Thread: What lessons can LightWave's Nodes learn from Softimage ICE?

What lessons can LightWave's Nodes learn from Softimage ICE?

Since we are headed to what it seems a fully nodal workflow in Lighwave's future, I was wondering if we could take a page from one
    of the best nodal workflows from the past:
    SOFTIMAGE ICE

So tell us, what lessons could Lightwave take from ICE? What would be your wish list.
    I ma looking forward to your comments.

-R
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Very interesting thread here

- The first thing is nodal COMPOUND mode (I know Oliver has done something about it in ODTools) !
    - Command to remove nodes not used
    - better automatic nodes reorganization
    - a level folding nodes (you have 3 possibilities in SI)
    - a multi color comment windows
    Phil
    Last edited by Wireframex; 03-25-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Cores - 64 Threads / 2 x GTX 1080 + 1 GTX 1070 / Windows 10 x64 / 64 Go Ram / LW2019 & Softimage user

TrueArt Support
    Not sure about ICE features, but I asked about it couple times,
    have easy way to create groups i.e.:
    user selects couple nodes,
    presses "Make Group",
    nodes are cut'n'pasted in newly created "Group node" (inside its Node Editor).
    Inputs and outputs are recreated like they used to be prior action.
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2019
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireframex View Post
    - The first thing is nodal COMPOUND mode (I know Oliver has done something about it in ODTools) !
    I made the first compound node with custom Node Editor when LightWave did not have any built-in..
    It was called "TrueGroup"..
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ight=TrueGroup
    ...in 2009...
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2019
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I made the first compound node with custom Node Editor when LightWave did not have any built-in..
    It was called "TrueGroup"..
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ight=TrueGroup
    ...in 2009...
    Oh sorry I didn't know about it
    Long time Softimage user before come back to LW
    Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Cores - 64 Threads / 2 x GTX 1080 + 1 GTX 1070 / Windows 10 x64 / 64 Go Ram / LW2019 & Softimage user

-drag and drop would be nice.
    -A node commander would be my number 1 request. And be able to make groups of nodes or compounds show up in the list to quickly add like I could in XSI.

-the compound node is just really annoying to work with. I have to get some of the third party tools to try. Once you create a compound node you have to close the whole node editor out and open a new one to get back to the main node interface. it's ridiculous. Definitely need easy ways to navigate from node group levels.

-We should be able to have a list of node compounds/presets on the Nodes list and easily see them and add them

-Also why can't the main material nodes properties be displayed on the right panel. All nodes properties should be able to display on the right panel. If you double click or something similar you could have a pop up property panel.

-I miss XSI a lot in regards to it's intuitive linking of parameters. All property panels could be locked and you have as many open as you want. every parameter has a setkey button where you could do a bunch of things ie. easily link and drag and drop to create expressions. just rambling here

I'm not expecting LW to be XSI and I accept that it has it's quirks, but it shouldn't be too hard to improve the node editor with some little changes.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoecklem View Post
    Once you create a compound node you have to close the whole node editor out and open a new one to get back to the main node interface.
    No you dont... double click the output node, and it take you back up to the next level.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

thanks! that is very helpful