Thread: LW 2019 Plug-in Question

LW 2019 Plug-in Question

Hello,
    I've just installed Lightwave 2019 trial version. I tried to load the BenchmarkMarbles scene but it says it's missing (2) plug-ins. "No plug-in of type NodeHandler found with name Kappa II." and "No plug-in of type NodeHandler found with name Reflections." I looked for these in the plug-in directories and online, but I can't find them. Do these plug-ins exist and where can I get them?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    They're outdated parts of previous LW versions, no longer present. As it happens, you can see some details on converting scenes such as the marble one here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGgy...MnKF7-4W84I5Tz
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

RebelHill's surfacing tutorials are worth watching, but knowing what specific LW2019 surfacing features might be used to replace these nodes might be valuable.

According to the LW9 Reference Manual Volume III - "Surface and Rendering", Kappa is a faked subsurface scattering (SSS) method:

A faster less correct sub surface scattering shader sometimes referred to as “fake SSS”, Kappa was invented by the Finnish Scientist Antti Järvelä in 2006 exclusively for LightWave3D.

and I'd assume Kappa III is a variant of that. So, some implementation of SSS in LW2019 would probably be appropriate replacement functionality.

Also from the same manual:

Reflections is an advanced reflection shading model created by the Finnish Scientist Antti Järvelä. It offers a number of improvements and original features such as wavelength based dispersion, definable sampling, and an intelligent blurring algorithm.

so perhaps the Dispersion node, Sheen and Sheen Tint and Roughness might implement similar functionality.

Good luck!
    mTp