Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think of expensive keyboards?

Wow, that Ergodox keyboard is very unique, best of luck with it. Thanks for the info on the DAS Keyboard, looks good.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

That DAS Keyboard sure looks good.

Even if I am not exactly disappointed with my Corsair K70, I'm very disappointed at the lack of support/add-ons in terms of software. The keyboard is very good, physically, and has amazing potential. But on official Corsair support not even the simple things work:
    - there was a profile database before (where users shared their configurations). It went down and nothing replaced it (except a couple user-maintained databases that only have "funny" profiles)
    - the configuration software was way complicated and unintuitive to use. They changed it, it's still complex but better. But in the meanwhile they ditched the profiles saving format, and now old profiles don't work anymore. Probably the reason the database went down, but still, it was about 2 years ago or more and still no news.

So, that DAS keyboard looks like the way to go in terms of software and support from the company. Nothing like a company run by geeks and power-users!
    _____
    /- /|/| 3D Animation and Special Effects

I have used the Logitech backlit keyboard already mentioned at home for some years now. I do prefer a backlit keyboard for working in a dimly lit room: it helps me feel more "grounded". I don't look at the KB for ordinary typing, but appreciate the non-typing keys being more visible. However, I know I consciously avoided RGB backlighting and at the time I bought this one, and it was quite hard to find a non-"gamer" lit keyboard.

I've used one of those MS ergonomic keyboards Craig mentioned for many years at work and liked it just fine as well. If it had come with simple backlighting, I would have bought one of those when my old one died.

If there's any retail outlets left in your area where you can actually lay hands on the keyboards, that's always best because it can be surprising how different their keypress action can be. I like a relatively soft touch and quiet, but that's a very personal choice. If it doesn't "feel right", you're never going to really like the thing.
    Last edited by tburbage; 04-28-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    If there's any retail outlets left in your area where you can actually lay hands on the keyboards, that's always best because it can be surprising how different their keypress action can be. I like a relatively soft touch and quiet, but that's a very personal choice. If it doesn't "feel right", you're never going to really like the thing.
    Thanks for the continued input on this topic. I totally agree with what you said here. I have a Harvey Normans and PC World nearby who have some keyboards out that you can touch and get a feel for. That's how I fell in love with the Razer Ornata Chroma, the keys have such a superb tactile feel to them. But at €110, no matter how much I love it, I just can't afford, or justify, buying it. If they could rip out the RGB lighting effects and just leave that great tactile feel and take fifty euro off the price, that would be awesome !!
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12