Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about droping some dollars on non-subscription Adobe alternatives ...

Affinity layers behave like Smart Objects by default, at least in terms of resolution and nondestructive filters and adjustment layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    As is PhotoLine - even more compatible than Affinity Photo is currently, in my experience. And PhotoLine supports live Photoshop plugins as well, which Affinity lacks. For example, the NIK plugins can be applied as live non-destructive filters in PhotoLine.

Mainly because Affinity does not have an equivalent for smart objects. This is also the reason why almost any filter/effect in PhotoLine can be made non-destructive, if needed.

Btw, the latest betas of PL add official support for the G'MIC set of filters (via the Paint.net version).
    https://gmic.eu/
    Well, that's cool. Until this thread I hadn't heard of PhotoLine, but now I'll need to look into it. Thanks!
    Last edited by sadkkf; 04-19-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    Well, that's cool. Until this thread I hadn't heard of PhotoLine, but now I'll need to look into it. Thanks!
    Be forewarned that the default GUI and workspace settings a rather awkward, in my opinion. It is very configurable, though. I changed the colourful icons to the new simple ones (latest betas which can be downloaded in the beta users section of the forum), and changed the overall GUI to a lighter colour.

Workspaces (panel layouts) can be created as well.

The documentation is okay, if sparse, and hardly any tutorials exist. The bane of any beginner PhotoLine user, I am afraid. My intention is to create a range of good tutorials for PL, but I just have to find the time. Work and life are so busy at the moment.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Be forewarned that the default GUI and workspace settings a rather awkward, in my opinion. It is very configurable, though. I changed the colourful icons to the new simple ones (latest betas which can be downloaded in the beta users section of the forum), and changed the overall GUI to a lighter colour.

Workspaces (panel layouts) can be created as well.

The documentation is okay, if sparse, and hardly any tutorials exist. The bane of any beginner PhotoLine user, I am afraid. My intention is to create a range of good tutorials for PL, but I just have to find the time. Work and life are so busy at the moment.
    I noticed that, too. Downloaded it the other day and immediately thought it was designed by a programmer. I'm glad it's configurable, though. That may save it.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    If you rely on Photoshop to do batch job of something, you'll be disappointed. There's no simple way to do the same type of batch operations like in Photoshop unfortunately.
    That is not true. Batch mode in Affinity Photo uses recorded macros like Photoshop does, and it even runs in parallel, which means more images processes quicker. So same same with a few different options.
    Michael Englyst
    Lightwave 2018.0.2 on an i5-4430S @ 2.7 GHz · 12 GB RAM · Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Don't get me wrong: I love using Premiere and AE and PS at work … just thinking my personal subscription is not really earning its keep at home.

Wondering if anyone else has either made this move or can offer guidance regards what is good and what to avoid.

1. Hitfilm Pro/Studio - https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-studio
    I've been using HitFilm Express for several years for all of my YouTube videos and some other things. I frankly love it and have made a few tutorials on using it. One thing I really like with Express is that it's free but you can buy add-ons that cover almost everything in the Pro version so if you don't need everything in Pro you don't have to pay for it. They just announced some really cool stuff coming soon too. First we'll soon be able to use all of the plugins from After Effects and second, the Foundry's camera tracker is being added. Currently I have the Mocha HitFilm plugin (and Mocha Pro) which has a camera tracker but is really only good in certain shots. The Foundry one should be a huge deal.
    https://youtu.be/0DYVwfzKlH0
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bitboy View Post
    That is not true. Batch mode in Affinity Photo uses recorded macros like Photoshop does, and it even runs in parallel, which means more images processes quicker. So same same with a few different options.
    That's a surprise to me. Perhaps it's hidden in a menu I've not found or thought of as useful then.
    A pleasant surprise, I'll add.

On the other hand, I've noticed Affinity Designer and Photo have insanely terrible performance with the new computer I built, with a Threadripper 2920x. On the i7 there wasn't a hitch, but on the Threadripper the cursor lags so bad it's unusable. I hope it's a thing that can be fixed either on my end, or that Affinity can do some magic on their end.

I googled a bit and found others have similar problems, even with previous generation Threadripper. So it's not a new phenomenon.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

You'll find the batch mode under File -> New Batch Job

I don't know if this works in this case, but maybe it will be of some help regarding Threadripper performance:
    https://www.techspot.com/news/78122-...rformance.html
    Michael Englyst
    Lightwave 2018.0.2 on an i5-4430S @ 2.7 GHz · 12 GB RAM · Windows 10 Pro

Aah, thanks, never seen that before.

I'm not sure it applies to the 2920x, as they're a bit different technically from what I've gathered.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123