Thread: Volumetric Distance

Volumetric Distance

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...etric-distance

The Volumetric Distance setting, new to 2019, is the distance the volumetric effect reaches from the ray.

Might there be an example or English translation of what this is?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...etric-distance

The Volumetric Distance setting, new to 2019, is the distance the volumetric effect reaches from the ray.

Might there be an example or English translation of what this is?
    Bad documenting.

I donīt understand it fully yet, though you need to set the " right distance " in order to have objects cast ray shadows, or have volumetric clouds cast godrays..difficult to set right.
    Too high value distance and the ray shadow effect is gone, and too low distance..and it wonīt show either.

This thread doesnīt belong here though, should be in Lightwave forums/general support.

As I understand it, if you have something near camera ..a building or a landscape, if you set volumetric distance to a couple of thousands of meters, you wonīt see a thing happening near the camera, it is sort of like the old hypervoxels volumetric clip distance I think, but in reverse as I recall it.
    if you have a cliff maybe 100x 100x 60 meters, you can not set a volumetric distance of 500 (I think) bu you need to set it to maybe 50 meters so the volumetric rays isnīt cut off before it hits the cliff ..and to ensure the volumetric distance isnīt cut off after, seems to be camera related.

For now I'm leaving at the default of 1 meter.

Maybe BeeVee will see this & add it to the to do list.

Sounds like it'll be hard to document more accurately too

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Sounds like it'll be hard to document more accurately too

B
    Maybe some render samples demonstrating. Ya know that old 1 pix = 1K verbage thaing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Maybe some render samples demonstrating. Ya know that old 1 pix = 1K verbage thaing.
    Better yet, provide a few sample scenes illustrating various setting..if it is of such importance.

I had a play with that setting earlier today, and couldn't figure it out for the life of me
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    I had a play with that setting earlier today, and couldn't figure it out for the life of me
    It shouldnīt be hard to set up various objects with various distance with the same volumetric distance applied to showcase those relations, and then same objects in other scenes with some different volumetric distance that can cast rays good enough, and then set up the main Global volumetric scattering, how you set up the global volumetric assymetry matters a lot as well, light size within the new suntype also matters.

Personally I may try to stay away from 3D experimenting 4-5 days ahead, so I donīt think I will get the time until after that.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but since the Volumetric Distance parameter is only available for distant lights which has a constant intensity without any falloff, no matter how far from the camera they are, It seems to me that the volumetric distance simply defines how far from the camera the distant light source "really" is, to provide proper effect or at which distance from the camera the volumetric effect starts.
    System info: CPU: Xeon X5680 RAM: 12GB DDR3/1333MHz MB: Asus P6T WS Pro GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win7, LW2018.0.7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    Maybe I'm completely wrong, but since the Volumetric Distance parameter is only available for distant lights which has a constant intensity without any falloff, no matter how far from the camera they are, It seems to me that the volumetric distance simply defines how far from the camera the distant light source "really" is, to provide proper effect or at which distance from the camera the volumetric effect starts.
    Correction, the volumetric distance is not only for distant lights, it is for the new sunlight, it is there for environment lights.
    will take a look in to the other stuff later.

Well, someone holler when you figure it out.

My guess though is that you'ze guy's will end up doing all sorts of tests, end up with an image or two that demonstrates what the effect actually does, and THAT'S what'll end up in the Wiki.