietary, which means that ProRender runs on Windows, Linux and Mac. On AMD and Nvidia GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by rsfd View Post
    Comes also with a de-noising function and is based on OpenCL and Metal (on Mac), but wouldn't be proprietary, which means that ProRender runs on Windows, Linux and Mac. On AMD and Nvidia GPU.
    Pro render is rubbish though.
    It's slower than cycle and it's still lacking too many features.
    Might as well stick with the native renderer.

Can't comment if it's rubbish. (And wouldn't).
    ProRender is in development, it's not a final product yet.
    Might be slower as Cycles, this might be related to OpenCL.
    But that's also the reason why ProRender is hardware-independent.

Suggestion for ProRender btw was just made in relation to the explicit question for a denoising function on Mac, which i.e. LW-native renderer does not offer.
    And if one needs a Denoiser at all is a completely personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by rsfd View Post
    +1, please

They could implement pro-render, but it would necessarily not have all LW features, which would be a major disadvantage, as opposed to coding their own (which would also be equally Sisyphean) , but the pro-render denoiser might be an option, or the new intel one. Pro-render is being actively developed, and has a lot of nice features, but it is pretty slow, and not yet very good. The whole 'metal' scenario is also going to cause a huge amount of headaches and breakages when Apple finally does ditch OpenGL, way more than the lack of a denoiser... and in turn when they go all ARM and ditch Intel, which at this point is inevitable!

easy fix, just ditch apple.

Or don't worry about the denoiser function..........
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Alternatively, crack open that Apple and yank the AMD card and install an Nvidia GPU.

^ … as we don’t have any information about solferino’s hardware setup, this seems a very theoretical advise (same as the redundant „just ditch Apple“ response).
    Apple does not offer any support for Nvidia GPU in its actual hardware. There are no „Web drivers“ from Nvidia for Mojave.
    Same as NewTek, we (Mac users) need to see where Apple is heading. Metal certainly is the future on macOS, so all developers will need to adopt this technology (or leave the macOS platform).
    Tobian already intimated what this means for companies like NewTek and similar…

Yep. I'm more and more thinking of keeping my Mac Pro for Final Cut Pro, Motion, Garageband and the likes, and building a specific windows (or Linux if LW were to be someday Linux friendly) PC for 3D. Unless NT goes Metal or Vulkan, which I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    Unless NT goes Metal or Vulkan, which I doubt.
    This isn’t my bag, but what’s left? Future feels a little wonky for LW on Mac.

Hence my thinking about switching from Mac to PC for 3D work. As for video editing, I'll keep my FCP/motion combo and plugins.

I’ve been doing some R&D over the weekend and it’s been such a horrible bugfest I’m hoping they will just say “we’re no longer supporting Mac” so I can move on to Blender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast