Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about droping some dollars on non-subscription Adobe alternatives ...

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar

Thinking about droping some dollars on non-subscription Adobe alternatives ...

Don't get me wrong: I love using Premiere and AE and PS at work … just thinking my personal subscription is not really earning its keep at home.

Wondering if anyone else has either made this move or can offer guidance regards what is good and what to avoid.

So I have in mind solid products (wanting to avoid "free"), so far at the top of my list is
    1. Hitfilm Pro/Studio - https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-studio
    2. Affinity Photo - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Thoughts anyone? … and please, no "there is a great video editor in Blender 3D"

Look at DogWaffle. I'm having enough fun with it to get a ten-pack for my class.
    https://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/

Affinity products look slick enough. But dogwaffle is by a Lwer so I am supporting his efforts.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

The best competitor to Adobe CC is Adobe CS6. I'm still looking for a reason why I should stop using CS6. I don't use the alternatives much but I have purchased Dogwaffle/Howler and Affiinity products.

Blackmagic Davinci Resolve (with Fusion) is unavoidably free, or in a paid edition.

There's also plenty of good stuff in the GPL realm... like Krita, Darktable, RAWTherapee, Shotcut, kdenlive, Natron, etc. These do not need to be "free". There's nothing stopping anyone from donating. I'm not sure what the avoidance of "free" means. These GPL apps are more importantly free to do what you want (free to modify as much as you want), rather than just free to obtain.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I would go for Davinci Resolve instead of Hitfilm. It's a much better product in many areas and definitely would be my choice instead. I have an older Hitfilm Pro license and with Hitfilm you have to pay repeatedly for upgrades, which is not the case for Davinci Resolve. One time purchase and future updates are free.

And the licensed version of Resolve has HW accelleration for RAW, H.264/H.265 and other codecs which the free version doesn't do, among other things.

And I can only recommend Affinity products. They are a no brainer, especially in regards to features and price.
    Last edited by Bitboy; 04-15-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    Michael Englyst
    Lightwave 2018.0.2 on an i5-4430S @ 2.7 GHz · 12 GB RAM · Windows 10 Pro

I agreed with Bitboy, look a this glitzy walk through 4 ReZolve 16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ZXKXgxkm4

It depends on what level you are wanting to be at with software at home. Will you be using it at professional or hobby type level?

My thoughts would be with Resolve for editing and effects. I moved over to Resolve a few years back and haven't looked back. I also have Fusion16 (been using since fusion 5). I have Hitfilm Pro and it's been getting better (version 12 sped things up) but I primarily use it for its built in effects if I need something mocked up quickly (clouds, fire, etc.) Hitfilm has Mocha Pro plugin and announced at NAB 2019, will be getting Nuke's camera tracker sometime down the line (maybe end of this year) and it will be able to open some (recent) AE plugins.

Paintwise, I agree Affinity is a no brainer at the price. But, then again, I'm still using Mirage to paint and edit some things haha But lots of choices from the open source areas too.
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

Quote Originally Posted by Bitboy View Post
    I would go for Davinci Resolve instead of Hitfilm. It's a much better product in many areas and definitely would be my choice instead. I have an older Hitfilm Pro license and with Hitfilm you have to pay repeatedly for upgrades, which is not the case for Davinci Resolve. One time purchase and future updates are free.

And the licensed version of Resolve has HW accelleration for RAW, H.264/H.265 and other codecs which the free version doesn't do, among other things.

And I can only recommend Affinity products. They are a no brainer, especially in regards to features and price.
    Pretty much the same with the BMD products as well, not to mention having a lot more R&D horsepower.

I picked up Affinity Photo last year when Photoshop was having issues with EXR files.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Davinci Resolve for all editing, audio and color post. I'm not sure you can *replace* AE with Fusion if you intend to use it for motion graphics though. It's quite different, and will require a different thought process and more work to get to the same result.
    That said; if you're looking to replace AE for compositing, there's nothing better than a node based compositor. It's much more flexible.

Here's a GEM of information I just read about today; if you have a USB dongle license for Davinci Resolve, you can, as of now, use it with Fusion Studio 16. That's right! No need to purchase Fusion Studio separately! CRAZY!!

Affinity Photo (and Designer! It's a GREAT alternative to Illustrator) is good for the most part, but channel handling is quite off. If you require TGA export, that's also a big downside to both of them, and has been for many years, even though we're many users who have been requesting, nagging and kicking and screaming for TGA support since 2016, and even earlier. This may not be a deal breaker for you, just wanted to shed some light on it just in case.

About the channel handling in Photo. It sucks. You don't have a discrete alpha channel like you're used to in Photoshop. Instead each channel has transparency, which is quite confusing, coming from Photoshop... So I keep Photoshop around for these tasks.

If you rely on Photoshop to do batch job of something, you'll be disappointed. There's no simple way to do the same type of batch operations like in Photoshop unfortunately.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    If you rely on Photoshop to do batch job of something, you'll be disappointed. There's no simple way to do the same type of batch operations like in Photoshop unfortunately.
    Which is what it was originally developed for ironically. Visited a friend many, many years ago when he was at a little place up in Marin called The Kernner Co. He had an effect shot running on a early Mac stepping through a series of stills doing some blue screen extraction of some shot for "Memoirs of the Invisible Man". The script running was a beta of Photoshop they'd developed in house. Didn't get to meet John Knoll but always kept that memory knowing I'd witnessed the first inclining of the digital revolution to come.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The best competitor to Adobe CC is Adobe CS6.
    But where can someone get it?

Oddly enough, all the Adult Ed computer graphics courses im my neck of the woods use Adobe CS6.

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    But where can someone get it?...
    Well whippersnapper, you need to be old enough to have bought it in 2012...and to have had the noggin to know that what was coming next was going to be much worse.

Thank goodness that in 2019, the CTRL-Z key in Photoshop has now been mapped to "step backward" by default. A decade ago, we had to set that shortcut preference ourselves!
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Well whippersnapper, you need to be old enough to have bought it in 2012...and to have had the noggin to know that what was coming next was going to be much worse.

Thank goodness that in 2019, the CTRL-Z key in Photoshop has now been mapped to "step backward" by default. A decade ago, we had to set that shortcut preference ourselves!
    Whippersnapper, my foot! I've got PhotoShop 7.0 in the original box!! Now get off my lawn!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Whippersnapper, my foot! I've got PhotoShop 7.0 in the original box!! Now get off my lawn!!!
    Whistles quietly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photoshop3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	454.6 KB 
ID:	144755
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Here's the thread regarding using the Davinci Resolve USB dongle with Fusion 16 (just so it's confirmed):

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...p?f=22&t=88950
    Michael Englyst
    Lightwave 2018.0.2 on an i5-4430S @ 2.7 GHz · 12 GB RAM · Windows 10 Pro

Geez you guys are young.
    I started using Photoshop 2.5, before they introduced layers and you had to do all compositing in channels. You kids never had it so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast