Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Couple of Basic Lightwave Questions Please

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Wow.

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it.

You've shown me something that I didn't think was possible.

Sir, you have my thanks.
    It must be new and something changed in 2019 eps importer, tried it in 2015.3 and it doesnīt work.
    Then I just recently saw this vid..and then I tried 2019.0.3
    It didnīt work the first time I tried, in fact it would only crash, but I wasnīt doing exactly what xswampy did..I namely forgot to use a layer in inkscape, and had previously been drawing without any layer.

Once I made a layer first and traced a bitmap logo, saved out as eps...it now works in 2019, but not in 2015 it seems.
    Thanks for the showcase Xswampy.
    So the fact that I just recently upgraded to 2019...explains why I thought eps was out of the question with inkscape.

With this ..I really do not see any huge need for illustrator, if it werenīt for the lack of filleting rounding of paths in inkscape.

I do get a lot of crashes though with importing eps to lightwave with inkscape..even if i make layers first.

Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by stevedross; 04-15-2019 at 09:12 AM.

How do you change the grid size in Modeler 2018?

Thanks

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedross View Post

Thanks
    You just zoom in and zoom out with the magnifying glass in the top right corner of each viewport or press the comma or fullstop keys to zoom in and out. If you look at the grid size indicator in bottom left of the Modeler window you'll see the grid size change.

I use the comma and period (fullstop) keys as Shabazzy mentions, but I mostly hold ALT and CTRL and mouse drag right to zoom in and drag left to zoom out, positioning the cursor where I want to zoom to. The Display Options (d) Units tab allows you do determine how often the grid size changes as you zoom:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_GridUnitChanges.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	144756

So, with the setting shown of 1 2 5, as you zoom in the grid size will change from (for example) 50cm to 20cm to 10cm and then 5cm, 2cm and 1cm, etc. and zooming out goes up in these same intervals.

RE: the ALT-CTRL-drag to zoom, I also use the ALT-SHIFT-drag to slide the viewports, and ALT-drag to rotate the Perspective view.

mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 04-15-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Comma, not "command"

This is the last question for (today).
    Back in the old days, I would just render everything out as an animation.
    What's the process for doing that in 2018?

Thanks as always.

The process is the same as always. Render as image files (not video animation) and then compile into video.

Recent discussion:
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...r-has-no-image
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

No way to render it out as an animation anymore?

There is always a way to render out as an animation video file. And there is the same reason not to render to a video file.

What happens when you've been rendering for 12 hours and then there's a fault that destroys the video file?

That's why rendering to still images (JPG/PNG/TGA/EXR/etc) is the sensible way to render animation. Then smack those images into a video file.

DOCS: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...with-rendering
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 04-17-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

No way to render it out as an animation anymore?
    It just isn't safe. Still possible in 2018 -19.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Back in the old days, I would just render everything out as an animation.
    Back in the old days, I would just load my film cassettes into the Scopitone.

I tried saving a four letter text as an EPS in Photoshop and Lightwave tells me "unknown file format" and "Not recognized by this file converter".

Is there a proper way of saving it out of Photoshop other than just esp so it will convert?
    After converting the text in Photoshop to outlines, use File > Export > Paths To Illustrator, specifying the name of the path. You can save to either .eps or .ai extensions. EPS Loader in Modeler can load that just fine (it doesn't care about the extension). I get good results specifying Spline Curves or Closed Polygons. Auto-AxisDrill worked for me in cutting out the "holes" in some letters.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried saving a four letter text as an EPS in Photoshop and Lightwave tells me "unknown file format" and "Not recognized by this file converter".

Is there a proper way of saving it out of Photoshop other than just esp so it will convert?
    After converting the text in Photoshop to outlines, use File > Export > Paths To Illustrator, specifying the name of the path. You can save to either .eps or .ai extensions. EPS Loader in Modeler can load that just fine (it doesn't care about the extension). I get good results specifying Spline Curves or Closed Polygons. Auto-AxisDrill worked for me in cutting out the "holes" in some letters when working with Closed Polygons.

After converting the text in Photoshop to outlines, use File > Export > Paths To Illustrator, specifying the name of the path. You can save to either .eps or .ai extensions. EPS Loader in Modeler can load that just fine (it doesn't care about the extension). I get good results specifying Spline Curves or Closed Polygons. Auto-AxisDrill worked for me in cutting out the "holes" in some letters when working with Closed Polygons.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast