Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about droping some dollars on non-subscription Adobe alternatives ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    Geez you guys are young.
    I started using Photoshop 2.5, before they introduced layers and you had to do all compositing in channels. You kids never had it so good.
    Remember that LW is coming from the Amiga and Photoshop is PC/Mac.

Photoshop? Pfwah! I used to do all my graphics work with Deluxe Paint (I, II, III, and IV) on the Amiga. And before that KoalaPaint and the Koala Pad (stone age early Wacom) on the C64:

I must have been 13 or 14 when I first used a 'graphics tablet' (Koala Pad). I don't think many here can beat that! :-)

I feel old now...

Back on track:

I moved away from Adobe products for my work quite a few years ago. My current weapons of choice are:

PhotoLine (general image editing, vector editing, small DTP tasks)
    NIK collection and FilterForge plugins which work without issues in PhotoLine
    InkScape (vector editing)
    Krita and ClipStudio EX (digital drawing/inking/painting)
    DaVinci Resolve (video editing and Fusion for effects)
    3d Coat (3d painting, Photoshop is terrible for this)
    OpenToonz (for general animation tasks, GIF production, Flash/AnimateCC replacement)
    ProMotion NG (layer based indexed image mode pixel art, awesome replacement for Photoshop's weak index colour mode, spiritual successor to Deluxe Paint)

I also have Affinity Photo, but find it incredibly clunky and rather limited in most areas compared to PhotoLine, excepting the focus stacking, panorama stitching, and HDR generation. I use GIMP as a sort of plugin to PhotoLine, and for some specialized channel jobs (unfortunately PhotoLine's channels are rather similar to Affinity Photo).

This lineup of software works great for me. Better than all the Adobe software in my opinion, with the exception of InDesign: I haven't found a good replacement for InDesign, and I still use InDesign CS6 or sometimes take out a month of rent to be able to use it for client work.

I am awaiting Affinity Publisher, which looks good so far.

I have to say that I LOVE working in PhotoLine. Most underestimated image editor in the history of image editing. It actually outperforms Photoshop in a number of key areas.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Far out what great feedback! Plus sounds like a line-up of guys with many valuable flight hours on the clock

----------

It's beginning to look like a Resolve + Fusion outcome regards a video/compositing solution.

For Affinity, the issue with channels not being like PS is probably a deal breaker.

One other option in mind has been to dial down the subscription to PS only … still thinking about that one.

About avoiding "free" - I'm the first guy who knows just how good some of that sw can be (just look at Blender's 3D capability), I'm just PC/Win bound and not convinced there's something in the free category which can match what the big boys do … but I am open to hearing otherwise.

WRT professional/hobbyist use - home is for tinkering with art and ideas, but what I am gunning for regards tools is capability at a justifiable price point - which means the total Adobe suite rental is a little overkill

As a hobby user these days, it is several years since I last earned any money in this field, my toolkit is largely determined by what I can afford. I do take advantage of bargains from time to time to give me access to some of the latest features, e.g. I signed up to the Unreal Engine Beta test programme last year so have a full version of Unreal 4.21 that I can continue to use indefinitely though moving to UE 4.22 may end my beta subscription. My toolkit includes:

Adobe CS2 which gives me Photoshop 9.0. It is a little creaky, to put it mildly, so I've been looking at either Affinity Photo or possibly Project Dogwaffle as both are affordable.
    3D Coat. I bought into this quite early on and keep it updated as it is an excellent package and I could not afford to change to Z-Brush
    Fusion 9.02. It meets my limited editing and compositing needs which is great as it was a free package. I may look at adding the free version of Resolve 16 in the near future as Fusion is now purchase only.

Unfortunately, my 5 year old Lightwave PC is in need of replacement so that is my current priority with regard to spending money in the next few months.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Inkscape and krita for illustrator and photoshop replacement, good for personal work, but...if you aim towards business work here in sweden, that wonīt do..they look for canditates that have adobe series skills...a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post

About avoiding "free" - I'm the first guy who knows just how good some of that sw can be (just look at Blender's 3D capability), I'm just PC/Win bound and not convinced there's something in the free category which can match what the big boys do … but I am open to hearing otherwise.
    Aside from Blender, the open source Krita is another notable exception. It is one of the best digital painting/drawing packages on the market, no matter free or not.

It is also the first drawing package to bring HDR painting to Windows (but this requires a HDR monitor).
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

PhotoLine might be an option, sometimes better than PhotoShop

(i do pixel painting often where PhotoShop excels, if it wasn't for that, maybe i'd be using all PhotoLine, not impossible)

https://www.pl32.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/PhotoLineSoftware/videos
    Last edited by erikals; 04-16-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    PhotoLine might be an option, sometimes better than PhotoShop

(i do pixel painting often where PhotoShop excels, if it wasn't for that, maybe i'd be using all PhotoLine, not impossible)

https://www.pl32.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/PhotoLineSoftware/videos
    The newest betas have a new pixel precise mode and a pixel grid view. The developers are also beginning to improve the outdated drawing tools, with much better support for Wacom tablets.

But no direct selecting and moving of pixels as of yet (which I know you would like to see). Also no indexed image mode.

Which is why I use ProMotion NG for pixel art work - indexed mode, full layer support (why can't Photoshop deal with layers in indexed image mode or 1bit image mode?). excellent pixel edit tools.

ProMotion NG
    cool app

I forgot to mention, I have used Krita and Inkscape at my current work (administrator, webeditor ..and much more)
    For correcting Logos, and for photoretouching of some of our products, Krita is a bit slow in that regards when dealing with large images and photoretouching, but I did like the way you can draw paths and edit those before committing to selection layers and before deleting backgrounds that are excluded with that selection.

If you need a lot of text editing in your bitmap images and also text effects, then Krita isnīt for you..in fact I think it īs horrible compared to photoshop for that stuff.
    But for painting artistic concept stuff..Krita over photoshop.

Inkscape is quite slow to start but have some really cool stuff in there, but it lacks a crucial function ..which is the filleting straight path corners, I think it is under development right now though, and some workarounds to fix it..perhaps even a plugin for it, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I forgot to mention, I have used Krita and Inkscape at my current work (administrator, webeditor ..and much more)
    For correcting Logos, and for photoretouching of some of our products, Krita is a bit slow in that regards when dealing with large images and photoretouching, but I did like the way you can draw paths and edit those before committing to selection layers and before deleting backgrounds that are excluded with that selection.

If you need a lot of text editing in your bitmap images and also text effects, then Krita isnīt for you..in fact I think it īs horrible compared to photoshop for that stuff.
    But for painting artistic concept stuff..Krita over photoshop.

Inkscape is quite slow to start but have some really cool stuff in there, but it lacks a crucial function ..which is the filleting straight path corners, I think it is under development right now though, and some workarounds to fix it..perhaps even a plugin for it, not sure.
    I agree, text editing, while somewhat improved in the latest version, is... extremely clunky to say the very least. But hey, at least it is live text! ;-P

Inkscape is quite slow to start
    yup to that

What about Gimp?    https://www.gimp.org/
    haven't used it much, heard good things about it though. certainly an alternative to look into.

FWIW, Affinity Photo is compatible with a lot of PS plugins.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12