Thread: selection of polygons

selection of polygons

What happened to the holding down command and being able to circle the polygons I want to select ?
    This is driving me nuts - I'm on a MAC PRO using LW 2019.3 - and "section" to me seems all messed up.
    Is that feature done away with ? So much harder to want a particular area and can't seem to get it.

Can anyone suggest or help me with this?

Carol

Probably some of the presets got reset. See if holding the RMB when in Poly mode does it for you.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Just fired up modeler on this mac pro at work.
    Clicking and holding the right mouse button is the way this works. You don't have to hold a key to get this to work.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

yes it draws the line/circle but does not select all the polies in the circle ?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does - thank you so much !!

Thank you so much,
    Carol

This may have nothing to do with the problems you're having encircling polygons to select them, but LWDG made a significant (and disruptive, IMO) change to the default keyboard assignments in LW2018 and LW2019 which causes me a lot of problems when I first install them until I change it back.

For the 20+ years I've been using LW, the forward slash key (/) has been assigned to "Drop Current Selection". So, if I have points, edges or polygons selected, I've gotten used to pressing slash to drop the current selection and start a new one. Specifically, I do the quick-and-easy sequence slash-space-slash-space-slash-space to deselect all points, edges and polygons.

Someone in LWDG decided to change the default mapping of slash to "Drop/Restore Current Selection"! So, if I haven't kept track of whether I have anything selected or not, I have to check first before pressing the slash.

This change was VERY disruptive to my modeling workflow, so as soon as I install a new version of LW, I almost immediately CHANGE IT BACK! The others I change back are the number keys (1,2,3, etc.) to choose a specific view (1=back, 2=top, 3=right, 4=perspective, 5=Light, 6=Camera), since LWDG also decided to change these to toggle between two views of their choosing.

As I said, it may have nothing to do with your issues, but it was certainly a problem for me.

mTp

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    This may have nothing to do with the problems you're having encircling polygons to select them, but LWDG made a significant (and disruptive, IMO) change to the default keyboard assignments in LW2018 and LW2019 which causes me a lot of problems when I first install them until I change it back.

For the 20+ years I've been using LW, the forward slash key (/) has been assigned to "Drop Current Selection". So, if I have points, edges or polygons selected, I've gotten used to pressing slash to drop the current selection and start a new one. Specifically, I do the quick-and-easy sequence slash-space-slash-space-slash-space to deselect all points, edges and polygons.

Someone in LWDG decided to change the default mapping of slash to "Drop/Restore Current Selection"! So, if I haven't kept track of whether I have anything selected or not, I have to check first before pressing the slash.

This change was VERY disruptive to my modeling workflow, so as soon as I install a new version of LW, I almost immediately CHANGE IT BACK! The others I change back are the number keys (1,2,3, etc.) to choose a specific view (1=back, 2=top, 3=right, 4=perspective, 5=Light, 6=Camera), since LWDG also decided to change these to toggle between two views of their choosing.

As I said, it may have nothing to do with your issues, but it was certainly a problem for me.

mTp
    Ya, I'm always forgetting the keypad assignments when a new update gets released. Fortunately within point updates, there's a utility in OD Tools that makes it a fairly quick process to migrate all of your settings.

But on the Drop Selection thing, I went with a suggestion that Lewis has in one of his modeling tutes. Most mice have Forward/Back keys and to assign them accordingly. Then your only an index finger move away.

I had to get Logitechs Setpoint for Win10, but once that was in place I just set them to whatever Modeler had for the defaults which I think are the Return and x keys.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The really frustrating problem for me was to zoom in to a place on a model I need to adjust / change, *supposedly* unselect everything with the space-slash-space-slash-space-slash, and try to surround / select polys / points. Nothing would get selected, and I'd try again and again, only to zoom out and find that my *previous* selection (out of view from zooming in) is *selected again*.

I use my mouse side buttons for other things in a broader context (using SetPoint with a Logitech wireless mouse), so I don't want to commit them to LW. Sadly, the version of SetPoint for my older mouse doesn't allow the per-application settings - it *used* to, but doesn't any more after I upgraded it.

mTp